AdrenalinDriven
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Those dangerous C shaped ones
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Proactive, open source database.By the kitesurfing commu

Postby AdrenalinDriven » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:43 am

Should we start one on car accident fatalities and accidents and put it on a public forum next? I'm sorry but some of you are getting obsessed with this stuff. Be sensible, ride within your limits, don't put up a 12m kite in 30 knots. Safety in a sentence.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:01 am

Respect your opinion and good advice. Optional to open file, stats show people are reading it and I hope it educates and saves lives.

A large chunk of the best data is taken directly from kiteforums, often direct witnesses/friends happy to offer lessons, if any, that can be gained from these terrible experiences.

There are so many opinions and just reading some of the links shows how passionate many kiters are about sharing information to learn from - pages and pages of it for a single event is a common occurrence, sometimes, in my view, the quantity of helpful opinion/ information makes it hard to learn the correct lesson - if there is one. The database attempts to source the most direct witnesses and their advice. Also so much of the awesome advice is just simply lost amongst the billions of pages on the internet rarely to be revisited in future.

Since 2001 me and my friends always wanted to learn from events, so what happened and why? No one else was gonna teach us. Kitemares they were once known as.

There is additionally a list of occasions that kitesurfers have saved swimmers from drowning - also a link to web pages to help the rehabilitation of injured kiters

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:26 pm

I want to add.

There is additionally a list of occasions that kitesurfers have saved swimmers from drowning in database - also a link to web pages to help the rehabilitation of injured kiters.

I instigated the idea, others pitched in their additions and ideas. I do not see myself as a safety guru whatsoever and don't intend on telling anyone what they should do - just offering up opinion on possible mitigation measures in some cases oin the database - often based on what direct witnesses said. I do speak out at my local beaches though if I see a kiter risking non kiters - swimmers/beachgoers - never aggressive though - just explain my side of things in a friendly way non forceful way - never had an issue doing that, never had any disrespect back my way for doing this.

My personal opinion is people need to stick with personal responsibility, part of that is educating yourself . When u get a bunch of less experienced clowns telling u how it is ,or should be, trying to make up bull5it or new rules then trouble starts...

Database is far from perfect but constantly improving . i guess the difference between car crashes and kite accidents are that you need to pass a test based on you knowledge of keeping yourself and others safe for driving a car and that education is based pertly on stats like this. The idea of a kite license tho, is dumb in my opinion.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... 5Wnc#gid=0

TeabagVic
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island
Favorite Beaches: Nitinat Lake
Style: Teabagging
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby TeabagVic » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:59 am

LongWhiteCloud, please continue your hard work. Thought of doing something similar years ago (database of death/injury/link to support it/and hopefully good lessons learn and or enough statistic to improve emphasis on beginner teaching or simply intermediate/pro safety)

Keep up the good work, the database.

I am 100% that at least 80%+ of kiteforum user appreciate your work/stats, especially if they continue for a couple of years.

The remaining 20% are entitled to their opinion as well.
Should we start one on car accident fatalities and accidents and put it on a public forum next?
Well, this is a kiteboarding forum, why, for the love of god, should we keep track on this forum next??? Go to most provincial/states/country website on car accident, you'll see they keep track on these, location, weather, road conditions, age, experience, state of individual etc... in order to prevent/reduce further incident.
Be sensible, ride within your limits, don't put up a 12m kite in 30 knots.
You are right for the first two (be sensible, ride within your limits). But the last one, you need to understand that if a rider weight 240 lbs, a 12m in 30 knots is extremely acceptable. And also most injury /death happened on 10m-9m-8m-7m kites... Why? Bigger kites are way slower, yes they ll pull a lot, but your reaction time is way more than on the smaller kites...

Keep up the good work LongWhiteCloud, thanks a lot for your work.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:16 pm

Thx, and thx to those that contributed with additions and ideas. Just click a cell and add a comment - more info / edits / inaccuracies/ additions/ opinions on mitigation measures. Whatever... Anyone can download it /analyze it, copy and paste it , study it in their degree/masters, use it to create their own database, use it for kite manual design, use it for instructional material, associations can use it, use it for equipment design.. etc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... 5Wnc#gid=0

Return to “Kitesurfing”