Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Question on Cabrinha Kites

Forum for kitesurfers
timothymcmackin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Living in Durham, NC. Planning to kite mostly around Wilmington, NC.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Question on Cabrinha Kites

Postby timothymcmackin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:01 am

PVITfrumBYRAM wrote:TimothyMcMackin,

Did you buy your kites on the Outer Banks? It sounds like you talked to some of my instructors.
PVITfrumBYRAM, I talked with Yuichi from Scratch in Wilmington and he was helpful but didn't have the right sizes/years of SBs in stock; I talked to people at Kitty Hawk and wound up buying from them. Which school are you with? I'm in Durham and am interested in getting in touch with kiters on the NC coast.

-Tim

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Tim,

I knew I recognized your name. I must have signed off on your waiver to launch at Kitty Hawk Kites. I managed the school last season. Most of the guys are off teaching elsewhere or snowboarding but Adam and I are still going out to kite when the weather is ok.

There's a group on facebook called OBX Kiteboarding or something like that. I'm on there sometimes trying to get people to kite Jockey's Ridge with me on the warmer days. I'm pretty much kiting there any day its over 50 degrees and onshore. If you plan to head over to kite someday before spring or summer, let me know, I can probably meet up and give you some tips on reseting the new system with minimal hassle.

I prefer the 2011 system but what are you going to do. Hopefully this summer we will film some how to videos because the hardest thing will be reseting the system in the water if you pop it by accident but it is totally doable provided your fingers aren't numb.

Paolo

kiteontario
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Nobile

Postby kiteontario » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:42 pm

Just wondering, how would a 48cm Cabrinha bar rigged with a larger kite (that would normally use a 55cm bar) affect performance? Turn faster? I haven't actually tried to be honest.

How would using a larger bar (55cm) on a smaller (say 10m) kite?

The reason for trying would be to save time when needing to come to the beach to rig a larger/smaller kite (save setting up another bar/lines).

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:12 pm

kiteontario wrote:Just wondering, how would a 48cm Cabrinha bar rigged with a larger kite (that would normally use a 55cm bar) affect performance? Turn faster? I haven't actually tried to be honest.

How would using a larger bar (55cm) on a smaller (say 10m) kite?

The reason for trying would be to save time when needing to come to the beach to rig a larger/smaller kite (save setting up another bar/lines).
A larger bar will do exactly what you said, moves the kite faster. Also it seems to keep the kite in a higher aspect ratio at the tips.

I have a 4 kite quiver: 7m, 10m, 13, 18m. When I travel I will bring all 4 kites but only two bars. I will fly the 18m and 13m xbows with the 18 bar, and i will fly my 10 and 7 SBs on the 10m bar. It works great as the 7m can fly in less wind than normal because I am able to move the kite with more speed to catch the wind.

That being said, in high wind conditions i have wished for the 7m bar for the kite to move slower because the kite becomes the 'crazy bee' zipping around.

I have ridden my 10 with my 13m bar as well for the said lighter wind experience.

I have also mistakenly rigged my 13 with the 10m bar and had very little performance. The shorter bar pulled the tip in further and the kite did not fly right.

rleshem
Medium Poster

Postby rleshem » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:44 pm

I used the 55 bar for 10 12 and 8. Works fine for all them. I actually like the faster turns it creates on the 10.

Return to “Kitesurfing”