Local Beach: Gotland, Sweden
Style: Jump as high as I can
Gear: F one Bandit
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

F one release b7

Postby johnny_dove » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi guys, I have been riding f one only for the last 3 years. Love them. I am advising a beginner friend about kit. Only downside with previous system is that the kite does not fully depower when quick release is pulled. Is this fixed on b7 or still just around 60% depower on release???? I have moved the yellow stopper ball on my b4 and b5 and tried but kite does simply does not flag because of two line release. Wouldn't mind a proper release myself. Would be nice to know I can pull release if there is sudden increase in wind, have trouble in off shore conditions etc. I have seen mods but are they ok?

Lubo
Rare Poster

Re: F one release b7

Postby Lubo » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:09 pm

I have similar experience with my B6. The other day I accidentally released the QR on my 12M at 20-23 knts and for my biggest surprise the kite just stayed up at the zenith. I hope that Fone addresses this issue in the future, because I really like the kites. I'm sure many others share my opinion

kiteingcolin1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ainsdale/westkirby/anglesey
Favorite Beaches: rosnigher
Style: old style
Gear: nobile 666,132 and 135, 2008

E.H.RIPPEHR, NEMI HP

Postby kiteingcolin1 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:14 pm

F one make brilliant kites. :thumb:
and very sad bars :(

Either modify a North quad bar-( the best QR in the universe)
or buy a epic 4G bar, (single line flag out from a 4 line bar straight out of the bag)
both work brilliantly with the Bandit.4-7 series

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:53 pm

Switch bar, done

johnny_dove
Rare Poster

Postby johnny_dove » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:41 pm

Does it fly as well on the other brand bars? I think my friend has used them with Ozone bars but I think they were a bit more tame on the Ozone bar? Maybe depends on the trim :)

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:16 am

kites and bars are different and unrelated things. a kites performance on a double centerline leash like your fone bar is related to the canopy shape and bridle configuration of the kite, a bar with a single centerline leash system will flag your kite out and disable it effectively every time. kites don't fly differently on different bars (negligible difference at most). tuning your line tension is important tho, but more or less unrelated to bar design, you can tune any bar for any kite but it might take a little experience to get it right quickly.

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:10 pm

Two questions:

(1) Does F1 still use a two-line flag system?
(2) Does (or did) the F1 two-line flag out system work as effectively as the Cabrinha IDS system?

The IDS system had a tow-point and pully arrangement that forced the 2 front lines into a semblance of a single Fifth line, when the primary safety was activated... the 2 front lines physicaly moved closer to the center of the kite. Did the F1 system do this also?

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:30 pm

The quick release in the new 2014 bar is basically the same. The kite does not flag out conpleatly. I have both and used both in lessons with students.

johnny_dove
Rare Poster

Postby johnny_dove » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:14 pm

Bnthere, you may be right. There are a few things that I thought could make a difference!?

1. The 2 centerlines come from another angle from the swivel on an f1 one bar than they would if they came from nearer the bar as on most 1-line release 4 line bar like Ozone. This could be perhaps be a design feature where kite pulleys and kite bar are designed to work together and not two different animals?

2. The depower rope is longer and shorter on different bars. Ozone's depower rope is fairly short while F one has a longer rope. Liquid force has an incredibly long depower rope. Perhaps kites need to be pulled further to depower depending on kite shape and design?

3. The throw - when you let go of the bar the distance the bar travels up the line. But having said that - I have flied kites on the wrong bars on occasion and have not noticed any problems when letting go of the bar. Harder to get the back line length right on the wrong bar.

BUT having said all of this I think you may be right - Bandit 4,5,6.7 etc all fly on the same bar and they are very different kites. Bandit 4 had a massive leading edge and much higher bar pressure than the later models. I think the bandit 4 is the kite that has the least effective quick release because of this.

kochease
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Jones Beach
Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cayman Islands
Jones Beach, Or
Manzanita, Or
Maui
Style: Freestyle
Gear: F-One, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop Owner and PASA kiteboard instructor

Postby kochease » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:04 pm

The Bandit 7 may or may not flag out when you hit the safety, depending on where the kite is in the window or its power level. It has been 50/50 with me when teaching on these kites every day.

Just like with any make, model or brand 2 center line safety system people need to remember that if your kite doesn't flag out when safety is hit, your kite will be depowered but all you have to do is swim toward the kite just a bit and it will roll over on its back and go neutral in the water.

I think it is in the manual for the bandit too, I will have to look. It doesn't bother me at all when riding or teaching, I just move or swim toward the kite so lines get some slack and it flops over dead in the water. I tried the bandit 7 on the Blade uni bar and had same results as the bandit bar and the Blade uni bar is a single center line flag system.

Return to “Kitesurfing”