Forum for kitesurfers
voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Red on left side

Postby voodoospirit » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:01 pm

tautologies wrote:
voodoospirit wrote:if u really want to help someone, u use the QR, u dont control his bar.

it would be far better that peeps learn how to use they QR, than a pointless red color on a bar.
Nw this is why I think people gotta start thinking. You cannot imagine a situation where this is not possible?

The guy being dragged.onhis belly. Id like to see you try to access that cl.
Or some guy in the water?

i got drag in sand, in water and in snow....
1st: let go the bar
2nd: use your QR which is accessible even dragged on hard surface.even with a seat harness, u can access it...

1st: save yourself
2nd: save your kite

and not the other way around, that s a kitesurfer mentality. if u had barbwires, cliff, rocks, u learn how to reach your QR in whatever the position you are or YOU ARE DEAD.
and it s not a color system that would have saved my ass , multiples times.

romkite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: France
Style: Freeride TT & Strapless surf
Gear: 5&7&9 2010 SS Octane
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby romkite » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:32 pm

briansuntrax wrote:As an ex Hobie Cat and windsurf racer who was indoctrinated in the red/green port/starboard thing, I have always thought in these terms for kite bars. However an earlier poster mentioned an aditional stripe along the full length of one side of the bar for the colour blind.
This got me thinking, why should we have to think about which colour should be on which end when we can simply have a right side and a wrong side (not end) of the bar ? we could have a white side and a black side, or any 2 contrasting colours, plus maybe a stripe/s or zig zag for the colour blind.
Surely this would be much easier to remember than which colour should be on which end?

For the purists we could still have a red floater and leader line on the left.

Or have I forgotten something?
Not sure what's the best way to handle the colour blind problem, but I think you are forgetting the issue with the experienced rider : it is easier for them to have red left both front & rear so that they can catch the bar within a flash after a crash when the bar is twisted half a turn. This also apply to Tautologies example of someone trying to catch a bar on the beach during an accident.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:26 pm

voodoospirit wrote:
i got drag in sand, in water and in snow....
1st: let go the bar
2nd: use your QR which is accessible even dragged on hard surface.even with a seat harness, u can access it...

1st: save yourself
2nd: save your kite

and not the other way around, that s a kitesurfer mentality. if u had barbwires, cliff, rocks, u learn how to reach your QR in whatever the position you are or YOU ARE DEAD.
and it s not a color system that would have saved my ass , multiples times.
I do not disagree, but this guy was laying on the CL. We've had others we flipped around and released the QR, but in this case it was a no go. One guy dove on his back and I dumped the kite until we could access the QR.

He was heading for hard surfaces really fast. It was even after he disregarded that we recommended a lesson....you know all the normal stuff...

Morres
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Gaastra

Postby Morres » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:11 pm

PVITfrumBYRAM wrote:http://www.surf-store.com/gaastra-x-4-line-bar-2013/

I found this bar, in my opinion, poor color swatch design. Green highlights and white bar looks great like the new Epic bar and some Cabrinha bars, but I would have kept the left side white with a red L mark and the right side the black side with a white R mark.

Leds on the kite at night are sick, having lights on the board would be better, ground affects could illuminate the water and spray!
the black/white has been designed so it adds up with the kite.. kite is also black/white...so you can see instantly(if you setup correctly) which side you need to pull. There is no better contrast than Black/White...so it actually makes ALOT of sense.

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:38 pm

Well, I think it is obvious red should be left on a bar - I really don't understand how that can be an issue after so many years.

That said, the only time I ever look at the bar is when rigging - placing the red side to the right on the ground.

When crashing, there is no way I'm going to look at the bar, figure out the color, translate that to left or right, and then translate that to the desired kite movement. Especially since red is normally to the right when looking at the bar during rigging.

I gently pull the line I think is right, and if the kite does the wrong thing, I pull the other. Much faster and works every time, also when you can't see where the kite is, head under water. Even if I get the line wrong, pulling it hard will usually loop the kite back to somewhere neutral.

The absolut last thing I would do in a crash would be negotiating the finer details of the bar.

Untwisting lines - I look at the lines and the kite, not the bar.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:21 pm

interesting how intense people are about this. nobody cares what colors your bar is. you are the only person that needs to know what color is on what side.

when it comes to "assisting" a person that is attached to a kite that is out of control handling the bar is definitely not the best way to help that person. releasing their QR is, or taking a single flying line and pulling it in enough to disable the kite is.

looking at the control bar after every crash (kite or rider) is hammered into students heads, repeatedly. it is something that is said almost more than anything else: "look at your bar, check for line tangles, look at your kites, check for line tangles, look at the bar and handle it the correct way, relaunch the kite. take your time, look at the bar.

simple line crosses do not effect the performance of a kite, you can sort out how to hold the bar by experimenting with which line to pull on, or you can look at the bar and know right away what is up.

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:53 pm

Well - I'm not saying you shouldn't look at the bar per se, it's more about getting back into control way before you get to the point where you can tangle the lines, let alone untangle the lines. That is, while flying face forward 2m above surface, then 1m below surface. Board possibly somewhere. Not a perfect science - still working on it.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:20 pm

SalmonSlayer wrote: I agree that red should be on the bar and obvious, but, product design (in the long-run) is a reflection of perceived customer demand.

Example:
A while back Dimitri/Epic asked this forum how the handle should look. He provided multiple choices, I believe Epics bar is a result of that feedback.
No it isn't...he put red on the right. :o

+1 for red on the left. standardized.
I do realize you can learn anything, but it would be easier / safer for all if that was a standard.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:23 pm

tautologies wrote:
SalmonSlayer wrote: I agree that red should be on the bar and obvious, but, product design (in the long-run) is a reflection of perceived customer demand.

Example:
A while back Dimitri/Epic asked this forum how the handle should look. He provided multiple choices, I believe Epics bar is a result of that feedback.
No it isn't...he put red on the right. :o

+1 for red on the left. standardized.
I do realize you can learn anything, but it would be easier / safer for all if that was a standard.
Are you serious, or is this a joke ?

Red on the right ?

I hope it is a late aprils fool joke :rollgrin:

:D Peter

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:38 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Are you serious, or is this a joke ?

Red on the right ?

I hope it is a late aprils fool joke :rollgrin:

:D Peter
I wish it was....I am assuming someone made a mistake..but they were arguing as if it was not the case. Maybe Geronimo want to comment...
Attachments
epicbar.jpg
epicbar.jpg (9 KiB) Viewed 913 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”