Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

New - GoPro Hero3+

Postby RickI » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:48 am

It is on the street today! With excellent battery consumption, warm, rich colors & white balancing and a good deal more, Hero3+ puts a lot of excellent capability in your hands.
CLICK image to go to site

"Smaller, lighter, mightier still.
Capture and share your life’s most meaningful experiences with the HERO3+ Black Edition. 20% smaller and lighter than its best-selling predecessor, it delivers improved image quality and powerful new features geared for versatility and convenience. SuperView™ is a new video mode that captures the world’s most immersive wide angle perspective, while Auto Low Light mode intelligently adjusts frame rate for stunning low-light performance. Combined with 30% longer battery life, 4x faster built-in Wi-Fi and a sharper lens, the HERO3+ Black Edition is the most advanced GoPro yet."

More about Black Hero3+ specifications at:
http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black ... ical-specs

I only have some underwater imagery shot with a red filter to show with the camera at this point.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Re: New - GoPro Hero3+

Postby POACHER » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:19 pm

Didn't the Hero 3 just come out not even a year ago..........and they have a better model to replace it already???? I would be pissed if I just bought a Hero 3 Black, especially since it's had a bunch of issues already. (still fogs, WiFi, etc.)

I'm all for better, lighter, faster, stronger but it seems like they released the Hero 3 without testing it properly. Hopefully this 3+ addresses them. I do want a new GoPro....I have the original Hero. I vowed to not buy another until the fogging has been 100% resolved.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:30 pm

Phew! I'm glad you said, cos I don't want people to think I'm flogging a dead horse.

PS. my Contour Roam2 has never fogged ;) JVC Addixion V2 may well be my next cam...

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:37 pm

GoPro has been bringing out new cameras pretty much each year. This goes back to 2009 so there is nothing new on that front. Cameras have included the WIDE, HD, HD2, Hero3 and now Hero3+. I like the improvements on the Hero3+, good battery consumption, nice white balancing for color fidelity and a bunch more features. Then there is that nice image resolution that can be hard to find elsewhere in a compact action camera, at least for me. I looked at a bunch at Surf Expo. I have owned a lot of housed underwater cameras over the last 40+ years and pretty much all of them fogged under certain conditions. Paper towel sections in the GoPro housing have ended fogging most of the time, making it no longer an issue for me. Kite manufacturers turn out new models each year too. Some buy every year, some buy once every several years, consumer's choice.

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Yes, it is costumers choice. But with this kind of sales strategy, you lose costumers!!!
I must admit before HD2 came out most of the videos on YT and Vimeo were of very poor quality (some of them still are, I don't know what's with some people :lol: ), so it is revolutionary in this perspective.

HD2 brought tons of cash for GoPro. Im sure that HD3 BE did too, becuse it costs more and in fact quite a few HD2 owners switched to HD3 BE. Only than they realised that even with battery back pack the energy consumption sucks big time and the color balance in other than perfect light makes the shots worse than HD2 in many cases. It doesn't take very extensive testing to realise these two big faults!

I would say, that GoPro left room for another sales boost, just when new HD3 BE users got tired of it and started switching back to HD2 (I know some people that did). However HD3's resale value just droped to the ground. It is like a sick child. No one will want it.
On the other hand, how can you be sure HD3+ is OK. There wasn't any feedback on all of these issues (except personal fed.), than all of the suden it got fixed.
YOU LOSE RELIABILITY!

Hero is small and very convinient to mount with the two button operation and good to shoot those 3 m around you (if you set the angle right :D ). That's about it.
For the price of HD3 BE you get a camera with far better quality of pictures and videos, colour, brightness and contrast, many shooting options,... and water tight too. It's a shame we don't have free hands when kiting.

I don't know what is taking so long for other companies to come out with something usefull. :bye:
Last edited by zob on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:35 pm

I have found the GoPros very versatile and good cameras for shooting in a bunch of action sports including kiting. I don't know what you mean about a 3 m limit in kiting either. I like to mount them on the kite, my helmet, monopod, chest harness or board for different perspectives. I don't manually shutter the camera but use the time lapse feature. The real strengths can be in video but I prefer to shoot stills much of the time. Some examples across a variety of sports show up at:

http://www.pinterest.com/flkitesurfer/g ... otography/

I use a lot of different cameras but I don't have another one which will provide as good as imagery in as many different action sport applications.
Attachments
pinterest.jpg

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:45 pm

I'm also pretty annoyed there is a 3+ after the 3 was so troublesome this past year for most users. My view is it was pushed out for last Christmas before it was ready and it has been a train wreck. I had an HD and the HERO2 which both worked as advertised and the H3 BE still has not. After a camera replacement, a remote replacement, and numerous firmware updates it is still unreliable for me in most cases.

I'd be a little more welcome to the idea of a 3+ if there was an upgrade path for current 3 owners (a plan to trade-in H3 BEs for H3+ BEs). Maybe there is...I'll look for that.

On all the other cameras they were pretty solid, but just behind on technology when the next rev came out. On the 3...I feel like they are still fixing major issues and now the 3+ is out. ? Makes you wonder if they diverted most of their resources to the 3+ development (in addition to their HUGE sponsorship budget) instead of fixing the problematic 3s that we paid good money to purchase.

...Not to mention the HOURs many of us have wasted with charging issues, firmware updates, and remote syncing problems....only to get to the beach and find that one of your 3 batteries is dead anyway. 3 batteries? Yeah...you pretty much needed to purchase the external battery pack to get any battery life out of the camera.

When it works, it takes great footage. I've just fallen out of love with GoPro after my experiences over the past year...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:26 am

So long as it doesn't go near the water, my HD1 is acceptable for IQ, battery life etc...

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby WildDuke » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:50 pm

Good for me, I was about to buy a hero 3 black. Now I can go straight for the 3+!

Woo hoo!

JamesVegas
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby JamesVegas » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:56 pm

Great camera but the mount is as useful as a chocolate teapot, how many of these things are sitting at the bottom of the sea. Until they sort out the woefully inadequate mount I wouldn't touch any model of GoPro.

Return to “Kitesurfing”