Looking for Ocean Rodeo Soul Dry Suit real user reviews

Forum for kitesurfers
SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Looking for Ocean Rodeo Soul Dry Suit real user reviews

Postby SalmonSlayer » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:19 am

Any info would be appreciated.

I am trying to decide if the OR Soul or the ION Fuse is the way to go.

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Looking for Ocean Rodeo Soul Dry Suit REAL user reviews

Postby rodeoclown » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:24 am

The ION is insulated.
You can put it on and you are done.
The Soul needs a thermal layer 1st.
But comes in more colors.
They are both awesome suits.

Tough choice, good luck!

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Looking for Ocean Rodeo Soul Dry Suit REAL user reviews

Postby SalmonSlayer » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:34 am

rodeoclown wrote:The ION is insulated.
You can put it on and you are done.
The Soul needs a thermal layer 1st.
But comes in more colors.
They are both awesome suits.

Tough choice, good luck!
RC you crack me up. We live a couple of miles apart, yet you did not post on this subject on our local forum.

The ION suit is popular locally, but not much info on the OR Soul. I was hoping to get an international opinion on the OR Soul.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Re: Looking for Ocean Rodeo Soul Dry Suit real user reviews

Postby 14ToeSide » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:15 am

The Soul is Great. I used mine 5 times last year. Way better than a wetsuit that let's water in. Super warm for me even with no layering. Only tough part for me is getting my size 14 feet through the bottom seals. You hardly know that you have a suit on while kiting. Highly recommend it.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:26 am

I just bought the Soul. I was actually waiting for the SurfDry 3.0, but it didn't come out this year and I needed a suit so the Soul was it. I know OR makes a quality product and puts a lot of time into the specific design needs of kiteboarders. I also heard good things from local riders who own it. :thumb:

I did consider the neoprene dry suits as well...Ion makes one, Mystic makes one, and some others. Have you picked one up? They are really heavy. Try it on. I'm told they don't breathe...so if you sweat, you're getting wet. They do seem like they would be great on a bitter cold day and to be honest I've never kited in one, but it wasn't for me. I have a 5/3 wetsuit that takes me down into the high 40/low 50 F temps and then I go to the drysuit.

I only have one session in the Soul but so far I'm impressed. It was a 32 degree F day...cold! It is very light. I have had a traditional baggy before, and the Soul is much more form fitting. I was surprised as I have seen some of the pants/jacket looking dry suits that appear like there is just too much material, but you put the Soul on and it is just right. The pee zip is clutch...I have dealt without it for years, but honestly, I usually have to take a leak right before I get on the water and again after a long session. It is so nice to not have to pull the entire suit off when you have other outdoor rigging/de-rigging to attend to.

The dry suit did seem to breathe for me. I've learned to not layer up too much under any drysuits or you will get hot. I had mild dampness around the ankles after a 90 minute session. I've never been able to avoid that on any suit. The "stand-by" mode on the Soul is also pretty cool. I can actually put my drysuit on at home, drive to the beach and rig up with my coat zipped up, but still getting plenty of airflow...so I don't feel like I'm all suited up. Then you just slide over the neck seal, zip up, and you're good to go.

Anyway, that's the first impression. If it changes after a few sessions I'll update this.

I also really liked this kayaking drysuit. Only reason I passed is I wasn't sure if the zipper across the chest would chafe with a harness over it. They have a model one up (Double D) though with a back zip that is on sale now for less than the arch rival.

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby rodeoclown » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:05 am

My local shop carries both and I have been on the fence on what to buy too.
Thanks for the feedback Captain! :thumb:

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:30 am

The soul is nice and sleek but:

The pee zip is one more thing to check before gradins out
The hook hole won't work with a seat
The hook hole is not centered do there is a pull on the Fabric with the waist
Do we really need more fabric: heavier, drag

Anyways i went for the GUL with front diagonal zip. Not a drop of water in, the neoprene colar is Warner as i hate hoods, collar+beanie is fine.

I say, try it before you buy, the guys here love it? They say best ever but Why? The old one was dry and comfy... That is what i am looking for. Th mystic vulcanic seems nice but no one here tried. If you buy the soul blind, consider one size bigger than what you are used to but might not be à Universal advice....

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:48 am

14ToeSide wrote: Only tough part for me is getting my size 14 feet through the bottom seals. You hardly know that you have a suit on while kiting.

If you keep the seal well treated with a seal saver treatment your feet will slip through easier. You may also want to try putting on a thin sock to get into the leg seals. The seal will not grip like it does against your skin, after your foot is through you can pull the sock off.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:56 am

I have used the sock trick. Easier but still a little diff. What kind of seal treatment would you use?

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:15 am

14ToeSide wrote:I have used the sock trick. Easier but still a little diff. What kind of seal treatment would you use?
This one. http://www.mcnett.com/m-essentials/seal-saver#24116

After putting on a coat you will definitely feel the difference. You don't need to put it on all of the time. You just need to avoid letting the seals dry out.

Return to “Kitesurfing”