Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best massive air kite for 30 + knots? old Raven lover...

Forum for kitesurfers
red_eye1980
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ixia, Kremasti, Prasonisi on the island of Rhodes
Favorite Beaches: Have not travelled to kite yet but been in Cabarette Dom Rep and seemed nice.
Style: Free ride
Gear: Rhino 2006 10m, Havoc 2007 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best massive air kite for 30 + knots? old Raven lover...

Postby red_eye1980 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:12 pm

red_eye1980 wrote:Dont mean to hijack the thread here but im also in the market for a 7m high wind kite to replace my 09 waroo. im considering the draft and the switchblade both from 13 to 14. I always buy unused kites that are one or two years old. i mention these two cuz i think i found not too bad deals for them.

I want something that jumps big, isn't too fast , doesnt have high bar pressure and goes upwind well. oh and depowers well, important for a 7m.

Im a little sceptic on the cabrinha mainly because i got an xbow to replace my 08 10m nemesis (best kite i ever had, for me) yes it was ok the xbow, more hangtime and more stable but less upwind, more bar pressure, less lift and slower kite in general. i also tried a cult (must have been a 12m, and seemed ok but just ok, wind wasnt the best to be honest).

So has anyone tried both the draft and the switch at 7m? how would they compare?
None? After reading the "hype" switchblade seems more allround performance while draft more racing/jumper. should be slower too. it's only that bar pressure that worries me

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:24 pm

red_eye1980 wrote: draft more racing/jumper. should be slower too. it's only that bar pressure that worries me
The Draft is no racer (get an Edge or Dyno for that) - it's a user friendly hangtime kite & I didn't find bar pressure an issue.

red_eye1980
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Have not travelled to kite yet but been in Cabarette Dom Rep and seemed nice.

Postby red_eye1980 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:22 pm

Thank you russian. was worried about the bar pressure. i sold a caution mayhem because of that (otherwise an awesome kite). the draft is meant to be a relatively slower turning kite, which for me is good in the smaller sizes. not looking for racing, just a kite that jumps well and i found a good deal for it, well the draft and the switchblade.

dimip
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All over Naxos Island
Favorite Beaches: Glyfada Beach,
Amitis Bay
Style: My style :p
Gear: Griffin kites, Shinn monk, Rrd barracuda, F-one mitu

Postby dimip » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:11 pm

Then buy the same if you like it so much http://www.naish.gr/kiteboard/kites/rav ... -2597.html

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:43 pm

dimip wrote:Then buy the same if you like it so much http://www.naish.gr/kiteboard/kites/rav ... -2597.html
€300 a bargain :D

red_eye1980
Medium Poster

Postby red_eye1980 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:15 pm

Sorry dimip, im not the original poster, i started on c kites but haven't had anything without a bridle for years now. never had a raven either

dimip
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All over Naxos Island
Favorite Beaches: Glyfada Beach,
Amitis Bay
Style: My style :p
Gear: Griffin kites, Shinn monk, Rrd barracuda, F-one mitu

Postby dimip » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:19 pm

red_eye1980 wrote:Sorry dimip, im not the original poster, i started on c kites but haven't had anything without a bridle for years now. never had a raven either
Give the "info" to the original poster then, I think they can send anywhere the kite...

Even though if I was you I wouldn't buy anything from 2007. I would prefer a Nitro v3 8m way better range, easier safety realese to assemble again. (similar characteristics boost huge, hang time etc)
http://switchkites.com/kites/nitro2-1.html

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:32 am

vilaprea wrote:Hey guys,
I'm looking for a high-jumping, great hangtime kite that will handle nicely in 30 to 35 knots :D

I loved my 2006, 8m Naish Raven, it got me nice and high and stayed there for quite some time, favorite all-time kite. Only issue is that after crashing it a few times in the waves, no-one in Brazil wanted to get close to the bladders, the octopus system being the major issue, and buying spares here is just not an option. So after a few repairs I had to ditch it.

Since 2008 I've been riding RPM's, a 7m and then 8m (better), I love the bomb-proof quality and it's pretty decent in terms of height and hangtime but I'm wondering if it is worth trying something different.

I've been thinking about the Draft, but it's either a 7 or a 9m and I would have to get a full replacement kit of bladders...

Has anyone tried both the older Raven's and the Draft?

Any other suggestion is welcome :thumb:
The height of my jumps really improved since I moved to xr3, the 9m was my favorite until I tried the 7m. In stronger wind it will rip you really good but you will also have a nice glide even with the 7m.

vilaprea
Medium Poster
Gear: RPM's

Postby vilaprea » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:04 pm

I ended up getting a 7 m Draft, only tried it in 25 knots so far and it jumped pretty well (I weight 60 kg), it seems like it will easily handle 35+ though, looking forward to the full moon.

It certainly is a slow turning kite, and does jump real easy, hang time is pretty decent given the fact that I was probably on the lower range, I guess I'll find out when it starts blowing again. I wish Naish produced an 8m, it's the perfect size for here.

Riding upwind was real easy and bar pressure was non-existent compared to the older Raven or the 2011 RPM I've been using, but then I haven't tried so many kites in the past few years and I don't usually go out under 30 knots either.

red_eye1980: Given your description, I think this kite is for you, I would imagine the Switchblade turns much faster.

thanks for the info dimip: at EUR 300, it certainly is a deal, I'll see if I they have an 8m laying around (looks like they have 9 and bigger sizes only).

dave1986, wicked shots man and nice looping, "feel of being wrenched off the water", is what I miss soooo much. The difference with the Raven is that you keep flying, unlike most kites that drop you as fast as you launched ;-)

Russian: Thanks for all the info. Do you think the 8m Edge would compare to the 8m Raven III? So far it looks like the closest call. Will certainly look into it for my next purchase. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”