Boots vs Footstraps?

Forum for kitesurfers
dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Re: Boots vs Footstraps?

Postby dyyylan » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:24 pm

If you're looking for easy to get in and out of make sure you get boots with velcro instead of laces. The laces are such a pain in the ass and require both hands. Not to mention the laces wear out and can break, mine are about to pop on my ronix ones. As soon as these boots blow up (had them 6 months, already shredded) I'm probably going to pick up another pair of LF cradles, or maybe vantage.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TheJoe » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:32 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:Anyone come across any boots on sale for a fair price?

Don't need top of the line, just something easy to get in/out of with a kite in the air. :thumb:
Buywake.com and Evo.com just get close outs. You can all so hit up ebay for close outs. Velcro is the easiest in and out and closed toe is the way to go.

jats2k9
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft Lauderdale
Miami beach
Style: Wakestyle, Freestyle
Gear: Best
Been thanked: 0

Postby jats2k9 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:38 pm

I Dont know your foot size, but if you use a small number. Slingshot has the 2013 rad size 8 for $149.
I wear 8.5- 9 on shoes and the 8 on the rad bindings is just perfect for me.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:18 am

Don't make up your mind regarding laces/velcro unless you actually go and fit some boots.

I've got LF Raph's with laces and LF Vantage's with velcro, and I find the Raphs are actually easier to work with one hand.

Best is go to a wake shop, sit on your ass and try putting on the boots with one hand.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:06 pm

+1 for laces.

Both can have their issues, but having dealt with both, I generally prefer laces. Both could be done better. Velcro should have no sharp edge (that they always have) to tighten over that chew up the cheap fake leather they use in no time.

Laces you get better heel hold, but eventually they all begin to slip when exposed to the extended use of kiteboarding.

I never lace up until a few minutes into my session and out of harms way. Lacing up on land is a bad idea. Our typical launch is a hop in off a breakwall, so its a step in and boost off into the water. None of the hassle people put themselves through or site as inconvenience associated with boots.

Velcro is definitely faster, but I would only opt for velcro upper. Lower .... lace all the way.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:20 pm

do you guys got any trick for easiness of getting in?

for me is really, really a major pain... making sure the boots are wet and wearing some lycra socks seem to help but wonder if there is anything else i can do

live2play
Medium Poster

Postby live2play » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:11 pm

Just curious if there is a type or style of twintip that more favour or benefit with using boots? (ie. stiffer or more squared tips)

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:21 pm

i usually put the kite down on a wingtip, get in, launch and ride. I'm at a pretty shallow spot though.

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:21 pm

i usually put the kite down on a wingtip, get in, launch and ride. I'm at a pretty shallow spot though.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:30 pm

I find getting in to dry boots much easier. I make sure my laces are wide open and pull the tongue forward before I launch the kite and can generally just step in nice and smooth. Once their wet, I typically have to put one hand down and grab the handle on the back of the boot to tug a bit while stepping in. If your using an older style boot with no lycra lining and just the foam, then yeah, there is no easy way. Even wakeboarders used to keep a bottle of dish soap in the boat for those.

Undo laces to full loose while out in the deep and wiggle the foot and ankle on the way back in to the launch is enough that I can just pull out one foot, place it on the board and pull out the other nice and quick.

Boards that suit boots are going to be a bit wider, longer, stiffer, with more rocker than standard kiteboards. They often have some bottom channels these days so they suit small/no fins. At 5'11" and 180 lbs I have settled around 142x42ish. Most are fairly typical freeride kiteboard outline and not the super fat square tip that some more freestyle oriented kiteboards use.
Last edited by Starsky on Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”