Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slack in my outside lines

Forum for kitesurfers
norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Re: Slack in my outside lines

Postby norcom » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:21 am

I don't think you had enough wind. Which is a smart move to start with when you don't know what your'e doing. I had the exact same experience when I got back into kiting last weekend.

It's been three some years since I gave up on kiting and started windsurfing. I was never good, took some lessons and could self launch/land. I decided to get a big kite for the low-wind days a few weeks ago. Last weekend I went out and played around before the wind picked up to try and remember everything.

Trying to launch below 8mph, the kite will not have enough shape and the rear lines will seem WAY TOO LONG. That is exactly what I had noticed when I tried to launch by myself. I even tried adding more air to the kite with not much affect. You need wind to push the kite open before the rear lines will shorten as the kite opens.

I launched and landed once the wind picked up. Worked on my body drags up and down wind and then tried to get on the board a few times. Saw a squall coming through so I packed up and hauled ass. Though I waited for it to pass and hoped there would be more wind for me to break out my windsurf gear. To no effect of course, which is why I got the big kite. :wink:

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby pj sofine » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:23 am

MikeYQM wrote:If he were to die, he would be the last person worried about his hospital fees.
You don't know how hard these hospitals go to collect their money ,got offered a job once and asked if I'm willing to go to hell and back!

icebird
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby icebird » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:40 am

Go on a holiday and get sensible lessons then - it doesn't work messing about by yourself. Too dangerous. Lessons is not so much about learning to surf on a board as it is about how to avoid and how to survive accidents. Only accidents will teach you that by yourself.

Yes, as already suggested, it is probably because the wind was too light - the topic seems to pop up. Can also be stretched lines as suggested. Also, kites at speed generate more pull and may take up some slack once out on the water.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:34 pm

creed wrote:Check to see if your lines are all equal.

Find yourself a bit of space. Run ...
SERIOUSLY ??

Do Ya Really think it's wise to offer any kind of explanation on How-To , when
the author has already stated he Never took lessons ?

I think : "about all your doing is helping the guy DIE" !!
Most people on this forum KNOW how easy it is to kill yourself in this sport , and
he probably Doesn't know you can tow a 2-ton car with a kite.

Bille

creed
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lancing
Camber
Cooden
Normans Bay
Tidemills
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Ozone C4's
Shinn
Been thanked: 0

Postby creed » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:00 pm

Bille wrote:
creed wrote:Check to see if your lines are all equal.

Find yourself a bit of space. Run ...
SERIOUSLY ??

Do Ya Really think it's wise to offer any kind of explanation on How-To , when
the author has already stated he Never took lessons ?

I think : "about all your doing is helping the guy DIE" !!
Most people on this forum KNOW how easy it is to kill yourself in this sport , and
he probably Doesn't know you can tow a 2-ton car with a kite.

Bille
Have a day off

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:04 pm

Yea Dude, go feel Good about giving free advise to a Rank-beginner on the internet
But
I'm gonna recommend the lessons from a real live Human !!

Bille
Last edited by Bille on Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

creed
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lancing
Camber
Cooden
Normans Bay
Tidemills
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Ozone C4's
Shinn

Postby creed » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:41 pm

Bille wrote: "about all your doing is helping the guy DIE" !!
The guy is going to fly his kite regardless of what anyone else says! You are not going to change that fact accusing me of "helping the guy to die"

Enjoy your day off :D

Painkiller86
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Southampton NY
Gear: Best Kahoona V4 2012

Postby Painkiller86 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:16 am

norcom, I think you are right, there was probably not enough wind that day so the kite would get up but just sink and the lines would sag. I think I've gotten a little bit better and there was a fairly good day two days ago so I got it up and flying.

Just so everyone knows, I do not intend to go kitesurfing without any instruction at all. I was simply waiting to find the right instructor that wouldn't beat me over the head and try to upsell me on overpriced lesson packages. I've only launched my kite on the beach a few times and would not go into the water without proper supervision and instruction. I had another kiter show me the proper safety protocols before even launching the first time. I think I have since found a teacher who had 10+ years experience and has taught many of the other kiteboarders I see around. I completely agree with everyone here that kiteboarding is too dangerous a sport to go out and attempt all by yourself, and I would not be that presumptuous to think I could just figure it out on my own.

That being said, I think advice and opinions should come from everywhere, including message forums because everyone has something unique and different to contribute, and having only one source of information, whether it be a friend, a video, the internet, or an instructor is usually not a good thing. I am an advocate of collecting as many viewpoints and opinions as possible.

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:23 am

Painkiller86 wrote: Just so everyone knows, I do not intend to go kitesurfing without any instruction at all. I was simply waiting to find the right instructor that wouldn't beat me over the head and try to upsell me on overpriced lesson packages. I've only launched my kite on the beach a few times and would not go into the water without proper supervision and instruction.
That is the right attitude - but it isn't right. You cannot know, but the most dangerous place to be is on the beach trying to launch a kite. This is why we react so strongly.

Please get the instructions first, then play with the kites - for your sake, for other beach users sake, and for the kite community that wants beaches to stay open for kitesurfing.

Just fooling around a little bit is actually so dangerous it can kill you or others and can close down a beach and call for general regulations elsewhere.

No matter how careful you are, you have not trained to respond rationally - this is done in the water where there is more room for error. Shit does hit the fan, it it does so regularly for beginners and also occasionally for experienced kiters - we are just much better at putting a lid on things before they become dangerous.

As to information sources: I do agree, except instructors are in a unique position to take you through hands on excercises, observe mistakes and focus on safety. Your friends will know how to surf, but will focus on getting you surfing, not on getting you to react safely to various unforeseen problems. I know first hand that you can tell a person ten times to do something, and they will do something completely different when they get stressed. Safe excercises on the water is the only way.

Return to “Kitesurfing”