Favorite Beaches: la ventana, los barriles
Style: freestyle, Kiteracing
Gear: ozone edge and RPM
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

fracture in radius bone kiting

Postby andrewkiter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:12 pm

I broke my radius bone kiting, in an accident a begginer looped his kite out in the sand and i went flying and hit a lifeguards tower post doctors told me 1 month it was a straight fracture so my plan is to be back out one week after they take the cast off
P.S. Im only 16 years old
Cheers

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Re: fracture in radius bone kiting

Postby nherbold » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Besides the heeling of the bone you also have to take the atrophy into account. A 4 week cast is not too long and being 16 it will probably not be too bad, but you will only know for sure when you get the cast off and test the mobility and strength of your arm.

After I broke my wrist (complex fracture) I needed a cast for 3 months and after that the atrophy was horrible as I was only able to apply 1 pound of pressure with that hand. I tried going out after 2 weeks, but wasn't able to apply enough pressure to steer the kite so it wasn't safe and had to wait a couple weeks more before slowly getting back to my old self again.

Good luck

andrewkiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: hood river
Favorite Beaches: la ventana, los barriles
Style: freestyle, Kiteracing
Gear: ozone edge and RPM
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: fracture in radius bone kiting

Postby andrewkiter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:57 am

nherbold wrote:Besides the heeling of the bone you also have to take the atrophy into account. A 4 week cast is not too long and being 16 it will probably not be too bad, but you will only know for sure when you get the cast off and test the mobility and strength of your arm.

After I broke my wrist (complex fracture) I needed a cast for 3 months and after that the atrophy was horrible as I was only able to apply 1 pound of pressure with that hand. I tried going out after 2 weeks, but wasn't able to apply enough pressure to steer the kite so it wasn't safe and had to wait a couple weeks more before slowly getting back to my old self again.

Good luck
Thanks for the recommendation i hope i can get back out quick and after do you put anything in your wrist when riding? Thanks

Return to “Kitesurfing”