The Gorge
Style: Free/surf
Gear: Vader 5'1"
North Neo 6/8/10m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Do I want a North Nugget?

Postby unbob » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:42 pm

screwfootsc wrote:In a few months (March/April) Firewire will release the 5'1" Baked Potato. It is the Sweet Potato (which North seemed to duplicate) but with a refined design and curves to handle more conditions in the surf surf yet maintain the characteristics of the Sweet Potato for light wind. This board will rocket you upwind and keep you planing in the light junk we all struggle in. Check out the vid.

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/surfb ... ked_potato

In addition, some sick new shapes and rides coming soon in time for the new season.
Even though you didn't state as such, I'm assuming the 5'1" BP will be a "real" kiteboard as opposed to a "surfer" surfboard. If so, I also assume that means it's "beefed-up" in some fashion to withstand the additional rigors of kitesurfing (vs surfing). Will there be a price increase? Thx, Rob

windsurfer-resurrection
Been thanked: 0

Postby windsurfer-resurrection » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:12 am

unbob wrote:
screwfootsc wrote:In a few months (March/April) Firewire will release the 5'1" Baked Potato. It is the Sweet Potato (which North seemed to duplicate) but with a refined design and curves to handle more conditions in the surf surf yet maintain the characteristics of the Sweet Potato for light wind. This board will rocket you upwind and keep you planing in the light junk we all struggle in. Check out the vid.

In addition, some sick new shapes and rides coming soon in time for the new season.
Even though you didn't state as such, I'm assuming the 5'1" BP will be a "real" kiteboard as opposed to a "surfer" surfboard. If so, I also assume that means it's "beefed-up" in some fashion to withstand the additional rigors of kitesurfing (vs surfing). Will there be a price increase? Thx, Rob

http://www.thekiteboarder.com/2012/11/2 ... -firewire/
Firewire is rolling out three new kite surfboards for 2013. Starting with the 5’1” Baked Potato
The 5’1” Baked Potato is a super fun board and is really well suited for light wind when set up as a quad.

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:57 pm

windsurfer-resurrection wrote:
unbob wrote:

http://www.thekiteboarder.com/2012/11/2 ... -firewire/
Firewire is rolling out three new kite surfboards for 2013. Starting with the 5’1” Baked Potato
The 5’1” Baked Potato is a super fun board and is really well suited for light wind when set up as a quad.
I wanted a firewire hellfire uk distributor,no stock till june,a bit of a joke,TONY

kitenb
Frequent Poster

Postby kitenb » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:42 pm

Here is a short video from this past weekend, mainly riding the Nugget. Nothing exciting, but hopefully it shows how the board rides... It was really light winds out there, and small surf. I had a blast on the board. For me, these are the conditions I think the board is the best for(or a similar style board). And unfortunately, I get a lot of these conditions in Florida. :(

https://vimeo.com/56661124

lobodomar
Frequent Poster

Postby lobodomar » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:23 am

screwfootsc wrote:If you want to spend $1,000.00 + go right ahead. Or, save some cash and buy a board from a real shaper/manufacturer who knows that they are doing when it comes to surfboards.

In a few months (March/April) Firewire will release the 5'1" Baked Potato. It is the Sweet Potato (which North seemed to duplicate) but with a refined design and curves to handle more conditions in the surf surf yet maintain the characteristics of the Sweet Potato for light wind. This board will rocket you upwind and keep you planing in the light junk we all struggle in. Check out the vid.

The kite-specific BP is already on FWs website:
http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/kites ... oards.html
Too bad it costs 243 euros more than the other FW kiteboards :o
Funny thing, in the US it's the same price, in the UK and EU it costs more than the other shapes, and in Australia it costs less:
http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/kites ... oards.html
Wonder what's the logic behind these price differences?

Coddy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Squamish and kits beach
Favorite Beaches: Kits beach in a NW, squamish, La ventana, Pt Douglas 4 mile beach, north shore lanai,
Style: Advanced lawn mowing
Gear: Ocean rodeo mako king, sector 60, ocean rodeo rises, fat lady

Postby Coddy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:43 am

[quote="kitenb"]I had a chance to ride the 2013 Ozone Reos this week, along with the new Nugget, Skater, Trespass, Compact, and Cypher. Thanks to my local kite shop for hooking me up with some of these demos.

