Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2013 switchblade IDS? not flipping on back???

Forum for kitesurfers
pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2013 switchblade IDS? not flipping on back???

Postby pmaggie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:15 pm

My Core Riots, two different bars (the old ESP and the new Sensor), same effect: just activate the QR and wait, the kite will eventually lay LE down completely killed. Reassembling is stupidly easy, no need to read the manual, no issues of tension/no tension etc.
After reading all these posts about the IDS, I frankly wonder why should I buy a Cab. I never rode one, maybe the answer is in the kite performances but the idea to have an emergency device that must be operated in such a difficult way is a little bit scaring. If I'm QRing, 90% of the times the situation is not very nice. The operation must be fast and easy, I don't want to find myself thinking "how to", not the right moment IMO.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby bnthere » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:42 pm

pmaggie wrote:After reading all these posts about the IDS, I frankly wonder why should I buy a Cab. I never rode one
kites and bars are different things.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:47 pm

To clarify/reiterate a couple of things.

The IDS was redesigned in 2012. Prior to that the bar was extremely simple to reset if needed. I think the engineers and riders were so enamored by the new features of the 2012 bar, that no one spoke up and said that it was a bitch to reset and nearly impossible to reset in the water. 2013 added some simple features that makes this far easier to do. Still not as simple as some bars, but not difficult. You no longer need three arms like in 2012.

I would not say the IDS is complicated to use. But yes the 2012 was very complicated to reset. The problem the OP described was only with his large kite (14m), in relatively light winds, and in the water. The the kite depowers but stays nose down instead of flipping on its back and there is still some residual pull. No one mentioned a problem on land or an issue with smaller kites. It would be interesting to hear if people are experiencing the same issue on land and with smaller size kites. In my experience no.

Looking at the 2012 and 2013 bars I do not think there is much difference in the IDS flagging. However, there is a big difference in the 2012 and 2013 SBs. Heck you can actually relaunch a 2013 14m SB, which was nearly impossible before. My guess the cause is in the change of the kite and not the change in IDS. The squared off wing tips makes the new SBs so much easier to relaunch, but I am guessing on the bigger kites make it hard for it to flip on its back and keeps is nose down in the water. I am guessing with the bigger kites it may take a little technique to flip it.

I agree that there are not that many times when you need to reset in water, they do exist. Most of the time when you pull the QR in the water something bad has happened with your lines and requires you to fix on land, but sometimes you can fix in the water. The IDS very rarely inadvertently releases. But it does happen in very rare cases. I have been tumbled in the surf and come up released. Those who can reset a 2012 IDS in deep water should look for a job as a Swiss watchmaker, bomb technician, or surgeon. Your hand dexterity makes you uniquely qualified.

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:17 pm

Slightly going off topic here, but one of the tricks i found with resetting the QR1 on the 2012 IDS system in deep water was first to ensure that the kite was sitting on the edge of the window. This will ensure the center lines are tight, and the ids line has a bit of tension. Also the kite itself will be depowered allowing the rider to focus on resetting the QR1.

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:54 pm

and just FYI....if the QR is accidentally activated (rarely happens), you don't have to reset the QR to relaunch your kite and ride back to the beach. Get to your bar, make sure your lines are OK, relaunch the kite in the normal way. Now, the kite will have more power than before the accidental release...like when you are unhooked. You also won't be able to pull the bar all the way in...so if overpowered, depower the kite. Ride back to the beach and reset the QR.

I suggest only to use this method if the QR is accidentally activated. If you had to activate as a result of being in danger, that things have gone badly, etc., I suggest you do a self rescue, and regroup and make sure you R OK, and that your equip is in good order.

The above is just my opinion as a rider and does not represent any recommendation of Cabrinha

steve

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Resetting the QR can be done in deep water. Simply clip your leash to the steel ring were your trim strap turns into your two center lines. The kite will have no power and you will have both hands and feet free if necessary to reset your system. Once reset, take care in letting the trim strap and bar back out in front of you.

Talk to instructors who utilize the Cab IDS system regularly. They will have some tips on managing the reset on land. (I tend to hold the bar in my armpit and use one hand to pull the bungeed red release mechanism up the throw, and reveal the clip system within, then with the other hand I hook the chicken loop up and hold the clip in place and can now use the other hand to pull the ids line just above the throw if needed.) I should have made a video last year when I was showing my instructors how to do it.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:26 pm

and just FYI....if the QR is accidentally activated (rarely happens), you don't have to reset the QR to relaunch your kite and ride back to the beach. Get to your bar, make sure your lines are OK, relaunch the kite in the normal way. Now, the kite will have more power than before the accidental release...like when you are unhooked. You also won't be able to pull the bar all the way in...so if overpowered, depower the kite. Ride back to the beach and reset the QR.
Yeah I done that in the surf, and felt real uneasy doing it. It seems real scary with the kite fully powered and all you see is the single IDS line holding it, rubbing in some awkward positions. Wondering if it would snap in that situation what would happen. Never seen a kite fully separated from the rider at altitude.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:59 am

SSK wrote:
Yeah I done that in the surf, and felt real uneasy doing it. It seems real scary with the kite fully powered and all you see is the single IDS line holding it, rubbing in some awkward positions. Wondering if it would snap in that situation what would happen. Never seen a kite fully separated from the rider at altitude.
you could definitely snap it, the IDS line is a bungee which is not meant to hold a load. I would not advise doing as that dude said...

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:20 am

and what strength do you think the IDS line is rated?
steve

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race

Postby shawn13 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:28 pm

Ive used my 7m 2013 SB once in 30+ knots. I had to used the IDS to self land as I was kiting alone. The IDS did not flag the kite. The kite stayed on the LE. When I began to walk up the front line, the kite relaunched and powered up. On the second try the kite still did not flag, but I was able to pull on the front line walking in a different direction to get the kite to flip over. Was kinda nerve racking in high winds.

I haven't tried the IDS on my 10m yet but I hope its not the same issue.

Return to “Kitesurfing”