Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

GoPro Hero 3+ Black, Suggested Video Kiting Modes?

Forum for kitesurfers
John Doe
Medium Poster
Gear: The cheap kind.

GoPro Hero 3+ Black, Suggested Video Kiting Modes?

Postby John Doe » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:00 am

Just got the Hero 3+ Black & I'm wondering if anyone who has that camera specifically, can suggest good video modes to use for a line mount rig, or a helmet mount rig while kiting???

Reading the manual it looks like the "Superview" wide angle setting will be incredibly cool on a Camrig line mount. I will be testing it all in the next few weeks, hopefully. Some of the other settings should be amazing as well. Can't believe it has resolution up to 4096X2160 17:9 :lol: :lol: :lol: Crazy.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: GoPro Hero 3+ Black, Suggested Video Kiting Modes?

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:10 am

Line mount... for the 3 - doesn't the line mount have the camera standing on a side, so when you're tacking and the kite is "up and down" the camera is level to the horizon, right way up or upside down?

With my GoPro or the Contour, I go with the tallest mode (960p at 60fps) to get the most in the picture. It's also a squarer picture which I feel means you can zoom in and cut off the black borders generated by the leveling or stabilization correction, loosing the least amount of the frame.

After all, with a wider setting you're just capturing what's in front of and behind you...

John Doe
Medium Poster
Gear: The cheap kind.

Postby John Doe » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:17 am

I don't know, just got the thing. Hopefully someone in the know can answer;) I think the superview could be really cool in the surf, we'll see.

Found this, good article explaining the video modes on the 3;

http://abekislevitz.com/understanding-your-new-gopro/

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:19 am

I don't think the way of using a 3 would be that different from previous HD models...

People tend to be like, "Hurgh hurgh more pizzels means better - I'll just turn it on the highest setting" and not really think about framing... or other effects the environment will have on the footage.

Yeah, the NEW Camrig line mount has the camera up'n'down, so when you're tacking the camera is filming at the normal orientation.

Choosing a mode will depend on how far the camera is from you - that's your directorial call - frame filled by the rider only, or do you want some water in there for a bit of reference?

Helmet mount - same applies: do you want to get some of the kite and more sky & water in the shot? Go for a taller, squarer mode....

Want to stabilize the image? Go for a zoomed out, higher rez mode, so you can edit nicely and not lose your framing.

ITN
Medium Poster
Gear: Reo 2016 7m 9m 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby ITN » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:39 pm

I always use the 1440 48fps mode in order to get more vertical image for stabilizing the rotation on a line mount. 1440 30fps is a slightly better moving image however but it's not slow motion.

If I didn't want to shoot slow motion I would use 2.7k 30fps which gives me the highest resolution at normal speed so I can enlarge the shot after stabilizing to get rid of the black borders. Uses more memory card space though..

Return to “Kitesurfing”