Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Looking for Ocean Rodeo Soul Dry Suit real user reviews

Forum for kitesurfers
Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Re: Looking for Ocean Rodeo Soul Dry Suit real user reviews

Postby Dirk » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:24 am

The nice thing about the OR Soul and the Surf Dry (I have the 2.0 model) is that you can close the dry zipper alone. On the ION it is on its back. The Mystic Vulcanic has it on its front.
It is not the biggest deal as you would probably always find someone on beach to help you (at least you should when you go out in real cold weather) but I like to be independent.

I think it is important not to be over confident concerning your drysuit performance. So stay closer to the shore, go out when it is side on/onshore, or ride spots where you can still stand in the water.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:13 pm

I picked up an NPX Lucifer on sale for less than $500 and to me there wasnt much difference between the two. Its a good suit. I believe they have the same features. The pee zipper is amazing. Suit zipper is on the back like previously mentioned and a pain if youre alone.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:22 pm

SalmonSlayer wrote:
14ToeSide wrote:I have used the sock trick. Easier but still a little diff. What kind of seal treatment would you use?
This one. http://www.mcnett.com/m-essentials/seal-saver#24116

After putting on a coat you will definitely feel the difference. You don't need to put it on all of the time. You just need to avoid letting the seals dry out.
Awesome, thanks! :thumb:

I was wondering what to treat mine with. My new seals are so soft and easy to slide on. It occurred to me that after a couple years the seals still work, but are less soft & smooth.

AGK
Medium Poster

Postby AGK » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:24 pm

I had the Soul all last winter, and give it the thumbs up. Pretty easy to get on and off, and very comfortable and non-restrictive. Very well made and seems durable. As warm as you want it to be depending on what you layer under it. Harness stays put and it totally gets rid of any wind chill. You do have to learn how to "burp" it through the neck and ankle seals or it gets in the way of swimming, and I wouldn't necessarily want to kite or paddle in big waves because you can't swim or dive as well as in a wetsuit, but as something that is warm, comfortable, and easy to deal with in cold weather and cold water I have found that it works really well for me.

Not that it matters, but (according to my daughters, who have always mocked the way I looked in a Kokotat or a wetsuit) it actually looks pretty good too.

Kirok
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Lynæs, Denmark
Nivå, Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Gudmindrup, Denmark
Ishøj, Denmark
Hvide Sande, Denmark
Style: Freeride
Gear: Mako Classic, Mako King, Core Fusion 139 cm
Core Free 9M
Core XR6 12
Flysurfer Speed3 21 M
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kirok » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:57 pm

flipper231 wrote:The soul is nice and sleek but:

The pee zip is one more thing to check before gradins out
The hook hole won't work with a seat
The hook hole is not centered do there is a pull on the Fabric with the waist
Do we really need more fabric: heavier, drag

Anyways i went for the GUL with front diagonal zip. Not a drop of water in, the neoprene colar is Warner as i hate hoods, collar+beanie is fine.

I say, try it before you buy, the guys here love it? They say best ever but Why? The old one was dry and comfy... That is what i am looking for. Th mystic vulcanic seems nice but no one here tried. If you buy the soul blind, consider one size bigger than what you are used to but might not be à Universal advice....
Just got a Soul and had it out for one two hour session at 4 C. I have the following comments:
-Pee Zip: Use it or not, just make sure that is is zipped when you are done. Is that a problem? End of story
-I have a seat harness and the slit on the new Soul works fine. All I did was leave the zipper on the bottom of the jacket for the harness open and snapped the retaining strap of the over jacket on the bottom. Worked fine.'
Pull on the fabric? Did not notice that. Maybe because I had the zipper all the way open.
Heavier fabric? I did not notice. In fact the fabric is lighter than my OR Pyro Pro it replaces. The jacket keeps more wind chill of me than my old suit I found.
Hoods? Yeah, I might take mine off but I am not sure yet. I didn't use it on the water but when I went in for coffee, I took my helmet off and put the hood up. It was warm!

Overall impressions: Nice suit. The material seems to repel water much better than the Pyro Pro ever did. I guess a lot has changed in 7 years in material development. The suit seems to fit very well. One room for improvement is maybe the neoprene side panels. These are still soaking wet long after the rest of the suit is dry. This is a minor thing though.

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:01 am

I've no experience with either suit myself. I've kited the last 2 winters with an OR Surf dry suit. I've just replaced this with a Soul which is supposed to show up coming weekend.

Having said that, one of my kite buddies got the Ion Fuse last year. He returned the first 2 suits as he thought they were leaking, kept the third as he found out that he was just sweating that much. He'll sweat easily, but it does underline that the suit is very warm. Whether that's good or not, is up to your requirements.

When I was looking for a new suit, I also tried the Fuse. I found it rather heavy, much more so than the surf dry or the soul. You need a friend to zip you up on the Fuse.

My friend sold his Fuse recently and also has a Soul on the way.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:35 am

The Soul now comes with a crushed neoprene built in sock option which makes it the clear winner for me. If it's cold enough to wear a drysuit I'll be wearing at least 5mm booties anyway. Instead with the built in socks you can wear 3mm booties and not have to worry about your ankle seals.

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Postby whabbits » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:44 am

Slappysan wrote:The Soul now comes with a crushed neoprene built in sock option which makes it the clear winner for me. If it's cold enough to wear a drysuit I'll be wearing at least 5mm booties anyway. Instead with the built in socks you can wear 3mm booties and not have to worry about your ankle seals.
I have seen the Soul with socks and the version with socks does not have crushed neoprene for the socks. They are made of the same material as the pants of the suit. The version with socks is much faster to put on and off and keeps your feet warmer.

The downside is no split toe and I LOVE split toe booties.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:13 am

whabbits wrote:...I have seen the Soul with socks and the version with socks does not have crushed neoprene for the socks. They are made of the same material as the pants of the suit. The version with socks is much faster to put on and off and keeps your feet warmer.

Yeah, same issue for me. I actually wanted the socks as any ankle seal is tough with kiteboarding... we just get consistent splash on the ankles which makes it a tough environment to keep water-tight. Built-in socks would take care of that. But I like the split toe option also so I have boots. :)

vp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Island, Sandy Hook, Long Branch
Style: foil / race
Gear: Ozone R1V3
Delta Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Green Hat Kiteboarding

Postby vp » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:12 am

whabbits wrote:...I have seen the Soul with socks and the version with socks does not have crushed neoprene for the socks. They are made of the same material as the pants of the suit. The version with socks is much faster to put on and off and keeps your feet warmer.

I think it would be tough to put those socks in any bootie and still be able to feel the board.

Return to “Kitesurfing”