Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: New Switchkites Element V3 !

Postby Hansen Design » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:14 pm

Hi Marlboroughman:
Interesting idea.
First, understand the Element3 bridle can be tuned for a more 'C'-like turn but de-power is progressively compromised as you move the towpoints outward. We have tuned it for quick turns and max de-power without pulleys.

Regarding your question, the E3 is sufficiently robust enough structure-wise to handle it and the # 1 bridle attachments are in a suitable location for a 5th (with an upper split) or to the center. My concern is the extent of de-power because the kite has a relatively low pitching moment (for drift stability) and the wingtip attachments are a bit aft which limits the AOA change. You could possibly get enough de-power with a loaded 5th but the extent of loading would effect the turning and likely destroy what you are trying to accomplish. An active 5th might do it but is a complex bar issue. The other option is short wingtip 'V' bridles with or without pulleys and a passive 5th.

To achieve it directly, I would build you a true 'C' with enough pitching moment to fully de-power. But, the Bar Pressure would be higher and you would have to limit the bar travel to prevent it from falling out of the sky.
:thumb:
marlboroughman wrote:Do you think if I set it up on five lines it would turn more like a Ckite. My idea is to have a hybrid kite that has depower but behaves as close to "real" Ckite as possible.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:33 pm

Hansen Design wrote:Hi Marlboroughman:
An active 5th might do it but is a complex bar issue.
I have a bar like that and it is very clean. The front lines are attached to the top of the pulley and the fifth to the ring on the line travelling down bellow the pulley so the fifth travels down twice as fast as the fronts (2:1). The only thing I am missing out of laziness is the bungee from the fifth line stopper ball going down for a through the bar safety. If I can't get enough steering while going towards the kite I will try it on my bar. I sold my 7m today looks like I am going with the Element. Are you getting gray ones anytime soon? The green 7m's were added today I see.

felixp
Frequent Poster
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: Switch, Firewire
Been thanked: 0

Postby felixp » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:27 pm

Moving onto to Green ones. No grey ones on the horizon.
Enjoy.

Screwball
Rare Poster
Local Beach: All east Auckland
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switch/Mystic/Shinn/O'Neill
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Screwball » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:41 am

How about red ones? Keen to pull the trigger on a 13m/9m combo once they're in stock in the NZ warehouse but would like to know all the options first. Green looks cool though.

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:53 pm

Green is a bit stark for me....that grey orange combo is sick looking

Return to “Kitesurfing”