MBS Colt 90
Switch Element v3 11 and 7m
Best Spin
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New from Texas

Postby NastyNate » Fri May 22, 2015 9:25 pm

Hey everyone!

I've been eyeballing kiteboarding for over 6 years now. I finally picked up a Sensei 3 trainer kite about a month ago and a mountain board about 2 weeks later!
My Girlfriend and I have our first lesson tomorrow. Doing a ground school and water school after. I simply can not wait!!
Looking at a Switch Element in an 11 for both of us to start and a Liquid Force Edge board. I have quite a bit of baording experience while my girlfriend has none. Looking at a Dakine harness with leg straps, I forget the name. I've got a bulging disc and need good support.

Great info on here and I look forward to learning more!

NastyNate
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Corpus Christi, TX
Gear: Sensei 3
MBS Colt 90
Best Spin

Re: New from Texas

Postby NastyNate » Mon May 25, 2015 4:32 pm

I had my first lesson this weekend. Started on a 4m with my mountain board for 2 hours Saturday and then 1 hour on an 11m Slingshot Z on Sunday, not sure what board.

Stood up a few times, ate it a lot, but had a blast! Guess it's all down hill now! I'm going kite shopping!!!

If anyone has any feedback on the gear I mentioned I'd appreciate the help! :thumb:

seaplus
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish, CrazyFly
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby seaplus » Tue May 26, 2015 6:44 pm

Welcome to the "crack-pipe"

If you have back issues, you are correct in getting a seat harness.
As far as which kite or board you should purchase, well that depends on what conditions
you predominately plan to ride in and what style of riding you plan to progress into.

I would assume your instructor gave you some tips or possibly offers discounts on whatever brand he/she taught you on.

NastyNate
Rare Poster
MBS Colt 90
Best Spin

Postby NastyNate » Tue May 26, 2015 11:21 pm

No joke on the crack pipe. I always do it too. Cars, motorcycles, paintball, mountain biking, shooting.... It never fails.

I plan to freeride mainly. Eventually learn to jump and do directional changes jumping. That's really it. MAYBE riding in waves.

He did offer me $25 off the Kite I used with bar and lines. Would have been $675. No tax, but also no pump, so that's kind of a wash. Slingshot no longer makes the Z so I'd have to figure out what is comparable. I'm seriously leaning towards Switch because in the long term it will be less. The Z is the better option immediately.

As far as board I'm looking at a Liquid Force edge in a 146. Easy to start on and my girlfriend can use it if I decide I need something different.

Not a whole lot of tips were given on gear. The main thing is it will be primarily be used in Corpus in beginner friendly areas.

seaplus
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish, CrazyFly

Postby seaplus » Wed May 27, 2015 12:53 pm

I'm not 100% familiar with Switch yet I've heard good reviews online and directly from owners I've spoken to on the beach. After reading their website...the Element appears to fit the bill for what you're wanting and for a brand new rig (kite, bar, pump) it's price is great. In the learning stages and being in Corpus...an 11m should work well for you too. Definitely do not buy the kite he trained you on...as you stated, its a model they no longer make and I'm sure its seen some tomahawks from other students.

That LF Edge 146 will be easy to learn on but once you get going, it will most likely keep you from progressing and you'll hate it. See if a shop will loan you a big board like that or maybe find one on craigslist or even better...find someone that will loan you one. Once you've learned to ride upwind, buy a good board. Be willing to spend a little extra and unless you're a big guy....get a board under 134cm. A good board will last you a lifetime...especially if you luv it.

dimip
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All over Naxos Island
Favorite Beaches: Glyfada Beach,
Amitis Bay
Style: My style :p
Gear: Griffin kites, Shinn monk, Rrd barracuda, F-one mitu

Postby dimip » Wed May 27, 2015 3:40 pm

yeah, just push the banner at the top of kite forum web page and buy yourself the switch element they have a limited offer.
new is new, they have spare parts if you need them, quality, performance is on par if not better with the rest mainstream brands.
no need to buy used kite that you don't know the condition and ruin possibly your first steps into kitting....

NastyNate
Rare Poster
MBS Colt 90
Best Spin

Postby NastyNate » Wed May 27, 2015 9:01 pm

It's done. Bought the Elements in 11 and 7 with bar and a couple spare parts. And I immediately got a call from my cards' fraud department. :D :D

Next up is a harness. I used a mystic force shield. I'll be purchasing that next. Once I had it on I honestly forgot it was there, it didn't ride up, and it had that familiar rappelling harness feel.

Return to “Kitesurfing”