Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: 15m North Juice V Ozone Zephyr

Postby Westozzy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:46 pm

Don't be afraid of large kites, they turn slower and are easier to use.

BUT

what boards are you running and also what type of wind conditions do you get?

What is the gust range like. That would be my only concern as a relative newbie.

Do you need to have some safety margin due to wind gusts?

Can you get on any demos?

Have you considered the OR flite 17m for your list?

UKRob
Rare Poster
Gear: North Rebel 11m (2012)
Been thanked: 0

Postby UKRob » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:04 am

I havent considered outside the box yet as my current kit is North and Ive used a Zephyr a couple of times. I travel a fair amount and so will have different scenarios, am planning to spend some time again soon in Sharm El Sheihk where conditions are generaly fairly steady and gusts tend to only be light. My home ground is South of England (UK) where anything can happen but tends to be steady if light.

My only board at the moment is a X-Ride 139cm.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:59 am

Mmm without another board (smaller) then your safe bet is then the ones you are thinking of rob.

Otherwise the gap between the 18 and an 11 rebel...without another board on the beach to cater for changes in the wind or if you just happen to underestimate the wind might leave a gap in no mans land.

I'd try those other two kites mentioned as well if you can.

Remember also the juice is really a first gen new kite, the zephyr (although a new kite in 2013) still had a platform for a few years before this...oh make sure the zephyr is 2013 and on by the way. So do the flite and contra. They just about always improve the 2nd gen by a suitable margin although the number of gens to get a kite right is rapidly decreasing with the know how we have now. There is no right decision, just get one and make it work. That in the end is how most on these scenarios pan out man.

All things considered, and your water time, I think I might retract my 18m suggestion. 17m no probs. if you are looking for something with a greater low end than the zephyr then look at the flite. But ultimately both will work, and if you need smaller board after a while it's a cheaper option. I'm not a big fan of 14/15m kites I think they are halfway to nowhere. That s been my experience anyhow.

UKRob
Rare Poster
Gear: North Rebel 11m (2012)

Postby UKRob » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:09 pm

Thanks West Ozzie thats a lot of useful info there!

OldGuy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: S.F. Bay Area
Style: all
Gear: Twin tips, surf boards, race boards

Postby OldGuy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:54 pm

Hey westozzy, I'm interested in your opinion, but I don't understand what you mean when you said......... "I have ridden the juice (and ridden enough kites to work out what it is all about. Pesonally its much of a much ness..." would you mind clarifying..........what " much ness " means.

I'm 66k and can ride a 13 Edge in just about anything worth riding in. What I especially like about the Edge is it's light weight and ability to stay in the air, what I don't like about the Edge is turning and relaunching. So how would, in your opinion, a 15m Juice compare with a 13m 2013 Edge ?

In really light wind, say under 12 or so I'll ride mainly a race board, but in a little more wind I'd like do a TT and directional for freestyle. In normal light wind, 16-18 I'll ride a 2014 10m Rebel......

Thanks.........

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:48 pm

It's nothing like the edge at all. It's built for general freeriding. It hits the edge of the window, then sits back a bit, so you don't get that intense apparent wind build up. The edge therefore will outpoint the juice without effort. But the juice will have more static grunt in currents, waves etc and will require less board speed. The juice is a damn sight more stable and will sit back and drift..it can handle some slack lines. It is a far less technical kite to fly, it is fun, with a decent low end and far quicker to turn.

Do t get me wrong though their is definetly some apparent build potential built into its 5.3 aspect ratio, but nothing builds apparent wind like the edge from the kites I've tried anyhow. Haven't been on the 2015 dyno though?

It is what it is and it will suite most riders the juice. But if you want to attack the angles with speed on a race board then I'd be sticking to the edge. But if you want to have fun freeriding then the juice is your kite comparing these two, as personally I don't buy the freeride tag of the edge, it's too one dimensional for that.

OldGuy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: S.F. Bay Area
Style: all
Gear: Twin tips, surf boards, race boards

Postby OldGuy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:43 pm

Hey thanks Westozzy, very good review.
When I ride very light winds one of the things I'm concerned with are the holes. The Edge hangs in the air pretty well, how about the Juice ?

yuko
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oka
Gear: Airush

Postby yuko » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:37 pm

I'll try to add some info here ,

We have a local guy here who distributes Ozone and North and he's a big fan for Zephyr, used to recommend it to almost anybody talking about it's range. Lately he was riding a lot on 15m Juice though and he told me that the Juice loses a little on the low end (which is obvious i think) but gives him way more high end. I'ts not rare to see him ride it in 10-12m weather but i have to mention , he's on heavy side (80kg+ easily)

early bird2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Magdalen Island , Baja
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone , North

Postby early bird2 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:01 pm

Westozzy wrote:Mmm without another board (smaller) then your safe bet is then the ones you are thinking of rob.

Otherwise the gap between the 18 and an 11 rebel...without another board on the beach to cater for changes in the wind or if you just happen to underestimate the wind might leave a gap in no mans land.

I'd try those other two kites mentioned as well if you can.

Remember also the juice is really a first gen new kite, the zephyr (although a new kite in 2013) still had a platform for a few years before this...oh make sure the zephyr is 2013 and on by the way. So do the flite and contra. They just about always improve the 2nd gen by a suitable margin although the number of gens to get a kite right is rapidly decreasing with the know how we have now. There is no right decision, just get one and make it work. That in the end is how most on these scenarios pan out man.

All things considered, and your water time, I think I might retract my 18m suggestion. 17m no probs. if you are looking for something with a greater low end than the zephyr then look at the flite. But ultimately both will work, and if you need smaller board after a while it's a cheaper option. I'm not a big fan of 14/15m kites I think they are halfway to nowhere. That s been my experience anyhow.
Westozzy : I always appreciate to read your reviews. But there is one thing that comesback to my mind since I have read this : when you say 14/15m kites are halfway to nowhere , would you say so if you would be say 95kg and up ? I'm 95kg and I'd like a kite slightly bigger than a 12m but 17m is quite a big step to play in the waves . Would you think a juice 15 would Worth to buy for 95kg ? My feeling is that a 17m for a heavy person is halfway to nowhere , so I think of 12m,15m and then up to 19 for over 95kg. I think there should be a special 90 kg and up forum and reports , every reviews and charts are for 70 kg . That would be so helpfull to go directly into this forum and discover what the heavy persons use.
Again , thanks for all your tips.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:58 pm

Actually I think your thinking is really good and agree entirely with your sizing explanation here, especially if you can afford having a couple of bigger kites at 95kg.

Return to “Kitesurfing”