Forum for kitesurfers
BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: RRD bar V6 modification

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Mon May 12, 2014 10:57 pm

has anyone converted their RRD bar then? Interested in changing mine.

I tired speaking to an RRD imported who just fobbed me off saying it was totally safe and designed that way. IMO flag an RRD Obsession to front lines in 25+mph and you have a tricky situation with a kite that will not sit on its back flat and pulls like hell. Very hard to swim at the kite and get it on its back in those winds as it will just keep pulling you through the water.

any more suggestions ? Who has tried the 2012 Obsession on other front line flag out bars, more suggestions please. :)

Er Presidente
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Er Presidente » Tue May 13, 2014 1:45 am

Hey man sorry to disappoint you. But no words from rrd. It's kindly of unbelievable how little they care about riders'a feedback.
My view is that the bar overall is very very good. The PU coat is genius, the quality of the lines is really second to none. But the sloppy safety system is a joke. We going back to two line Wipika kites :)
I ended up selling back my RRD kites. Couldn't deal with the double flagging system.
And also I don't want to have anything to do with a company whose customer care is so poor. Also their dealers know c little about the kites themselves. Very few of the dealers I asked prices too actually tried their kites.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Tue May 13, 2014 9:20 am

anyone else ?
thanks

rogerkite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: South Brittany
Favorite Beaches: Near Quiberon'beaches
Style: Just between Peak & Rocks !

Postby rogerkite » Tue May 13, 2014 11:55 am

Hello guys,
I'm sure this post (and others) as been read by RRD, and comments have been highly appreciated.
As far as I know, RRD is working on new bar designs with different security systems. The first step, that should be proposed for next season (and so probably presented at the dealer meeting in june), will be a new security system, still based on the 2 front lines :( , with the target to achieve an easier re-launch process of the kite.
RRD designers are also working on a different system, based on secuity ring on one line, and this would come as a second step...

I will try to spread more information as soon as it will be availbale.
Regards.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Tue May 13, 2014 2:53 pm

well I am not sure RRD have read this or would pay any attention anyway. I am a long term customer of RRD but have had enough of all the design flaws that comes with them now.

On the obsession the bridal inserts wear out quickly (bit like the hypertype snapping bridal problem) and RRD don't sell bridal inserts so we have to make our own. Ok not a big deal but a bit like a car manufacturer saying they don't provide tyres for the car!!

THE bar... :-? well no spinner so the front lines knott after a few rotations, double flag out lines which plenty here are not happy with. Unhooked - drop the kite with slack lines and it rolls through itself almost every time and your swimming in then. Bridals catch behind the kite to easily in the water. 4 pullys! on the kite, sand and salt = snap....
uneven length lines which are unique lengths so you must buy from RRD..

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue May 13, 2014 3:54 pm

BillyGoatGruff wrote:has anyone converted their RRD bar then? Interested in changing mine.

I tired speaking to an RRD imported who just fobbed me off saying it was totally safe and designed that way. IMO flag an RRD Obsession to front lines in 25+mph and you have a tricky situation with a kite that will not sit on its back flat and pulls like hell. Very hard to swim at the kite and get it on its back in those winds as it will just keep pulling you through the water.

any more suggestions ? Who has tried the 2012 Obsession on other front line flag out bars, more suggestions please. :)

are you looking for information on how to modify it or how it works if it is modified?
if you are looking for how, snap a picture of it laid out and I can probably give you some ideas. I've modified several bars now, haven't come across one yet that wouldn't work....
how a single line safety works with any specific kite is up to you.... next time you are self landing in water... drop your kite and pull in about 8m of one center line... that will give you a pretty good idea of how it will react.

Longwave
Rare Poster
Local Beach: PnP
Favorite Beaches: Les Landes...
Style: surf
Gear: RRD Religion 7m Switch Method V2 9m and 11m
RRD Obsession 9m and 12m Blade Trigger 10m
RRD Addiction 14m etc... and kitesurfboards (F-One fish 5'2", Underground 5'8", surfboards and a North nugget)

Postby Longwave » Wed May 14, 2014 4:44 am

I haven't modified my wife's new obsession's bar yet. Her kite is left in a far away place, but I will modify her bar (flag on one line) before she uses it again. I already bought parts from Switch. I will sell my brand new 12m MKVI and will not buy another RRD. Many kites around there, I will certainly not bother with irresponsible people. A dangerous flagging system should not exist anymore. If RRD is reading this forum they should communicate and help with their kites issues.
Shame on them!

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Wed May 14, 2014 10:03 am

Hi - Yes I have modified a few bars over the years and am very good at splicing etc. Problem with the RRD bar is there is already 3 seperate pieces of rope before you connect to the front flying lines. It would be easy to connect a front flag out using 2 steel hoops and some velcro (similar to the 2009/10 global bar)...... but then running it through the bar, now with 4 seperate pieces of rope is not really ideal. I think there is going to be lots of twists in the ropes after any rotations/loops... Really you just want 1 main depower rope and one line running through the bar for the front flag out.

I really want some feedback from anyone flying a 2011/12/13/14 obsession with other bars like the ozone, slingshot or mutiny bar that flags to a front line.

Strangely the 2012 obsession flys really really badly on the 2009/10 global bar. The obsession is not a kite that will fly on any 4 line bar... The RRD bars have a high "Y" split and this seems to affect the flying.

bigl
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wremen Germany
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande Brasil
Style: very old school
Gear: RRD Naish Core

Postby bigl » Wed May 21, 2014 11:55 pm

i had the old Global with Single FLS and i like the new ones with double FLS better. Both systems have their up and downsides, and can mess up badly in some situations. But i will certainly not upgrade to V5 V6 from my V4 without the o-shit handels because if the kites inverts, they are your best option getting control over you kite, if it starts looping around.

Of course it´s a strange feeling with double FLS if the kite stays flying in the air for same time in high winds, but usually it comes down after a while and turns around on the Fronttube like with single FLS..... you just have to stay cool and wait. Although i have to admit the obsession seems to have not the best bridle setup für double FLS the long delta bridle from the RRD Passion seemed to work a little better.

On the other hand I found that the chances that you can get your kite easily back in the air after an release is better with double FLS .... without messing up your lines somehow like if you use a Liquid Force bar without stopper that moves all the way up and you have to be carful not to get wrapped in lines .... (but exellent quick depower)

If you really want to have a good feeling kiting in 30+ i would rather ad a 5. line.

hydrant
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Rugen - germany
Style: freestyle
Gear: naish, ozone, rrd

Postby hydrant » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:23 am

Any progress on this? Unfortunately I have race bar and 16m Addiction kite.

I was pretty screwed when I end up on shallow water with coral reef on the bottom and the kite was pulling me further on. An advice that you have to swim towards the kite were useless there and I had to release the leash and let the kite go. I was pretty angry on RRD after this. How they can even sell those kites without working safety mechanism? And the seller does not warn you of course...

Do not buy them until they will come up working solution. Otherwise you are risking serious injury.

Return to “Kitesurfing”