Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Boardriding Maui Paipo, lightwind..or any wind.

Forum for kitesurfers
Comar
Rare Poster
Local Beach: BZH
Style: Strapless
Gear: Zeeko Notus, Slingshot Celeritas
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Boardriding Maui Paipo, lightwind..or any wind.

Postby Comar » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:27 pm

Looks like the pad of the new Spleene Zone.
Rollup_gold_EN600.png

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:13 pm

Harri wrote:Refering to DIY: i had the BRM Paipo as one of the first in europe last year. Great, really great board, but on my homespot with thermical 10 knots and weighing nude 95kg.....to much rocker!
So i bulit myself a similar board with 169/48 cm; 169 x 51,5 cm and 151 x 45 cm, all with really flat scoop (2cm), no rocker! Just great fun in choppy water!!!! Way better fun than riding a door in these conditions!

Making off...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwv-sgWhtmc

Harri,

Those boards look great! What is the green stuff around the edge? Epoxy and filler of some sort?

Phil
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Famara
Gear: Naish Slash 2017 9m & 7m, Firewire Vader 5'3, HB Lafayette 5'10

Postby Phil » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:56 pm

Comar wrote:Looks like the pad of the new Spleene Zone.
Well spoted! :thumb:
Shinn's Shinnster.png
Shinn's Shinnster.png (143.27 KiB) Viewed 2475 times
Spleen pad.png
Spleen pad.png (192.12 KiB) Viewed 2475 times
Phil
Have Fun & Ride Safe

clydesdale
Frequent Poster

Postby clydesdale » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:27 pm

i think there might be a larger paipo coming from shinn

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:51 pm

shinnworld facebook page is sending out shinnster trick of the week. pretty cool of them to do that....

https://www.facebook.com/shinnworld

Coloradokiter
Medium Poster

Postby Coloradokiter » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:34 pm

Finally got the Shinnster and got it all padded up and then out for a comparison to the BRM Paipo in varying conditions.

Now board to board comparison:

Weight - My Paipo was already padded so I had to wait for my pads to get the Shinnster padded to have a semi fair comparison of weight. So with nearly full deck padding on both, the Paipo weighs in at 7 lbs 12 oz and the Shinnster weighs in at 7 lbs 13 oz. I weighed them on a good USPS scale. Of course the padding job isnÕt the same but I was surprised they came out so close. Also this is with NO fins attached.

Dimensions are nearly exact. I say nearly because the Shinnster comes out a smidgeon (nearly unnoticeable) wider in the mid section. It's really un-measurable but it is there just the same. The nose is just a little bit of a different shape. Again minor and probably just a molding thing.

Rocker is definitely different. The BRM starts it's nose rocker way further into the middle of the board. The Shinnster is much flatter through out the board with the nose kicking more in the last few inches. Meaning that the BRM has a more consistent rocker profile throughout the board while the Shinnster is a bit flatter in profile.

Thickness is about the same but the Shinnster has slightly beveled (softer) edges where the BRM is very squared off (hard) edging.

Flex - the Shinnster is much softer that the BRM.

The Ride in flat Water - I ride my Paipo finless but I got the Shinnster to compliment the BRM but I would keep riding the BRM finless and the Shinnster with fins, that was my original plan. So to compare them I decided to keep the fins off the Shinnster to get a better comparison. I rode for a total of 2 hours on the boards for the test and switched back and forth every 15 minutes. I was in total flat water with winds averaging 13mph with a new Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5. I love my Paipo and use it in everything from Flat to head high waves with no fins, it's just a blast to play with. So I rode the Paipo first and then jumped on the Shinnster. First impression was how much faster across the water the Shinn would go. I kind of expected a little difference, all due to the rocker profile, but it was very noticeable right away. Because the Shinn was faster it also allowed me to get a little more up wind on each tack as compared to the Paipo. As for other things, tacking, ollie's, jibing it seemed all pretty much equal. Both boards are a blast.

Waves: I have not had the Shinnster out in much over 3 feet yet but I have had the BRM out in just overhead conditions. With that said I would continue to ride the BRM in the bigger stuff since it has a better rocker profile to slow it down a bit (although going slow on one of these in head high isn’t that easy but a LOT of fun) The BRM having that harder edge also bites and holds onto the wave face. The Shinnsters softer edge allows a lot more looseness and is a lot of fun in the smaller stuff. BUT if you throw the fins on I am positive it will out hold the BRM on big waves. If I want fins I will just go to my surfboard. I also like that the color of the Shinnster lets me find it a lot faster than the BRM once I have a blow up.

To wrap this up I was originally going to ride the Shinnster with fins but right after my first session I think there is enough control with the edging that I'll not throw the fins on for quite awhile. There is enough difference between the boards in flex and rocker profile that I'll keep and ride both boards a lot. My 2 surfboards are a Firewire Vanguard and a Airush Cypher so if it is clean surfing conditions with good wind then I use the SB’s otherwise I’ll grab the Shinnster or the BRM. FYI I kite South Padre Island TX, weigh in at 170#, kiting for 12+ years and strapless for 5 years.

Thanks,

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:02 pm

Very nice job comparing both boards. Looks like you had a blast! Have fun :bye:

handy
Medium Poster
Gear: wave
Brand Affiliation: ahcustoms.ch

Postby handy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:06 am

i build quite a lot off boards like this with 3 different scoop/rocker lines from lightwind to wave.
But even in flatwater the the wave rocker has some advantages as for jumping it relaeses much easyer from the water.
http://ahcustoms.ch/page8.php

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:01 am

Nice boards.
What is the currency (Sfr.)? CHF?

handy
Medium Poster
Gear: wave
Brand Affiliation: ahcustoms.ch

Postby handy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:09 am

yepp Sfr. = CHF. = swiss franks

Return to “Kitesurfing”