Spots Closed by Beginners and Accidents

Forum for kitesurfers
william_rx7
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Spots Closed by Beginners and Accidents

Postby william_rx7 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:48 pm

Is it really true that "Bad" riding (buzzing swimmers, violating swim areas, launching / landing on crowded beaches, treed kites), kiting accidents or boat rescues get beaches closed to kiting? Sure there's grumbling afterwards, but does it actually ever happen?

It's frequently stated that any questionable behavior will get a beach closed, but sketchy riding has been going on for 15 years now, and somehow, miraculously, most beaches remain open.

I'm sure somewhere, sometime, there was an accident that got a beach closed but it doesn't really seem to actually happen very often.

For example: In Ontario, the #1 beach (Keswick) was closed in 2008, from too many riders (50+) in a small neighborhood park only 20 meters wide (people still ride there in the lake, just can't launch / land in the park). Everyone thought it was the end of kiting everywhere. However in 2013, 2 Ontario riders died in unrelated accidents without a single spot being closed.

Post your story of actual beach closures, and what got them closed.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Spots Closed by Beginners and Accidents

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:17 am

Never heard of anywhere being closed down due to 1st party accident of kiter - in all of history.

Kiters mixing it up with 3rd parties is another issue entirely - eg public. not keeping buffer zone.. - even then there are very few reports of any third party injuries caused by kiteboarders also - kiteboarders are pretty considerate people generally I reckon, partly because they know you need to show respect to get respect.

This is why my opinion differs so greatly from RickI - the self proclaimed kiteboarding safety guru - he thinks a proactive database of kiteboard accidents is detrimental to him, as his local authorities may use it to close down spots. I however think it shows a proactive, responsible attitude that will help educate riders without having to read through 1000s of web pages where it is all available anyway as kiters are clearly so keen for others to learn/be educated from any possible mistakes made.

Rick I has a database - his his private, he will not make it available. He has a conflict of interest though, in that he does paid work for the courts from time to time based on this information - so I created an open source one - anyone can add to it and they sure have. It's not perfect but being open source anyone can add to it or take the data and use it themselves.

Its people's own choice if they want to open,read it and learn. There is no doubt though that good education saves life's.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... 5Wnc#gid=0

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:05 am

Why wouldn't Ricci keep the info available????

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:03 am

I think it already happened several times in the past!

Wasn't there an accident with a kid that got lifted from the lines on a UK beach?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:50 am

Yeah few years ago - ended up in cuts and bruises, know of one other in france not full details tho second hand story from literally 14 years ago.

Google kiters hurting themselves - too many - hurting others - very few.

Then there was case of kiter hitting windsurfer and windsurfer (france) killed but no one really knew why , seemed possible heart attack - dunno what outcome of that one was...

Anyway, if you show responsibility and common sense with authorities I see no reason for trouble. If it's a crowding thing thats a different matter - no recreational user really has more rights than any other - just show respect and be considerate.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby William Munney » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:49 pm

Toby wrote:I think it already happened several times in the past!

Wasn't there an accident with a kid that got lifted from the lines on a UK beach?
Also Tony the Clammer:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2360481

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Robsw6 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:13 pm

Toby wrote:Wasn't there an accident with a kid that got lifted from the lines on a UK beach?
where's Wind_rider when you need him :wink:

william_rx7
Medium Poster

Postby william_rx7 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:28 pm

Terrible story re:Tony the Clammer and the UK kid being lifted by kite lines.
Where did this happen?
Did the accident "close the beach" to kiters?
Do people still kite there today?

It seems that even with terrible accidents, spots remain open.

Maybe we're not "just 1 accident" away from having our spots closed, as so many self-appointed kiting police point out all the time.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:33 pm

william_rx7 wrote:Terrible story re:Tony the Clammer and the UK kid being lifted by kite lines.
Where did this happen?
Did the accident "close the beach" to kiters?
Do people still kite there today?

It seems that even with terrible accidents, spots remain open.

Maybe we're not "just 1 accident" away from having our spots closed, as so many self-appointed kiting police point out all the time.
So you think it is better just to be disrespectful and endanger others because that will help the situation? These "self-appointed kiting police" don't want to have to nudge people in the right direction trust me. I'm sure they would rather just go about their business of having fun on the water but when you see kooks doing stupid dangerous things in order not not be lumped into "those damn kiters" they have no choice but to intervene... I can just imagine what it would be like if they didn't.

RedSky
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Camber
Gear: 8m Genetirx Hydra, 6m Slingshot RPX, 5m Switchblade

Postby RedSky » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:50 pm

Toby wrote:I think it already happened several times in the past!

Yeah. A kitesurfer trying to solo land her kite on the beach managed to get a 3yr old kid caught in the lines and lofted him! As a result the council banned kite buggying forever. Go figure.

Return to “Kitesurfing”