Here is a video from this week... nothing exciting, but hopefully you can get a feel for how the board rides...(and some of the other boards)... and the Reos are amazing.. :thumb:

Great clip, it's great to see the different boards. Would you say the nugget is a little squirrelly you seem to make a lot of super short constant carves rather than the flowy carves you made with the other directionals. Any more detailed thoughts on the Cypher? That is another board I am getting very interested in.

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Postby tswierkocki » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:49 pm

I just saw that Firewire is now offering their Baked Potato board in kite construction:

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/kites ... otato.html

Coddy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Squamish and kits beach
Favorite Beaches: Kits beach in a NW, squamish, La ventana, Pt Douglas 4 mile beach, north shore lanai,
Style: Advanced lawn mowing
Gear: Ocean rodeo mako king, sector 60, ocean rodeo rises, fat lady

Postby Coddy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:33 am

tswierkocki wrote:I just saw that Firewire is now offering their Baked Potato board in kite construction:

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/kites ... otato.html
That looks very interesting - but why make a kiteboard 5'1"??? Doesn't 4'11" make for a whole different baggage category as a kiteboard or is that just a Canadian thing? I would have thought 2 inches less would also work but im no shaper.

AGK
Medium Poster

Postby AGK » Wed May 22, 2013 12:54 am

Another new Nugget owner who really, really likes it!

Background -- kiting about nine years but not that frequently, most lately with Ocean Rodeo Mako 150 and 165s and a Slingshot Celeritas. Pretty competent but not particularly talented (this review may be most useful if you are curious how the board rides for non-experts).

So far I've had 6 sessions -- four strapless and two strapped -- with a 6 m and 10m kite on flat water chop. Everything from well-powered to underpowered.

It's pretty idiot-proof to ride -- very easy to get going, and stupidly easy to go upwind on. I know these kind of comparisons are not always that useful, but the other day I was able to stay upwind easily on a 10m and people with 12-14 m kites and surfboards or twintips either didn't bother to launch or couldn't stay upwind. I was really surprised.

Jibing is also really easy compared to the Celeritas -- it carves smoothly,keeps speed through the turn, and is so stable that you can do less than perfect footwork and still recover and save the jibe after switching feet.

The ride is not like a twintip or the Celeritas -- I come from windsurfing and for me,it's like a really loose and slashy bump-and-jump board. I like kites lots better than windsurf sails, but I have never really liked kiteboards more than windsurf boards -- till now. It rides up over chop, can actually stay on and surf big wind swell, and is overall just really, really fun to ride.

Two other benefits that are great for me and may not matter to many people: 1) I always have trouble keeping speed up and holding ground toeside. This board makes toeside easy for me. 2) Usually a session of an hour or so leaves me with sore knees (i'm old) -- the Nugget leaves me with zero knee pain so far.

The one thing so far that is wrong with the board -- for me -- is strap placement. I know many people will always ride it strapless, but I will be happier in big swell or waves for now with straps, and I'd like to jump it. The front strap is fine and easy to use (and jibing with the strap is about as easy as jibing strapless) but the back strap is wayyyyyyy too far back -- it's pretty useless. My back foot so far has never wanted to go further back then resting against the front of the back strap. If North is going to put inserts on the board, they should pay attention to where they put them (I haven't had the board out overpowered yet -- maybe that's where having the back foot so far on the tail works?)

For me, this board was a great purchase and makes me really excited to go kiting.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Wed May 22, 2013 10:02 am

I ride my Nugget with straps and I think the inserts are at the right spot were they belong to. Usually you ride a surfboard with a wider stance than your TT. Takes a bit time to get used to but you really want that wider stance while carving.
Especially for surfing the wave you want that back foot right at the tail between the fins.
But also going straight and blasting (and that does not mean overpowered) I want my back foot there and really ride on the tail and the fins like you would on a raceboard.
For me the same is true when jumping. The tail of the Nugget is already so wide compared to my normal surfboards. If I had the foot more forward I would hardly be able to engage the rail and the fins.
The only time when I have my back foot in front of the back strap is when going upwind with less power in the kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”