Forum for kitesurfers
mv17kite
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Board-harness-hip pain

Postby mv17kite » Sat May 18, 2013 11:24 am

Hello i have just got back into kiting after a year off due to left hip pain caused from kiting . Kiting is about the only thing that causes the pain , it is the loading up of the back foot that seems to cause the problem,so i am now looking for a board that requires less edging and relies more on the fins like my old windsurfing short boards. i am not into freestyle or big wave riding just want to be able to get out there cruise explore carve some nice turns and be able to boost some jumps. I mostly use 9m and 11m kite and weigh 190 lbs. I am also looking to try new harness have been using my mystic waist harness but just doesn`t feel right maybe i need to switch to seat? thanks for any suggestions

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Re: Board-harness-hip pain

Postby irwe » Sat May 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Board: Ocean Rodeo Mako (more even leg pressure, like snowboarding, handles chop well, powered transitions, not the best load and pop board)

ION shorts harness (no more back, hip pain)

Dynabar (great for toeside, rotating body for upwind)

IMO

Regards,
Ian

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:04 pm

I have a Dakine seat harness with a Dynabar and never have any pain. A doc told me once my hip pain was really my back somehow radiating pain to my hip and he was correct.

The Dynabar also stopped the sore ribs I was getting from the old bar and pad.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat May 18, 2013 3:20 pm

surfboard could really help especially if your stance is forward and balanced, ideally strapless.
Strapless lets you put your feet where the load is balanced without any feeling of "torque" on your back. If the stance is too far back and you "ride the fin" a lot, back leg loads up and your hip will feel it. Ride the rail and rockerline, use those curves!
For a twintip, go a bit bigger but with more rocker. Rocker helps balance the pressure too.
Maybe a mako, as said above.
Do try some different harnesses too...

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat May 18, 2013 10:11 pm

yeah. try a seat harness. the pull is distributed lower down so may help the hip action.

The boys are right marko's are smoother and surfboards are more weight forward.

I'd also try different binding widths aswell.

you could even consider different kites? I find my lower aspect kites easier on the body and the higher aspect kites harder.

mv17kite
Rare Poster

Postby mv17kite » Sun May 19, 2013 12:22 pm

thanks for the replies i will order a new seat harness today but need some advice on boards i like the idea of maybe race/surf oriented board but really have no idea whats out there just a brief search last night came across Nugget,Capri gt ,singshot dialer, liquidforce fatty----- any suggestions ?

Sheep
Medium Poster

Postby Sheep » Mon May 20, 2013 2:05 am

Interesting topic for me as i suffer the same thing on my right hip side (from which I think is linked from on old skateboarding accident which fractured the hip)

Ive got a few other issues with my lower back which may be related as well so i have to use a waist harness

Now for general riding i use an old 2008 127x42 Skywalker board which is firm and its a little hard in the chop and ride it on the rail as much as pos and i dont have any problems

Then i was looking at improving the low end on light wind days and rather than buy a larger kite, id go with a longer board

I went with the Monk 135x42 and liked the board alot but it was affecting the hip
Then i found an old 2007 135x43 Skywalker and thought that would be perfect as it would be similar to the 127x42 but it felt like riding a plank of wood with no flex in the chop. Would have been ok on flat water only
Then i tried the MJ Comp 135x41 and it had a similar feel to the Monk.. cuts thru chop softly but the pain came back
I figured that the tips were producing vibration so then decided to go for a firm board but to have more rocker to counter the chop to produce a softer ride
Ive got an Axis 135x42 LTD now and so far so good but ive only ridden it 3 times so will need more time on it to make sure

Hope that may help and what works for me may not necessary work for you

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Mon May 20, 2013 2:21 am

Learn to land your jumps with your good hip back regardless if you are jumping port or starboard...helps me.
Also, try the new Cabrinha Tronic Wide...I've switched from a stiffer board and it seems to help as well...very smooth in the chop, smooth on the landings and goes big

steve

Return to “Kitesurfing”