Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiteboarding eastern North America in July/August?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
Metaphor_
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiteboarding eastern North America in July/August?

Postby Metaphor_ » Mon May 12, 2014 12:45 am

Hi guys,

Since moving to Toronto last August, I haven't gone kiteboarding - I don't know the kite spots here and I'm not confident on my own. Hoping to take a kiteboard vacation in the next couple of months (July or August) and wanted to get your advice. Where would you recommend I go?

My considerations are:
  • Consistent wind
  • Safety (need a place with a good community of kiteboarders in case I get in trouble kiting)
  • Affordable accommodation/food
  • Accessibility (would be nice to go somewhere you can get to by mass transit)
I'm a low intermediate kiteboarder - can ride upwind both ways and be independent in moderate winds, but I've needed rescues before. (The place I used to kite at, Squamish, has a "rescue" service where they'll pick you up in a jetski as part of your dues. Once my kite went into a death spiral; another time I went out underpowered and needed a rescue from bozo beach). Maybe somewhere safe like Squamish would be the best place... but any other thoughts on comparably safe destinations? Cape Hatteras? Anywhere else on the east coast?

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Re: Kiteboarding eastern North America in July/August?

Postby SSK » Mon May 12, 2014 2:04 am

Hatteras is orders of magnitude safer and easier than Squamish. And orders of magnitude better than anywhere on the East coast. The Only other place comparable is South Texas SPI/Corpus. Early July is usually great the later into the summer starts to decline.
Shallow sandy water
Lots of room
Side on winds
Lots of wind
Warm water and air.

Do not need a rescue, just walk or hitch hike back. Summer is SW (side on) winds, you will never be over waist deep water. No mass transit. If you are from Canada, I doubt you want to consider South Texas in the summer. It will beat you down. Great in November - March when it is too cold here.

Metaphor_
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kiteboarding eastern North America in July/August?

Postby Metaphor_ » Thu May 15, 2014 6:04 am

That sounds great; thanks. Squamish was a lot of fun and I'd be happy to go again, but maybe Hatteras is more cost-effective from the east coast...

Any suggestions on good camping spots? Or cheap rentals? Is Ocracoke a good place or will it be too far for good kiting?

Return to “Travel”