Gear: F one six edition 10m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

what kind of kite to buy?

Postby shlomis » Wed May 08, 2013 3:42 pm

Hello
I am in a big dilemma
I am looking for Kite suitable winds in the Mediterranean (Tel Aviv especially) during the summer (when the winds weak) about 9-12 knots , I weigh 72 kg.
i'v been warned that there is not enough wind, and the big kites are not the most comfortable and good to work with. I'm wondering about the F- ONE BANDIT 5 14M with whom I can catch a good wind range (according to what it says is working between 8-20 knots).
On the other hand I consulted a frind of my ,an active member in the kite scene,and he actually recommended on the bandit 6 10m, fits more my size (but not Winds terms that i mentioned), and i will be more comfortable with that size, and is much more practical, but I'll have to wait for the winds to match.
really would love to get help on the subject, and also recommendations on other kites
thank

sleepymexi
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: what kind of kite to buy?

Postby sleepymexi » Wed May 08, 2013 6:06 pm

I'd recommend an Ozone Zephyr. They have a huge wind range and are well-made. I have ridden mine (2010) from 8mph - 26mph (measured on a windmeter) and I just switched boards (146x46 down to a 135 then 132). I wasn't getting tea-bagged or anything crazy. If your average winds will be low to mid teens, you will get more days in riding while still having fun.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Re: what kind of kite to buy?

Postby dyyylan » Wed May 08, 2013 6:38 pm

There are a few companies that advertise 8-9 knots for smaller kites, but the reality is that unless you weigh 20 kg, you're not going to be doing much other than flying it on the beach. Even with a 14m, any 14m at all, you're going to be doing a lot of work to ride in 10 knots. If that's the range you really are shooting for, I wouldn't recommend anything but one of the dedicated lightwind kites, NRG light breeze 16m, zephr, fat lady, turbine, etc. Even then, you will still need a good light wind board which is difficult to do anything other than mow the lawn with

Return to “Kitesurfing”