Forum for kitesurfers
jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: USA in April?

Postby jwoodunlv » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:14 pm

Corpus and SPI have miles and miles of flatwater and if you want butter you just pull off the causeway as you cross the laguna (Corpus) and you have as much as you want. The Locals here are as friendly as you'll find anywhere and will most likely welcome you and invite you on a downwinder. Sure, our waves are not as great as maui's but they also don't have 100's of people on them cutting you off.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:52 pm

jwoodunlv wrote:Corpus and SPI have miles and miles of flatwater and if you want butter you just pull off the causeway as you cross the laguna (Corpus) and you have as much as you want. The Locals here are as friendly as you'll find anywhere and will most likely welcome you and invite you on a downwinder. Sure, our waves are not as great as maui's but they also don't have 100's of people on them cutting you off.

Funny I have had different experiences in these places than you have. Walked into a shop that sells ozone kites in spi and listened to a conversation where the shop guy ripped ozone kites apart saying that they are poor quality. Also one of the most crowded spots I have ever been with kooks everywhere. hit in the head by another kiter and had a bag and pump stolen. Ripped off by house rental ect. I think that these beginner places draw those types. I went to one spot and everyone was like who are you and how did you hear about this spot. You shouldn't kite here they said. cause its not a beginner spot. Funny cause I can fly circles around all those there that day. Worst case of localism I have ever seen. I tread lightly where ever I go and am always the first person to help another kiter out. My maui experience was amazing but I had an in with one of the famous locals and pretty much had the red carpet treatment. Anytime one break got crowded you could move to another and have it to yourself. But this is all JMO.

jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster

Postby jwoodunlv » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:58 pm

I'm talking more about Corpus than SPI. I didn't care for SPI at all as it had some of the issues that you mentioned. Corpus is much different. It's never crowded here. Usually less than 10 kites at any spot. I live here and can say this is one of the best places anywhere for kiting. If you ever came back to Texas I would definitely recommend staying here instead of SPI.

saltire
Medium Poster

Postby saltire » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:51 pm

waynepjh wrote:Save your money and go to maui! I have been to spi 4 times and if you like flat/choppy water and poor waves then this is the spot for you. But I think that spi is about the best place to learn that I have ever seen. Just not my cup of tea.
I would have thought OBX would be a better place for learners i am thinking of going there in June if i can get a decent price on flights as my daughter wants to learn. .

Random
Frequent Poster

Postby Random » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:56 pm

Thanks guys.

I think its going to be Corpus Christi if we make the trip. Sounds like there's a bit more to do and as we'll be flying into Houston, its closer.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:37 am

The windiest months in the Florida Keys are in March and April. Warm weather, warm water and plenty to do if it doesn't blow.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:37 am

saltire wrote:
waynepjh wrote:Save your money and go to maui! I have been to spi 4 times and if you like flat/choppy water and poor waves then this is the spot for you. But I think that spi is about the best place to learn that I have ever seen. Just not my cup of tea.
I would have thought OBX would be a better place for learners i am thinking of going there in June if i can get a decent price on flights as my daughter wants to learn. .
Check XLKites in Houston for your daughter. Honestly far better place to learn. Water is waste deep most days and sandy bottom. SPI is silt with lots of sea weed. I like SPI but I can only handle a few days at a time there. I'm spoiled by our grassy launch and being an actual city not a tourist town.

Return to “Kitesurfing”