Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North 2013 light wind freeride+big airs kite: Fuse or Dyno?

Forum for kitesurfers
Michelks
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sao Sebastiao- Brazil
Favorite Beaches: tahiti, buzios
Style: freerider
Gear: crossbow 16, vegas 14,switchblade 12, crossbow 10
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: North 2013 light wind freeride+big airs kite: Fuse or Dy

Postby Michelks » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:28 pm

I finally had my first session with the Fuse 18.
I weight 86 kg, rode it with a tt 135x40.5 and 4 line bar (hard bar settings) with 27m lines.
Wind was 15/16 knots,(people were using 12 and going upwind easily).
I had to completely under power the kite, and let the bar out most of the time.
For sure this is my high end for this kite. I can´t say i was overpowerd since I rode safely but not comfortably most of the time.
It was hard to hold my edge for higher jumps, so most jumps were done with kite sending close to zenith, hights and glides pretty normal for an 18.
There was no condition to try kiteloop jumps or downloop transitions in 15 knots (very disapointed)
Bar pressure was medium and the turning speed not fast.
I am not a good high end rider, I am much better when kite is at low to medium force since I like to work the kite for jumps and tricks.
I could have changed the bar to soft and moved the back line one point to see what happens, but the wind was close to 20s so I went with rebel 13 and jumped better than with 18.
In this first test the kite didn´t achive my expectations.
I hope this kite suits me when the wind is 8/ 11 knots , that´s when I need it.

Stinky
Rare Poster

Postby Stinky » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:10 pm

"Light wind freeriding + big airs, Fuse or Dyno?"

I weigh 175 lbs / 80 kg. Have had a 15m Dyno the last two seasons, this year the 2013 is on 27m lines. I ride 90% of the time strapless, so my light wind set up is the Dyno and a Nugget (or a raceboard). Amazing combination for light winds. The Dyno boosts big, but the build is designed around racing and speed first, so it is engineered to be as light in the air as possible.

I'm not as interested in tricks in light wind, but if I were, I would choose the Fuse. Built for more abuse and will weigh a bit more, but if you're going to knock it around a bit, I think it would be the better choice for you. They're still amazing kites in light wind.

(Lots of time in on both kites.)

WndRdr
Medium Poster

Postby WndRdr » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:30 pm

Michelks wrote:I finally had my first session with the Fuse 18.
I weight 86 kg, rode it with a tt 135x40.5 and 4 line bar (hard bar settings) with 27m lines.
For sure this is my high end for this kite. I can´t say i was overpowerd since I rode safely but not comfortably most of the time.
It was hard to hold my edge for higher jumps, so most jumps were done with kite sending close to zenith, hights and glides pretty normal for an 18.
There was no condition to try kiteloop jumps or downloop transitions in 15 knots (very disapointed)
I am not a good high end rider, I am much better when kite is at low to medium force since I like to work the kite for jumps and tricks.
I could have changed the bar to soft and moved the back line one point to see what happens, but the wind was close to 20s so I went with rebel 13 and jumped better than with 18.

You have been riding very close the upper end North gives to Fuse 18 for your weight. Those are pretty accurate estimations, so no wonder it had lots of power. I am lighter rider and I found out that I can ride 16 with a little more than I was expecting based on the figures North gives for 80kg's. With older kites I had to decrease the high end figure more than I have needed to do with 2013 kites. It seems that the real usable/optimal windrange is bigger.

Michelks
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sao Sebastiao- Brazil
Favorite Beaches: tahiti, buzios
Style: freerider
Gear: crossbow 16, vegas 14,switchblade 12, crossbow 10

Postby Michelks » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:13 pm

WndRdr wrote:
Michelks wrote:I finally had my first session with the Fuse 18.

You have been riding very close the upper end North gives to Fuse 18 for your weight. Those are pretty accurate estimations, so no wonder it had lots of power. I am lighter rider and I found out that I can ride 16 with a little more than I was expecting based on the figures North gives for 80kg's. With older kites I had to decrease the high end figure more than I have needed to do with 2013 kites. It seems that the real usable/optimal windrange is bigger.

You are right, I had another session in 12/14 knots with a North Nugget and sometimes a tt 135x 40,5 . this time I used a different set up ( light bar feel) and the kite behave much better.
About the wind range North gives to the kite there´s a double information. The manual that comes with the kite says 5/15 knots, and at the North website 9/17knots.
One thing I know this kite can´t stay in the air in 5 knots( I tried), so the website is more accurate than the manual.
My other light wind kites are rebel 14 (10/20 knots and Flysurfer sp21 (6/13 knots), this way I cover all wind variations, but there´s a problem with sp21, it can´t be used when it rains (I lost many sessions becouse of it). I bougth an 18 thinking about the low end, and if it can´t be used in 7/9 knots I will get rid of it the next day.
I have the impression that I should have bought the Dyno 17.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:43 pm

... so, Toby, get a chance to try the stock fuse or 2013 Dyno??? Got any juicey info for us???

Imba
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Boracay
Favorite Beaches: Boracay
Style: Air
Gear: F-one 10m, Cabrinha Switchblade 14m, Cabrinha X-Bow 16m.

Postby Imba » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:23 pm

Puetz wrote:... so, Toby, get a chance to try the stock fuse or 2013 Dyno??? Got any juicey info for us???

Yep i also wander to hear some info from Toby.
But, seems like he just dont have opportunities now.

Plus since he is "100% packed" with Radical S + 18 DYNO.... i doubt that he run aroun searching for any other combinations.
----------------------------------

And one more thing. 2013 Fuse (and Dyno) is noticebly "shorther\wider".
Less AR = less upwind = less pull = more drag = less hangtime\float.

So, i doubt that those 2 models can offer something great for hangtime\airstyle (if that was you question).

PSS: I heard that new 2014 Edge is a super HighAspect\float machine... tho didnt try it.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:44 pm

... tap tap tap ,,, is this thing on??? Still f''k all from every day users hey ,,,,,, any thing???? Any racers out there want to chime in, give us your thoughts??

Toby, have you tried the Dyno 2013 17m yet?? My beloved 18m blew up,,,,, again,,, I'm sick of spending money repairing it, the last LE tear has done my head in,,, I'm getting really keen for your take on the new kites???

Robbie :)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:23 am

Robbie, the fuse will be discontinued in 2014...need to move on I feel. Shame. You still need that bigger kite over say a zephyr hey...I'm out of ideas man sorry. Maybe just anotehr dyno man?

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:50 am

Westozzy wrote:Robbie, the fuse will be discontinued in 2014...need to move on I feel. Shame. You still need that bigger kite over say a zephyr hey...I'm out of ideas man sorry. Maybe just anotehr dyno man?
... yeah the Zepher is just a little small for my power requirements and I don't mean physically small, it's still a 17m after all but its low down light wind power isn't quite enough for me.

Mind you, 15 knots and the Zepher is a real contender for the funnest kite, it would be my medium wind kite for sure. Tried it in apparently 28 knot gust (according to local airport readings) recently and it delt with them easily. Very nice kite indeed! I believe the top end of the Zepher is very good, its just not the king of kings in light winds like my old 18m Dyno (RIP my old darling) with my weight.

cheers,

Robbie :D

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:18 am

Westozzy wrote:Robbie, the fuse will be discontinued in 2014...need to move on I feel. Shame. You still need that bigger kite over say a zephyr hey...I'm out of ideas man sorry. Maybe just anotehr dyno man?
There won't be a 2014 Fuse? Or just not in the big sizes?

Return to “Kitesurfing”