Progreso, Yucatan, Mexico
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha, North.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Progreso trip report.

Postby lcal » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:17 pm

We are visiting Progreso for the first time in April. I have looked at all of the posts about the area and it looks like it will be a blast. Does anyone have any recommendations for good places to eat, bars, or things to do or see that we should not miss while we are there? We will have a car and plan on seeing as many archaeological sites as possible and visiting Merida when the wind is not kiteable. Also we are staying a little west of the pier and would like to know if there are any places along the beach that we should not be kiting as we do not want to mess things up for local or other kiters. Also if you are in the area and want to meet up or do downwinders, let me know.

Thanks for your replies!!

Good winds!!
Last edited by lcal on Sun May 05, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lcal
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pacific Northwest USA
Favorite Beaches: Kitebeach, Maui
Manzanita, OR
Boca Grandi, Aruba
Los Barilles, MX
Gorge, OR

Re: Progreso in April?

Postby lcal » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:23 pm

It looks like a lot of people are interested, from the 75 views of the post. Unfortunately there must not be many people that are in the know on this location. I will do my best to get a trip report up as soon as I can after we get back. In the meantime if there are any persons that have recent info on this location, please let me know.

Thanks.

mhooper
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Squamish, BC/Vancouver, BC
Favorite Beaches: Squamish, Gorge, Hatteras
Style: Racing, Foil
Gear: Duotone, North

Postby mhooper » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:25 am

I've been to Progresso 3 times in March, but not April. Each time we were really lucky and rode 9m most of the time. We were east of the pier and rode from our house, but also Marina Silcer. There are quite a few cenotes to go swimming in.

If you have time, try and get to Isla Holbox.

When the cruise ships come in, the Malecon gets a bit crazy and a bit pushy. The rest of the time you will find the locals to be really friendly.

You can spend a lot of time in Merida. It's an amazing city with a LOT of history. The cathedral is impressive, the zoo is definitely worth checking out. Even hanging out and people watching downtown on a Friday or Saturday night is worth it. During the day Progreso can be comfortable if there is wind, but expect Merida to be hot! Daytime temps can easily be high 30's (C).

Have a great time!

Romes_A
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 83kg
Local Beach: Progreso - Chicxulub - Telchak . Yucatan, Mexico
Favorite Beaches: Chicxulub , Wind All the year .
Style: Oldschool- Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha - Nobile - ION
Brand Affiliation: Any that Wants to sponsor me , or support me to push the brand forward.

Postby Romes_A » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:08 am

Hello Overthere,

I just seen the post, I live in Merida I kite every weekend near progreso in a fishermans town call Chicxulub, is where the big meteor crash earth millions years ago.

well, we have got wind all year round, and main season just started is during march - June, North East , East winds everyday. The mornings are really quiet no wind at all or strong south winds that will alloud you go kiting in the lagoons near Chelem town, but around 1 or 2pm the wind just BOOM, 20 knots to 30 knts until sunset.

This year seems to be delay. strong and constant everyday winds havent arrive yet but in any close day will start.

You can kite whereever you like, you have got more tan 100 km of kiteable coast. People everydays get to gether to the left side of the big pier if you are seen it in front of you. You will be welcome to kite there we locals are very very friendly.

In progreso town you will find good restaurants and bars all are good and must of them sell the same kind of things.

hope this help you out, dont doub in contact me for more info.

good winds !!

lcal
Rare Poster
Manzanita, OR
Boca Grandi, Aruba
Los Barilles, MX
Gorge, OR

Postby lcal » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:49 pm

Thanks to both of you for the replies. We are arriving Saturday night and will be out kiting Sunday if there is wind. We are staying west of the pier in a house on the beach. Hope to meet you out there! :bye:

Romes_A
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 83kg
Local Beach: Progreso - Chicxulub - Telchak . Yucatan, Mexico
Favorite Beaches: Chicxulub , Wind All the year .
Style: Oldschool- Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha - Nobile - ION
Brand Affiliation: Any that Wants to sponsor me , or support me to push the brand forward.

Postby Romes_A » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:54 pm

Is it windy baby? jajaja

30 knts?

lcal
Rare Poster
Manzanita, OR
Boca Grandi, Aruba