Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Juice 18m VS Dyno 17m best light wind airtime?

Forum for kitesurfers
Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: North Juice 18m VS Dyno 17m best light wind airtime?

Postby Macisback » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:27 am

So Toby, you say there is nothing wrong with a lot of bar pressure (like the Draft)?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:06 pm

Of course we'd all rather here from Toby (especially me) but I thought I'd like to contribute by saying something like the dyno2011 on the hard bar setting isn't heavy but it's heavy enough...

BUT more importantly as the wind picks up I to the realm where you can really get some altitude and hangtime the bar pressure doesn't change if anything it seems to get a tad lighter (might be a perception thing but I find it to be the case. My experience with static bridles (but I've yet to ride the draft) the bar pressure will increase at the upper end of the kites range, to the point where it jast gets damn uncomfortable. But the aspect in the draft might reduce this effect...does it?

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:39 pm

Westozzy wrote:Of course we'd all rather here from Toby (especially me) but I thought I'd like to contribute by saying something like the dyno2011 on the hard bar setting isn't heavy but it's heavy enough...

BUT more importantly as the wind picks up I to the realm where you can really get some altitude and hangtime the bar pressure doesn't change if anything it seems to get a tad lighter (might be a perception thing but I find it to be the case. My experience with static bridles (but I've yet to ride the draft) the bar pressure will increase at the upper end of the kites range, to the point where it jast gets damn uncomfortable. But the aspect in the draft might reduce this effect...does it?

West I would have to agree. I've had the 16m Dyno and now the 19m Edge. The Edge will stress the elbows in to upper ranges (18-22kns). I never had this issue with the 2011 Dyno.

But the Bar on the edge is still light for a big kite. This is one thing you need to watch for in large kites. If the bar pressure is to much eventually it will kill your joints (depending on how much you kite of course).

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils

Postby Macisback » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:48 pm

Hi Westozzy,

well as far as I experienced, the Draft always pulls like a monster and it is both, good execise and lots of fun!
You gotta be fit though (or ride it a size or two smaller ;-) )

Bar pressure seems to not increase drastically when the wind picks up, but with the Naish Bar I constantly use the stopper when doing long runs on a half wind course. (When a supergust comes you gotta be fast...;-) )
But I havent flown the 17m Draft in more then 18 knots until now. The 12m in 25 knots was not adding much bar pressure when the wind picked up.

I figured out the pigtails on the back wing/near trailing edge could easily be adjusted to less bar pressure, by simply adding a knot to the back part of it.

I will test very soon the 12/14/17 Draft with the wider North Bar in inner and outer settings and all line lenghtes between 24 and 32m (I had line extensions made in 3/4/5/6/7/8 for that purpose). I will also test the fuseknot on the back of the pigtail/bridles.

My best guess at the moment is that a North bar in wide setting (less bar pressure) with 27 - 32 m (slower turning) on a 17m Draft is my weapon of choice :-)

So far I only flew the Draft with 24m Naish bar on iner settings (lots of bar pressure)

For Airstyle a bit more of bar pressure doesnt hurt though - it makes jumping even more safe I guess.
Never jumped so comfortably as with the Drafts, I always landed safe and had a great feeling of safety even when the monster pulled me up 10m in a second and sent me on a 30m ride :-)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:24 pm

You Need Bar pressure to know where the kite is.
Timing is key, the kite cannot fly forward to early or you will crash.

So anything advertised with low bar pressure and fast steering is not good for Airstyle.
Or let's say not good for me. But I know why I can land so many tricks with my gear and not with others.

I think Robby Naish is a fan of bar pressure, so his kites will have it. And that is good.

And yes, it trains your arms! Women love that ;-)

Macisback
Frequent Poster

Postby Macisback » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:57 pm

So Toby, when will you test the Drafts?

My ones are all yours to test as you know, soon in Djerba, later Egypt and maybe end of year Brazil :-)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:56 pm

when Egypt?

Maybe Naish will demo during the PKRA Germany.
Slingshot will have the Turbines there.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:14 pm

Toby wrote:I think Robby Naish is a fan of bar pressure, so his kites will have it. And that is good.

And yes, it trains your arms! Women love that ;-)
+1 But sadly, the bar pressures have reduced over the years.

The 2013 drafts are nice kites, just couldn't help think that something wasn't right with the bridle on the 14 & 17m. These sizes did not feel anywhere near as developed as the 9m & 12m. That said, all smaller kites are nicer.

Macisback
Frequent Poster

Postby Macisback » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:02 am

Soma in September maybe.
@ the Russian: I could not sense too much difference between the 12, 14 and 17 Draft yet?

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:49 pm

I thought the 9 & 12m felt more direct & less affected by the bridle.

Return to “Kitesurfing”