Forum for kitesurfers
jedi1
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Boots - help please

Postby jedi1 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:29 pm

waynepjh wrote:
Erlend M B wrote:
LanBro wrote:...I would like to try boots but don't truly like the idea of being stuck to the board if something goes wrong.
What exactly are you worried about?
I almost drown with boots on. but I love them. I got flipped on my back with kite out to leash and was getting pulled under by my board. I could not flip over on to my stomach. I was overpowered so that might have something to do with it. Even if you arent throwing down you will cause the boots give you power and confidence.
Always attach your leash to the front of your harness. If your leash is too short, get a longer one.

LanBro
Frequent Poster
Style: Old School
Gear: 2019 Rebel / RPM
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby LanBro » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:04 pm

Thank you all for your replies. Can you recommend any Ronix or other good quality boots that have Velcro straps. Appreciate the info.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:17 pm

LanBro wrote:Thank you all for your replies. Can you recommend any Ronix or other good quality boots that have Velcro straps. Appreciate the info.
Ronix, Liquid Force, Slingshot, they all will work for what you want.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:53 pm

LanBro wrote:Thank you all for your replies. Can you recommend any Ronix or other good quality boots that have Velcro straps. Appreciate the info.
You might check out liquid force cradles, they generally run a bit cheaper than most boots and are awesome quality. its what i ride every session

jats2k9
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft Lauderdale
Miami beach
Style: Wakestyle, Freestyle
Gear: Best

Postby jats2k9 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:55 pm

I was looking through the internet for some boots and a question came up.
Are the wakeboarding binding the same boots as the ones for kiting or this are different.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:09 pm

jats2k9 wrote:I was looking through the internet for some boots and a question came up.
Are the wakeboarding binding the same boots as the ones for kiting or this are different.
The same, and most boards are 6" inserts so they should work with all boots.

g0nz0
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot, Lepe, Poole, Meon, Hillhead
Gear: Slingshot Rally, Naish Momentum, Custom surfboard, Skimboards
Brand Affiliation: 24-7 Boardsports employee & shop rider

Postby g0nz0 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:33 am

If you dont mind the open toe, have a look at the slingshot verdict boots. Light, comfy & easy in/out. Flexible baseless system as well so they should be fine on kiteboards.

Dan

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:55 pm

i've been thinking about boots too actually. Been riding snowboards and wakeboards for a while so I'm used to bindings/boots but just haven't been able to commit on the kite side yet.

Any tips on technique? For example, we're gonna fall, and I think with boots in the water, you're going to get dragged around a bit until you can get yourself sorts, where with bindings, you pop out, use yours legs to correct body position, relaunch kite, get board and off you go. Am I overthinking this? is it intuitive or are there are few more things to think about? I'm not worried about getting in or our of them as my launch is good for that, but it's more about what to do after a crash.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 pm

KiteCulture wrote:i've been thinking about boots too actually. Been riding snowboards and wakeboards for a while so I'm used to bindings/boots but just haven't been able to commit on the kite side yet.

Any tips on technique? For example, we're gonna fall, and I think with boots in the water, you're going to get dragged around a bit until you can get yourself sorts, where with bindings, you pop out, use yours legs to correct body position, relaunch kite, get board and off you go. Am I overthinking this? is it intuitive or are there are few more things to think about? I'm not worried about getting in or our of them as my launch is good for that, but it's more about what to do after a crash.
From my experience you want your leash attached to the front of your harness. So you get dragged forward not backwards. In a crash just let go of the bar let the kite crash or stop pulling you until you sort things out. You won't know if it's right for you unless you try it.

jats2k9
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft Lauderdale
Miami beach
Style: Wakestyle, Freestyle
Gear: Best

Postby jats2k9 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:12 pm

Good point you made KiteCulture. I also heard you are more likely to break your knees using boots when crashing. Is this a fact? What about when you crash and the kite pulls you in one direction while the board attached to your feet pulls against the kite? I guess your knees get stretched out badly.

Return to “Kitesurfing”