Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What a plonker!

Postby BigPaul » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:36 am

Yesterday a friend lent me his 10 Naish Park.

I was on the beach for ages trying to pump it up. I was cursing the thing for being so stupid for not having one pump inflation and making the struts really hard to pump up and then put the stopper in with out losing loads of air!!!!

I finally managed it and got out on the water for a pretty decent surf. Anyway I came into the beach and said to my mate. its a nice kite but I can not understand why a modern kite would not have single point of inflation or at least one way valves on the struts?

He then pointed out to my embarrasment that it was an Octupus system and you simply put the plugs in and in flate from the leading edge as normal. :baby: The bungs on the struts are just a nice and simple way of deflating the kite properly for storage.

I might of been surfing for years but I can still make a proper tit of myself :naughty:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: What a plonker!

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:08 am

:D :D

Good one. I met a guy that was so excited since he had just bought this new cult...but then soooo disappointed that it did not have single inflation. I finally convinced him to close the valves and just pump :-)

I think we all have a brainfart every now and then. It is awesome when you have it around friends because they will never let you live it down..in a good way. :-)

kas911
Frequent Poster

Postby kas911 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:17 pm

Yeah the octopus is awesome. right up to the point where you get a hole in your LE :roll:

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:06 pm

I see the Wainmann 3.0's are all single point inflate-O now too.

I couldn't imagine going back to doing individual struts again......

BrianMaiden
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho, Kingfisher, Fuerte, Tarifa, Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Gwithian
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone

Postby BrianMaiden » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:34 am

POACHER wrote: I couldn't imagine going back to doing individual struts again......
… yeah me too, i'd probably just give up kiting... :roll:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:29 am

BrianMaiden wrote:
POACHER wrote: I couldn't imagine going back to doing individual struts again......
Agree, it is such a hazzle to pump individual struts, that when wind is for my lightweight lightwind kite (individual struts as lighter) I always try to take a size smaller with one-pump, simply to avoid the hazzle inflating and deflating :o
Also considering a foil kite (maybe the Chrono) as the lightwind one, simply to avoid these non-one-pump kites which sucks bigtime when you kite 150 to 200 times per year :x

In fact I sometimes remove the strut clips too, as they are just in the way and even more weight and hazzle and takes longer to deflate.
Only use these on rare days when I want to deflate my LE only, because I pack down and go to another spot, or if raining and I have to dry it in the house.
But I COULD easily live without these clips at all, and would be much better off without them :rollgrin:

8) Peter

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:23 pm

BrianMaiden wrote:
You would give up kiting if you had to do 6 ball valves when it's -20F wind chill there Francis......
So kindly piss off you round headed twonk.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:17 pm

I did the same thing the first time I inflated my Nemesis. Felt like a serious chuckle head when I figured it out.

As far as strut hose clamps, I never used to use them, but I do now. Have a laugh at my expense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0PZeK5ZzAY

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:35 pm

my buddy and i laugh at the notion of not buying a kite because it doesnt have one pump. I like not having it frankly. the struts get harder and when you have to do any kind of repair it is much easier.

i can get my wainman pumped up quickly enough as it only has 3 struts but the thing is super rigid and so incredibly stable in strong gusty wind. i am sure that has more to do with the profile but being able to get all the struts rock hard helps i think.

anyways, i will be the sole voice for the counterpoint here. I noticed that the new wainmnan 3.0 rabbits have single point inflation but they are also going to be producing the kites in individual strut inflation as well after this first run.

i think one pump is an overrated feature in kites. actual flying characteristics are much more important to me.

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North

Postby BigPaul » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:10 pm

I don't mind either system both work well. My 14 and 17 are both strut inflation kites and the rest of my quiver is one pump. As has been stated I had a Brain fart ;)

The other thing I seem to do constantly is forget about the wing tip dump valve! 5 mins into pumping. I'm like ah shit not again! !!!!

I get too excited and just want to get out :)

Really liked the Naish system once I understood it. But did not think about the issue of a puncture would deflate the whole kite. Which could be an issue. Unless I just missed the cleats.

Return to “Kitesurfing”