Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Confirmation of why I like raceboard...

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Confirmation of why I like raceboard...

Postby tautologies » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:20 am

marlboroughman wrote:I looked this kite up. I can't believe it has only 3 struts. The whole Naish lineup looks great. I remember Pete Cabrinha few years ago saying that the future is flat kites and a lot of us thought the same. What a difference few years make.
well obviously I would agree with this :-)

Initially when moving towards kites with fewer struts I was hesitant that the canopy would be floppy..and now it turns out that even strutless kites can be designed with little canopy movement. They are tight. Fewer struts makes kites lighter and I think that translates into agility... I will weigh the 17...but just from picking it up I'd say it weighs less than the 12 that has 5 struts.

So far the 14 has shown no weaknesses..and as a race kite I like it so much better than the charger..where the charger would pull really hard on the kite, this seems to put more effort on the bar..this translates to holding your tack better.

I have yet to take them out super powered on a TT.

The 12 has unreal hangtime.

andrepen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Buzios, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby andrepen » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:21 am

I agree about the raceboard.... I love it!! And I almost dont race! I go around all the peninsula where I live, in Buzios, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

I love to ride in 10 - 12 knots, when its smooth sea... And a lot of speed!

I dont know why I am the only one here that like this kind of board... Really strange.

Nice winds for all!

Andre

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:46 am

andrepen wrote:I agree about the raceboard.... I love it!! And I almost dont race! I go around all the peninsula where I live, in Buzios, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

I love to ride in 10 - 12 knots, when its smooth sea... And a lot of speed!

I dont know why I am the only one here that like this kind of board... Really strange.

Nice winds for all!

Andre
exactly dude. Almost same here...I'm trying to get people going making small loacl races....one of the spots here are perfect for racing...and most guys struggle badly on their directionals when I am going fast and powered.....

I think many are hesitant about the fins...

coleman
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby coleman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:44 am

Most people don't have any interest in this type of riding but I personally love being completely hiked out on my race board and doing almost 20mph upwind.

The foil effect feels great too. I find these boards to be a freaking blast and a great challenge.

buran
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Jura
Style: race, freeride
Gear: ozone

Postby buran » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:02 am

tautologies wrote:
RalfsB wrote:Thanks for your answers. Just for curiosity, what is the weight of the 17m kite?
tautologies wrote:If you do go in ultra lightwind you could always rig the lightwind relaunch system on it...
I did not realize it is something separate that needs to be rigged on but now I found that there is an accessory called "Naish Light Wind Relaunch Kit" which seems to be an additional line. Neat, but if I want to use line extensions, I would also need an extension for the relaunch line.
True but you don't really need to buy their set. It is convenient because it has some loops the keeps the line a bit more organized, and it has a bungee to tighten the line up, but you can just pull your own line. It does not need to have the same breaking strength as the flying or steering lines, so some cheap line will do fine. :-) If anything get their line and use your own concoction for extensions.

Hello Tautologies,

Is it really helps Naish light wind relaunch kit. When you are in deep water. And there is not enough wind to relaunch the kite from the water, but you know that its enough to fly for it.
And do you think its possible to make LWR kit for other brand kites( ex. Ozone)?

Regards

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:18 pm

buran wrote:
Hello Tautologies,

Is it really helps Naish light wind relaunch kit. When you are in deep water. And there is not enough wind to relaunch the kite from the water, but you know that its enough to fly for it.
And do you think its possible to make LWR kit for other brand kites( ex. Ozone)?

Regards
I think it would help on any kite. The strut attachment should probably be approximately in the right spot...and the little bungee Naish has on their kites will help keep the line ordered, however other implementations would probably work too.

I have not tried it on the Draft yet, but I have used it on the park, on ride, fly (I'm not 100% on this) and charger. Of these the charger is the high aspect kite, and I could get it in relaunchable position before there was enough wind to lift it off the water. This leads me to think it should work fine on the Ozone too...I've saved quite a few sessions using it when the wind has just died off.

If you ride in wind so marginal the kite can fall it might be a good idea to check out. Obviously I have not tried it on an ozone...on a big kite it is a selling point for me....and I really thought it was a gimmick before I tried it. If you do try it report back so others can see how you did it :-)

buran
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Jura
Style: race, freeride
Gear: ozone

Postby buran » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:01 pm

I will try to do that. But first I have to heal my broken leg. That will be till next season.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:52 am

buran wrote:I will try to do that. But first I have to heal my broken leg. That will be till next season.
whoa that sounds..broken bones are never fun. Heal up!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”