Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Opinions on North Dice?

Forum for kitesurfers
recoprianto
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kitebeach, Maui
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Island, CA; La Ventana, Mexico; all of NE Brazil; Kite Beach, Maui
Style: Freeride
Gear: North Neo, North Dice, Custom Surf, North Team Series
Brand Affiliation: North USA team rider
Has thanked: 0

Re: Opinions on North Dice?

Postby recoprianto » Fri May 09, 2014 6:16 pm

Ludmil wrote:
Westozzy wrote:You got all that from a test? Give it 8months and demo about very other 3 strutter on the market and get back to me... :D
Yes.
No thanks.
You do ride C kite for 8 years than you could get back to me :wink:
I've been on C's for about 5 years now and the Vegas for the last 3 of those. The Dice feels very close to the Vegas to me. Not enough of a difference to ride the Vegas. If I was a freestyle competitor, then probably Vegas, but I'm 36 years old :).

It probably does not feel like a Fuel or a Torch, but if you are looking for that type feel, nothing is going to work in it's place.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Ludmil » Fri May 09, 2014 7:12 pm

Westozzy wrote:
Ludmil wrote:
Westozzy wrote:You got all that from a test? Give it 8months and demo about very other 3 strutter on the market and get back to me... :D
Yes.
No thanks.
You do ride C kite for 8 years than you could get back to me :wink:

Fair call, what C kite have you been on?

Well, didn`t intend to get that much involved into this but ok let me see...

Started w/ friend`s Naish ARX
Tacoon Scoop ,rode friends Mamooth /but few times only/
Cab Black Tip /shortly /
Naish X3
Fuel
RRD Obsession Pro /had for a month or so/
Rode various Vegases - /love the 2012 10m2 and btw the latest Vegases have slightly hybrid feel in larger sizes/.
Torches

According to me the Dice has some mixed Evo/Vegas feel, but this is my opininion only, and I don`t feel the need to convince anybody what my findings are...
As I said it is nice kite.

L.

L.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri May 09, 2014 11:55 pm

Cool ta, are you on the torches now, that's a kite I'm going to try next summer. No one is asking you to justify anything, just a chat bro :D

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Sat May 10, 2014 12:24 am

agio wrote:powered old school is one aspect i am into, and i will miss that aspect (maybe i keep the rebel;)) but i have to replace the evo which falls apart, and the new evo seems to be a real different thing. or am i wrong here? searching for nice quick kite for waves, predictable power in loops, good pop. i tried the dice last october for 30 minutes only and it seemed to deliver everything my old evo does, except of the low end. hang time seemed at least as good as from my evo.

so i would keep my 6 evo for constant high winds and ad a bigger kite on top.

either
14 m evo? (i would prefer because of same bar)
17 m edge?
15 m juice (have to look for reviews)
what would be your suggestion on top of the 12m dice?

Well this is just me, I really only use bigger kites for my old school stuff and sometimes the 12m when 20 plus. I personally use the 2011 dyno 16 and 18 but their as rare as hens teeth. Rode the edges quite a bit and have been on the 17m. It's a race kite like the new dyno incarnations, old school nah. Not enough bar feel and static grunt, I could do some, but it was always holding me back in that department. 15m Juice who knows? 14m Evo, the new one, that's a better bet. It's kind of built for powered aka Tom herbet style old school. Replaced the fuse but it's not the fuse which is really just the rebel, better in my mind for old school the new Evo. Reckon I'd give it another gen though, it's not totally optimised from my rides on it. Not sure how they got the dice so right from the get go, but they did. I have to say though I run the 12m on a low Y to get a more direct feel. Naish draft maybe?

Go and demo man.

iwave
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Coyote Point, CA
Style: Freestyle, starting foiling
Gear: Airush Diamond V1 7, 9 and 12. Blankforce MK5 & Advisory

