Medium Poster
Local Beach: seattle, wa
Style: freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Strutless kite in development on Maui

Postby stringy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:52 am

tswierkocki wrote:Can you carve a surfboard style turn on the paipo or is it more like riding a skim board?
I've ridden the paipo and the fin does make it very controllable, yet you can still spin it around like a skim. the board is one of the more versatile sticks to keep in your quiver. can't wait to get one of these for summer riding.
here's a shot of greg giving me a big turn in the pro pool.

KiteloopKip
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Coakley Bay, East End Bay, Judith's Fancy, Great Pond
Favorite Beaches: Coakley Bay
Style: Freestyle and Wave Riding
Gear: Best (Kahoona,Cabo 9m, and Ts V2 Kites), North (Fuse 12m kite), Dakine Harnesses, Slingshot Twin Tips, and a Firewire Hellfire.

Postby KiteloopKip » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:51 pm

Looks like the new technology for lightwind kiting.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:00 pm

How big the board actually is? From these pictures it looks much bigger than 5' 3", can some body measure it?

Thank you very much

Tomas

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:08 am

5’3” x 17 3/4” x 3/8” 7.5 lbs +/-
from the website. I think it is accurate, from the pictures I have seen, "official" and by users.

ripper tom
Medium Poster

Postby ripper tom » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:52 pm

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:25 pm

Wow, nice. Got some great reviews there.
...the 13 also looks alluring.
Last edited by tautologies on Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vacaloca
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Buenos aires, chascomus, punta rasa

Postby Vacaloca » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:53 pm

I just got my 17m cloud yesterday and today I tested it out. From the start it is pretty amazing how small it packs and how light it is; I am now packing my 10m Switchblade and my 17m Cloud in the same SB bag, and it fits good.
When I went out it was 8-9 knots according to the local wind meter, and in the river there was nobody out. I was eager to try it out so I inflated it and went right into the water. I was glad to be kiting with such low winds; the kite was responsive all along and rarely flapped, although when it did it was somewhat annoying (i.e. in some gusts the kite gets really powered and you need to let go the bar a little bit).

Even though I have a standard twin tip board (no race nor surf) I was able to keep the edge all the time. I would have benefited from a larger bar, as I was using the Switchblade's 12m. I'm not a super kiter, actually more of a beginner, but still it felt very similar to the kites I usually ride. Once I got used to the bar pressure and found the exact sheeting point I started to get a better response from the kite. Eventually with 13knots I felt over-powered and if it hadn't been so late I would have switched to my 12m Switchblade to continue riding; this kite fits my wind-range perfectly.

Overall I'm thrilled with the kite. I had fun, it wasn't a dull and suffering moment having to move the kite continuously to stay afloat. I had fun and kited in a day where I would normally wouldn't have, and that made my day. I actually don't need anything more than that. I'm glad I bought it, and I'm confident we'll see more of these in Buenos Aires soon.

ab

acctx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lake travis

Postby acctx » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:15 pm

will there be any of the boardriding maui strutless kites at the SPI kite roundup?

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:44 pm

Certainly looks like an interesting design :thumb: I think the biggest problem you will have in selling this kite will be that people will be concerned about the relaunching. Have you thought of doing a detailed video on relaunching it from different positions?

Harri
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Austria and Italy
Gear: ...

Postby Harri » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:37 pm

UKSurf wrote:Certainly looks like an interesting design :thumb: I think the biggest problem you will have in selling this kite will be that people will be concerned about the relaunching. Have you thought of doing a detailed video on relaunching it from different positions?

Watch this vid about launching the cloud.
Wind is about 6-7 knots, Tom has'nt got a Board on his feet, what does'nt make it eassier:)
At least what you may not do: swimming backyards fills the canopy with water and kills the relaunch...likely with foilkites (at the end of the film). Any other way is no problem to relaunch the cloud.
When the cloud is laying on the LE, it's no Problem to relaunch by pulling one leader
Line or backwards. BUT: what will happen, if the cloud is laying on the TE?? Just pull one leader
Line about 4 meters in, till the kite turns on the LE and do the relaunch as you prefer. Check the vid...and note, that it is hard to get the cloud on the water;)))
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=yo ... 3Dyoutu.be

Return to “Kitesurfing”