Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Large kite with big wind range

Forum for kitesurfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Large kite with big wind range

Postby ronnie » Thu May 09, 2013 6:26 pm

edt wrote:
power in kiting goes as velocity squared not cubed. wind power goes as cube because as wind blows faster turbine spins faster but we don't twirl our kites like a propeller and zip directly downwind.
I sit corrected - thanks. I was looking at wind power when I saw the cubed info.

harppa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Epic spots of the northshores of Finland
Gear: Eleveight kites, Brunotti boards, ION neoprene and Moses hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Running a school and importing Eleveight, Brunotti, Peter Lynn, ION, Shark SUP and few others.
Has thanked: 0

Postby harppa » Thu May 09, 2013 6:36 pm

Best TS! Tried some others and TS isnt as trainlike with the pull. Meybe some have marginally better low end but with windrange it kicks ass for sure

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jumarcil » Thu May 09, 2013 7:19 pm

Windfreak87 wrote:Starting kiting last spring, basically I can go upwind and do simple transistion and going to be working on jumping once the water is in the 40s. I currently have a 13 and 10 crossbow. At 102kg. On my 161 litewave wing I am staying up wind at 14knots with my 13 and hold it to 22knot comfortably with my 146 slingshot misfit. I was thinking about picking up lightwind kite with good range like the fat lady, zephyr, core, best ts. Basically Im looking for kite where i can have a better lowend to use my smaller board but can hold it until 20knots comfortably then I change down to 10m. I would sell my 13m to help cover the cost of the new toy. Basically I want to get some advice from others with experience with these kites. Thanks
Easy at your weight I would go with a Speed 3 21m. The float is incredible and the kite has a great range. I was able to hold my Speed 3 19m up to 20 knots in steady wind at 75kg so I assume that at your weight it would be ok.

If you are afraid of foils I would say that your best bet would be the Core 19m XR2. This is one the nicest big kite I have ever flown. It really doesn't feel like a 19m. My friend weighs about 150 pounds and he can hold it up to +- 20 knots. Really powerful yet it is pretty fast, no problem on downloop, relaunch is great, quality is top notch. The hangtime is also great, probably the best after a foil and Ozone Edge. I haven't tried the Cab velocity which is also suppose to be good for jumping and hangtime.

The best TS is a great kite but at your weight you might be missing a little. It depends on how really light you wanna go. You oughta try the Infinity V2 which is also a pretty good tractor with really good pivotal speed for its size. Relaunch is also god and the bar pressure is perfect. Less range than the Xr2 and Speed 21. But at your weight it might be a good option.

Windfreak87
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Michigan coast line, Michigan, United states
averaging 10 to 35 knots depending on location and wind direction
Style: Freeride for now
Gear: 2011 cabrinha crossbow 13m & 10m
161 lightwave wing
146 slingshot misfit
Been thanked: 0

Postby Windfreak87 » Fri May 10, 2013 1:50 am

Thanks to all for sharing their experiences with these large kites, I'm not looking to be the first or last one on the water, I was to be powered up on my 146 misfit, while the average 175 to 185 is powered on their 14s and 12s are well powered. I can manage with my wing, but its just not as fun. Basically 12 knotsis where I'm looking to start riding and then change down to my 10m around 20 or so knots.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri May 10, 2013 4:47 am

Ozone Zephyr

Younger
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dublin

Postby Younger » Fri May 10, 2013 9:06 am

Hi Windfreak - just coming to this thread late so you might have decided already.

I am heavier than you at 111kg(245lbs) and also ride a Litewave (154x47 I think). Used to ride a 13m but spent too much time wallowing knee deep. Got an Ozone Zephyr 17m 2011 and have not used the 13m since. The Zephyr takes me up to ~ 24kts and in light wind I can still stay upwind when the little guys are doing likewise. Flies very nicely. I havent flown the other big kites so I cannot offer a comparison there.

Good luck.

Windfreak87
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Michigan coast line, Michigan, United states
averaging 10 to 35 knots depending on location and wind direction
Style: Freeride for now
Gear: 2011 cabrinha crossbow 13m & 10m
161 lightwave wing
146 slingshot misfit

Postby Windfreak87 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:20 am

Younger wrote:Hi Windfreak - just coming to this thread late so you might have decided already.

I am heavier than you at 111kg(245lbs) and also ride a Litewave (154x47 I think). Used to ride a 13m but spent too much time wallowing knee deep. Got an Ozone Zephyr 17m 2011 and have not used the 13m since. The Zephyr takes me up to ~ 24kts and in light wind I can still stay upwind when the little guys are doing likewise. Flies very nicely. I havent flown the other big kites so I cannot offer a comparison there.

Good luck.
Thanks for the comment, I was 255 lbs last season, way to many days that if the wind was a couple knots stronger I would be up and rolling. Nice to know if I sell my 13m I won't miss it. Right now I'm leaning towards the fat lady do to the quantity of good reviews ranting about its wind range and a local rep is hooking me up with an awesome price, still plan to demo a couple before the decision is made.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Fri May 10, 2013 11:19 am

Oldnbroken wrote:Ozone Zephyr
..................................................................... :shake: ......................................................................................

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Fri May 10, 2013 11:51 am

Windfreak87 wrote: Nice to know if I sell my 13m I won't miss it. Right now I'm leaning towards the fat lady do to the quantity of good reviews ranting about its wind range and a local rep is hooking me up with an awesome price, still plan to demo a couple before the decision is made.
Getting hooked up with awesome price is surely a plus :D
Ranting magazine reviews should be taken "lightly" :wink:
Glad you are down to 224 lbs

17 down to 10 works for lighter weight riders in Florida
At my beach riders 75kg and over ride 19++ down to 12 or 13.5 and they also own 9 or 10

Regardless of what you buy you will have great top end in the wind range
My only concern is the low end when summer really sets in and 10kn wind is gutless

.................................... :pump: :surf: :sun: ...............................................................................................
Last edited by SupaEZ on Fri May 10, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Telekiter
Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites:
-7.5 m, BEST kahoona -09
-9 m Switch Element -12
-13 m Switch Element -12
-17 m Blade Fat Lady -11
-10 m, FS Psycho3, -08

Boards:
-OR Mako 150x40.
-OR Mako King 165x44
Brand Affiliation: Switchkites Team rider.

Postby Telekiter » Fri May 10, 2013 11:57 am

At your weight you will surely need a 11-12 m kite to complement the 17-19m kite your planning on.

/Urban.

Return to “Kitesurfing”