Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New guy kite flying is not easy

Forum for kitesurfers
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

New guy kite flying is not easy

Postby lovethepirk » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:20 am

We have little wind here in sw florida and while I am def getting lessons when I can I had to grab a trainer kite and give it a go. Bought the Hydra HQ 300 and it is a 3m and came with a much smaller foil too. We had some 10mph winds for a while today although I think I set up shop when it died down a little. I was in a good area away from everyone and I'm glad no one got to see the madness.

Anyway, holy sheet was it more difficult than I thought. I started with the little guy and two lines to each arm and ended up watching the kite flip over a few times then maybe my anal attitude caused me to want to untangle the mess then I ended up balling it up after 10 minutes frustrated and then went onto the larger 3m kite. That was easier, but she never got up. I just pulled her a little then had to move the kite back to the original position, then pulled on her, the repeat, then tried to pull on the middle line some....no love. Could be b/c of no wind, or I am just an idiot, but I had fun just failing.

Anyway, I got a sense that this can be a little frustrating as you learn, but I enjoy that. I thought it would be a little easier but the lines and all are tough to not flip and get tangled.

Then I had sand all over everything so I watered everything down at home and my 3m is drying inside now before I pack it away for later in the week.

I just wanted to post and let yall know from a rookie perspective how cool I see this learning process and how much fun I had although I failed miserably!
Attachments
20150608_220028.jpg
20150608_202714.jpg
20150608_202704.jpg

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: New guy kite flying is not easy

Postby Laughingman » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:16 am

Awe man it sucks you are struggling, but learning to untangle the birds nest will be useful later. Keep at it .. If you get no love from the trainers just grab it by the bridal attachment points and try to fly it that way. It might help you to get the idea without the chance of a birds nest. Then go back to the lines and try again.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:45 am

AH the good ol' rat's nest of tangled lines. Sure brings back memories.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none
Been thanked: 0

Postby noel » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:24 am

1st day by yourself can be frustrating. It sounds like there wasn't much wind as the 3m should fly without a problem in 8-10 knots. As said before, the rats nest will happen again. Relax and start with one line at a time. The rainbow colored kite looks like a T Foil. Don't use it. Not so good. The Hydra is a nice kite and steers pretty slow for a 3 meter. Sounds like you didn't pre fill it with wind. That kite inflates while flying. It doesn't flywell at all until it fills with air. After closing the zipper on the back, hold the vent in the middle of the kite into the wind and it will slowly inflate. Then it will fly much better. To fly it just hold the bar. If it hits the water or beach and stays nose down, let go of the bar and the leash on your wrist will flip the kite over and aim it straight up. As soon as you grab the bar, the kite will take off.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:52 pm

lovethepirk wrote:Anyway, I got a sense that this can be a little frustrating as you learn, but I enjoy that. I thought it would be a little easier but the lines and all are tough to not flip and get tangled.
If you haven't had any instruction yet, I'd suggest picking up a DVD with guidance on how to set up, launch and fly a power kite. You'll need lessons before moving to an inflatable kite, but there are some good DVD's that will help you with your Hydra. "The Way to Fly" is a good starter DVD that begins with power kite instruction and carries through to the water. Here's a link: http://khkkiteboarding.com/collections/ ... tional-dvd (Disclaimer: I don't get anything by recommending this video, except the satisfaction of helping you get started in a great sport. Have fun, my friend.)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:00 pm

I always recommend the Progression beginner DVD's they are the best. I am in no way affiliated with them. Make sure you get the 2nd edition. I remember when I first started out I must have watched that 100 times the best $35 I ever spent in this sport.

timothymcmackin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Living in Durham, NC. Planning to kite mostly around Wilmington, NC.
Been thanked: 0

Postby timothymcmackin » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:20 pm

Recommend that you get in touch with local land-based kite flyers. It's way easier to fly these kites if someone gives you some tips first, like where to set up, how to rig the kite, and what wind and location is appropriate. Ask at a kite shop or look for local clubs online. Also check kitemap.org for good spots to fly.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:41 pm

When setting up. You need to put sand on the trailing edge of the kite so when you pull on the bar it angles the front of the kite into the wind which will fill the kite with air. Ram air kites always have to be moving in order to stay in the air. Also pulling on either side of the bar is the only way to steer it. Waving it up and down abd twisting does nothing.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:45 pm

clint2070 wrote: Waving it up and down abd twisting does nothing.
lmao

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:13 pm

Untangling tip: start with one line and work it till it's free... continue like that. Drink beer.

Flying tip: if possible, shorten your lines to 10-15m, makes the kite faster turning but also more responsive to your input and less delayed, more intuitive for a 1st time flier. As above said too, since you are stationary you need to keep the kite moving, a lot... fly 8's in the sky...

Good luck and welcome to the sport!

John Z ~ OR

Return to “Kitesurfing”