Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airush Varial kite collapse while looping it.

Forum for kitesurfers
GrodanBoll
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Airush Varial kite collapse while looping it.

Postby GrodanBoll » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:22 pm

Often when I jump high I like to downloop the kite when I change direction or make a heli loop if I want to keep ride in the same direction. Most kites I tried loop smooth. I do however have problems with my Airush Varial 8m kite. I pump the kite until it feels like it´s about to explode, still often when I loop it the kite flatters or sometimes gets deformed.

Today I had a session with my Airush Varial X 10m and all loops were smooth and "comfortable". Then the wind picked up so I took my Varial 8m kite which has a bit shorter lines (in case this has something to do with my issues when looping this kite). But looping this 8m Varial kite is not a joy as with my other bigger kites (8m is my smallest kite). For instance I made a quite high jump to the left and aimed for loop on my way down, but the f-n kite got deformed in the middle of the loop and then eventually got back its shape, but my landing was far from soft...

So question is if it´s me that simply can't handle this 8m Varial kite or is it some kind of construction error that makes this kite a poor looper?

vkngktr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: AirRush, Amundson Customs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Airush Varial kite collapse while looping it.

Postby vkngktr » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:40 pm

I have a 2014 8m VarialX and I dont have any issues looping it. I too inflate really well. I would check the bridles and line lengths. Contact your dealer or Airush.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:03 pm

does it have pullies that could old and jamming while looping?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:42 am

An obvious thing to check is bar trim.
With big kites an inch or so of over sheeting may not be a problem (or even noticed).
With little kites it can be more of a problem.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:00 am

BWD wrote:An obvious thing to check is bar trim.
With big kites an inch or so of over sheeting may not be a problem (or even noticed).
With little kites it can be more of a problem.
I think this would normally, if the kite is sensitive to back line pressure result in it collapsing and not flattening..

It sounds like the bridles are a bit tight, and maybe not supporting the center of the kite?

Obviously I have no idea what I am talking about since I have not even seen the kite, but if no one else is experiencing this on the same kite I would see if the bridle is wrong.
Caveat is that you might be looping differently. More power in the loop will put more pressure on the center of the kite.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:12 am

Funny you posted this today. On the way home from the beach, I saw an airush in the intercoastal waters that was flapping like a fat whores you know what. In fact every time I have seen an airush in action , I've thought "what a piece of shit". They always flap. But, I've never flown one so maybe they are the best kites out there.

greginkw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Augustine and Matanzas inlet Florida.
Smathers beach Key West.
Gear: Everything I can get my hands on.
Brand Affiliation: Airush, F-One, Ozone, Slingshot, Cabrinha, Caution and Wainman.
Axis, Crazy Fly.

Postby greginkw » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:21 pm

From your post you sound like you are a pretty advanced rider so you may have tried some fixes already, do you know what year it is? I would also check the trimming and maybe let some of your friends ride it and see if they have any ideas on it. Good luck, I have the new 2015 Varial X ( 12m) and love it, although I do not go out and do crazy loops etc. As far as the comment from "Do It" goes, I have absolutely no solution for it, maybe he is right about them being terrible but considering he said he has never flown one maybe he is also right by saying they are the best kite out there. We sell Airush (as well as F-One, Cabrinha, Slingshot and Ozone kites), so please let us know if you find out what the problem is.

Greg
http://www.oceanextremesports.com/

Fatfish98
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Fatfish98 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:18 pm

If it's a Varial and not a Varial X then it's 2010 or 2011 and a much flatter kite. I had them and the 9m and smaller did the same especially with my 95 kg (hence using it in stronger wind than lighter rider)
Basically it's not you, it's the kite if like I said it's the older Varial.

GrodanBoll
Medium Poster

Postby GrodanBoll » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:49 pm

Fatfish98 wrote:If it's a Varial and not a Varial X then it's 2010 or 2011 and a much flatter kite. I had them and the 9m and smaller did the same especially with my 95 kg (hence using it in stronger wind than lighter rider)
Basically it's not you, it's the kite if like I said it's the older Varial.
It´s a Varial (not Varial X) from 2011.
I trimmed the lines the other day. The center lines were (not suprisingly) longer than the steering lines. However with the default settings with this Varial kite it almost feels like riding a depowered kite, so I´ve made extra nots to tighten the steering lines about 2 inches.
Will try to go back to the default settings and see if the kite still collapses when I loop it.

I´m also quite heavy btw, 87 kg without wetsuit.

Return to “Kitesurfing”