Style: Freestyle
Gear: bandit 2 10sqm

136x40
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kite repair

Postby sharkz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:40 pm

I have another problem..For starters I can surely recommend Stormsure for the normal bladders. It has been a life saver as you can use an old bladder to patch small punctures or even thumb sized holes! It's just perfect and sticks for ever.

But now my problem is that I bought some orange bladders and of course Stormsure doesn't adhere to them !! :angryfire:

When I bought them,they did tell me that I can't use my old valves with glue...but I said "naaah...I'll manage..."
So now I'm stuck with 3 new bladders because I don't have proper glue.
Sure I could buy 3x50 euro valve kits, but the idea was to use the old valves since they are working perfectly plus,150 euros don't grow on trees..
And I don't see any bladder repair kits either, so how am I supposed to fix holes in the bladder now??
And yes holes are a given.. I am a kite instructor and there are bushes around where we practice first flights.... once I had to put 37 patches on one bladder! :) Careful sticking , Stormsure and an old bladder saved the day,with no leaks :thumb:
Imagine having to pay 3-5 euros, for a 10 patches kit ...!! :nono:

supachip1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: south coast uk

Postby supachip1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:05 pm

also interested if someone can recommend a glue to use on some 2010 north bladders as they seem to me made of teflon!!
i have re-stuck all the valves (some more than once), its coming to the windy season where i live so i decided to pump the kites to check them..90% knowing there would be a problem of some sort..there was... both LE inflate and deflate valves came off both kites!!..i cleaned them properly and tried to re-stick them.., left it to go off over night, next day the valves just pulled off like it hadn't even been glued!, even tearaid pulls off around the valve area..totally fed up with the kites and want shot of them but they are worthless unless they can be pumped up.. new bladders is not an option as they are not worth it, i would rather put the money towards new gear.

i have used, clear pattex, and aqua seal neither has worked.

it held on my cabrinha and wainman anyone had this problem?

any advise greatly appreciated.
Last edited by supachip1 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jats2k9
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft Lauderdale
Miami beach
Style: Wakestyle, Freestyle
Gear: Best

Postby jats2k9 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:46 pm

3m adhesive marine sealant. you can get it at home depot, there is one that cures in 24 hours. I used it on one valve that peeled off and after the result I tore off all valves and paste them back. That thing is bomb proof. That way they won't come off again on the spot. You can leave the kite on your car, the sealant is permanent.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:06 pm

jats is on it. 3m 5200 make sure u get the "fast cure" (24 hours) not the slow cure (7 days). aquaseal is also good. Make sure you clean it with rubbing alcohol first, has to be clean to make a good seal. light sanding will help create a mechanical adhesion in addition to the chemical one.

sharkz
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lefkada Greece

Ag. Giannis
Favorite Beaches: Ag.giannis,Nisaki,Ag. nikolaos
Style: Freestyle
Gear: bandit 2 10sqm

136x40

Postby sharkz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:25 pm

Thank you. :thumb: Tomorrow I'll check the local stores and see how it goes

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:01 am

Hope that this helps :bye:

sharkz wrote:Thank you. :thumb: Tomorrow I'll check the local stores and see how it goes

airtimekite
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: AIRTIME kite, Inc.

Postby airtimekite » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:51 pm

sharkz,
but the idea was to use the old valves since they are working perfectly plus,150 euros don't grow on trees..
We understand that people want to re-use original valves so we developed the Valve Trap that allows you to quickly re-use any original valve with any bladder. You can check out videos and details here: http://kiterepair.tumblr.com/tagged/valve%20trap
And I don't see any bladder repair kits either, so how am I supposed to fix holes in the bladder now??
You can use any repair tape that uses a rubber based adhesive. That means you can use Tear-Aid type A or even a common, inexpensive packaging tape like this:http://tinyurl.com/brp9n7p

I would recommend packaging tape for any pin holes and the Tear-Aid if you have a large tear that needs repairing.

Any other questions feel free to use the "ask us anything" feature on our tumblr site:http://kiterepair.tumblr.com/ask

Casey

airtimekite
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: AIRTIME kite, Inc.

Postby airtimekite » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:19 pm

supachip1,
also interested if someone can recommend a glue to use on some 2010 north bladders as they seem to me made of teflon!!
You're right, the older North kites have bladders that are some of the hardest to adhere to. It is the lubricant used in the PU film that is causing the problem you describe.

The best way to clean it is to use 99% alcohol (nothing less). Apply the alcohol with a paper towel and really scrub the bladder well. Then buff the bladder dry with a clean dry t-shirt. If the bladder is clean it should feel "tacky" to the touch when you run the back of your finger over the area you cleaned. If it doesn't feel "tacky" repeat the cleaning process.

Again, feel free to "ask us anything" at this link:http://kiterepair.tumblr.com/ask

Casey

stephk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oka, Quebec
Lachine, Quebec
Valois bay, Quebec
Pointe-Claire, Quebec
Venise en Quebec, Quebec
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod
Waquoit bay, Cape Cod
Cape Hatteras, NC
Style: freeride
Gear: Epic, Cabrinha, Kiteaid

Postby stephk » Wed May 01, 2013 1:55 am

Rubber based adhesives will dry up over time and eventually fail. You need to use a permanent adhesive...
Packaging tape also uses a rubber based adhesive that dries up, the backing becomes yellow and can even crack. If also does not stretch at all like your bladder does and will cause stress points. Not recommended for bladders repair at all.
I have not tried the 3m product posted earlier in this thread. But this product seems to be a PU glue like stormsure, aquaseal, gluefix... So i am not sure if the 3m glue would work any better...
Definitely would need to do a controlled test to see what performs the best. One thing is for sure, anything witha cheap rubber based adhesive will not hold for long...

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Wed May 01, 2013 8:52 am

Correct,

thats why I'd only recommend PU based glue. But be careful in very hot and/or very humid some of the mentioned will fail too...
stephk wrote:Rubber based adhesives will dry up over time and eventually fail. You need to use a permanent adhesive...
Packaging tape also uses a rubber based adhesive that dries up, the backing becomes yellow and can even crack. If also does not stretch at all like your bladder does and will cause stress points. Not recommended for bladders repair at all.
I have not tried the 3m product posted earlier in this thread. But this product seems to be a PU glue like stormsure, aquaseal, gluefix... So i am not sure if the 3m glue would work any better...
Definitely would need to do a controlled test to see what performs the best. One thing is for sure, anything witha cheap rubber based adhesive will not hold for long...

Return to “Kitesurfing”