Postby iwave » Wed May 21, 2014 5:14 am

I had a good try of the Dice 10m in various conditions so I thought I could post my feeling about this kite. I am 68kg and kiting since 2008.
I had 5 different sessions with the kite.
Overall I think it's a pretty good kite, very well balanced out of the box and very easy to handle and sound.
I thought it's very good for looping and unhooking. It has also a very good high-end. I did not try it in the waves so I can't comment on that. It handles gusts and go upwind reasonably well. Relaunch ability was not great but sufficient.
However a couple of things bothered me with this kite: it has poor low-end and it does not boost well.
Using my 132 twintip, the low-end was about 14 knots. For comparison, my 8m Lithium is more powerful. Also I noticed that sinning the kite does not help much in generating more power in its low-end. I also tried the Varial X 2014 10m (which is kind of similar in shape to the Dice). I read that some people were complaining about the low-end of the VX. But I found that the VX has better low-end that the Dice (same size). For me, the low-end on the VX was about 11 knots, so a big difference...
I thought boosting on the Dice was poor. I tried different jumping techniques and timing, but overall boosting was disappointing. It's only when I was quite well powered that I started to take some height.
However, despite poor boosting, hovering tricks were quite good on the Dice (hand wash transition, dark slide, etc.).
That was my comments on the Dice...
(I'll put my comments on the VX 2014 10m in a separate post)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Wed May 21, 2014 6:09 am

And I concur with these findings to. The dice takes some wind before you really boost well, although over time like with any kite you learn what makes it best work. But I wouldn't go as far to say it's got a poor bottom end, it all depends on what you want to achieve. I'm regularly out on my 16m dyno at 74kg on a light wind TT and my mates is alongside me at 87kg on a 12m dice and nugget. There is a knack to getting the best out of the kite at its bottom end, it doesn't come straight away, but it's there. Before the decent boosting wind speed per size it's really an excellent wave kite, and excellent hooked in freestyle kite and a decent unhooked kite although you get nothing like the slack you'd want from a proper Unbridled C.
Last edited by Westozzy on Wed May 21, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Wed May 21, 2014 9:25 am

iwave wrote:I had a good try of the Dice 10m in various conditions so I thought I could post my feeling about this kite. I am 68kg and kiting since 2008.
I had 5 different sessions with the kite.
Overall I think it's a pretty good kite, very well balanced out of the box and very easy to handle and sound.
I thought it's very good for looping and unhooking. It has also a very good high-end. I did not try it in the waves so I can't comment on that. It handles gusts and go upwind reasonably well. Relaunch ability was not great but sufficient.
However a couple of things bothered me with this kite: it has poor low-end and it does not boost well.
Using my 132 twintip, the low-end was about 14 knots. For comparison, my 8m Lithium is more powerful. Also I noticed that sinning the kite does not help much in generating more power in its low-end. I also tried the Varial X 2014 10m (which is kind of similar in shape to the Dice). I read that some people were complaining about the low-end of the VX. But I found that the VX has better low-end that the Dice (same size). For me, the low-end on the VX was about 11 knots, so a big difference...
I thought boosting on the Dice was poor. I tried different jumping techniques and timing, but overall boosting was disappointing. It's only when I was quite well powered that I started to take some height.
However, despite poor boosting, hovering tricks were quite good on the Dice (hand wash transition, dark slide, etc.).
That was my comments on the Dice...
(I'll put my comments on the VX 2014 10m in a separate post)
What he said.

Just add one thing to the review, the Dice is awesome in waves.

Slawek aka Spooky
Rare Poster
Gear: North
Been thanked: 0

Postby Slawek aka Spooky » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:48 am

It's been a while since DICE 2014 is in the market , wanted to give it a try. However my chances for demo - very limited .... :(

my weight is 85 Kg and i'm intending to change the biggest kite (rebel 12m 2012) with e.g. a DICE.
Why that "direction"?: need for speed .... -after a couple of sessions on my 2013 vegas 10m and going back to rebel 12m... I found it waaay too slow.
Don't care about DICE limited boosting out-of-box, I might work it out later:)
I usually go kiting in a lake where we have normally 12-max 20 Knt.
And I go to ride the sea too ( read more windy spots ).
My doubt is the following: DICE 12 o 13?

Obviously , i wouldn't like to end up with DICE (13m?) being similarly reactive to Rebel 12. And prefer not to overlap with 10m Vegas.

How about differences using big DICE with a 4 line bar and 5 line bar?
worried to learn (@this forum, even Dan admitted) DICE flies bad on 5 lines...
Any suggestions from anyone experienced with bigger DICE's?

Or maybe instead :!: I should give 12m REBEL2014 a try ? Faster than 2012 ?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:17 am

2014 dice 12m won't compete with 12m rebel for low end...or high end of that matter...it's a bridalled C kite, can't get away from that.

Or if you can 2015 dice, much bigger low end, they've moved into more into the powered freeride territory.

Return to “Kitesurfing”