cape town
Gear: duotone dice
duotone hadlow
cabrinha xcaliber
north pro csc
Been thanked: 0

which wetsuit in dec in floripa

Postby pistolpete » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:11 pm

im visiting florianapolis over xmas. is a rash enough or do i need a shorty or even 3 or 4mm?

dblass
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: which wetsuit in dec in floripa

Postby dblass » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:58 pm

In december a rash should be enough.

zact
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Manly, Queensland
Style: Kook
Gear: Naish Cult '08 - 9 and 12

Postby zact » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:57 am

I was there at the beginning of November last year. Travelling, not kiting. The water was bloody cold. Feet hurt after 30s of standing ankle deep.

I wouldn't be betting on it warming up enough to get by with a rashee by December. The tougher, thicker skinned guys might. But I certainly wouldn't expect to.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:02 pm

I'd have a shorty at the very least for Florida kiting in December. Not because you'll always need it, but because sometimes you will. The north wind in December will be cold; south wind, not so much. But it's tough to forecast what you'll get.

Matt Air
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lakes in Dallas, TX
USA
Favorite Beaches: Have kited in Southern Brazil, Greece, Texas coasts, and Hawaii
Style: Freestyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab Fx 9,12, Kitech foil kites 9m, 12m, Alpine foil, Xenon La Luz TT, cloud kite 5.5, 9m Ozone Edge

Postby Matt Air » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:27 pm

Ive been to Floripa in early Jan. a few years ago. If i recall, the Lagoa was warmer than the ocean. Currents also affected the ocean temps, so there were days when a spring suit was useful. Also, cold fronts from the south were cooler. So id bring a spring suit at least, especially if u plan on surfing the waves.

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:06 pm

pistolpete wrote:im visiting florianapolis over xmas. is a rash enough or do i need a shorty or even 3 or 4mm?
Im in Florianopolis right now and am using a 4/3 at Novo Campeche. The Lagoa is much warmer and no wetsuit needed in Dec there. I would guess a 3/2 is fine for the ocean spots in Dec but I like to be warm rather than cold so 4/3 for me. I actually brought both my 3/2 shorty and 4/3 full. So just bring both and choose based on the day.

Ps. Its been raining a lot here due to El Nino - had a good south wind sesh at Novo Campeche Saturday but rain for the next 4 days or so. Headed to Ibiraquera this weekend which should be good.

dblass
Rare Poster

Postby dblass » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:05 pm

It has been unusually cold for this time of year because of "El Niño" and more rainy then usual. But the forecast is for a really hot summer this year because of "El Niño".

Usually I am sailing in board-shorts by December, but there may be days where a shorty may be an option, specially at the east side of the island facing the ocean (Campeche) where the water is colder. At the west side (Jurerê) the waters are usually warmer. The lake (Lagoa da Conceição) in the summer is like sailing in a hot tub.

The south wind can sometimes bring cold weather even in the summer, but not often.

I never use my long in the summer.

Return to “Travel”