Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone Chrono V2 - feed back / test?

For all foil kite riders
holden
Medium Poster

Re: Ozone Chrono V2 - feed back / test?

Postby holden » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:34 am

the guy with the video, i also know him, used it with a sector. he likes the kite alot. the friend who let me fly his, used it with a foilboard on that day in very low wind. he is also very happy with it. not too much experience but looking very promising. i've got a joker-6-15 coming in and will be able to compare it to the chrono2 15 over time.

h.

stefarius
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ijsselmeer
Style: freeride, wave, foil
Gear: all kind
Been thanked: 0

Postby stefarius » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:45 am

I had a ride with the Ozone V2 15m. Had the same experience as Evan.

More Stability, bar pressure, more steering input.
Made a short impression on kitefinder. http://www.kitefinder.com/en/kites/1507 ... er-reviews

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:48 pm

We've been playing with both versions of the Chrono. The v.2 is considerably more stable and user friendly than the original. Better inflation and lower AR help a lot. And the standard snowkite bridles are less prone to tangles and snagging which will be less daunting to those of you used to LEIS and feeling a bit overwhelmed by the bridles on the higer AR foils.

For a side by side inflation comparison between the Chrono and Chrono v.2 check this video.

https://youtu.be/FUjkscYpNzA

Bladesurfer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: HagaPark Öland Sweden
Style: Old school Boosting and looping.
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 13m
Ozone Edge V9 8m
Noblie 2HD 134*42.5
Brand Affiliation: Ozone local teamrider.

Postby Bladesurfer » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:38 pm

Finally got some wind to test the 9m V2. I agree with Evan. Very user friendly with loads of lift.
Manage to get 11.4m on the Woo in 16-20 knots and very choppy water . Tomorrow looks like better conditions.
Upload a video when I have time.
Attachments
Chrono 9.jpg

Jugglajon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 100 Pies
Local Beach: Holbox, or wherever I end up.
Favorite Beaches: Clee, Lytham, Holbox, Kappalady, Vella Island, Alankuda, Keros, Long Bay - Turks and Caicos, Rawai, OBX
Style: Foil, surf, freerace, ski, landboard
Gear: Axis Tray 94cm -MIA
Axis 545-MIA, 660 and 1000
Axis 96cm mast -MIA
Moses 633/483 and diy pocket board with C72 mast.
18m Slingshot Phantom
9m Core X Lite
7m Edge V8
6m HK Fury Pro
Axis 136 limited
Airush Sector V3 60
Brand Affiliation: Holbox Kiteboarding school manager

Postby Jugglajon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:03 am

Cheers for the info guys...
.....I got one and I'm already hooked:D

First flight today:

15m2 Chrono V2
5 - 10 knots
Kiting Experience - 12 years
Previous Foil Experience (Peter Lynn Arcs years ago, open cell foil kites on land, 1hr with Flysurfer pulse 2 on water)
Flown both Static and on Hydrofoil (Axis Raceboard and Taaroa Sword2)
~100kg
Line length 24m - Modified Cabrinha Race bar
Wind direction - On - Side on
Cleethorpes UK

First impression - :thumb: Buzzing!!!. I was expecting the transition from LEI to Performance foil to be a little tough, with the V2 it wasn't. I planned to fly static and ride only twin tip until I'd got the measure of the kite but I felt comfortable with it straight away. A lot less quirky than previous foils I've flown/ Foilboarding has revolutionised my kiting and I think this kite might do the same to my foilboarding!

Set up, launch and land

Super easy set up, launched and flew without any tuning hassles. Bridles are a lot more robust than Chrono 1. Interestingly the kite came packed in a concertina fashion to protect the leading edge battens I guess. Wondering if I should try packing it like this also???

Launched easily without preinflation - hot launch and just like Hardwater's video it inflated in seconds. No tip tuck. Also tried the cobra launch which was very controlled and again hassle free. Landing by reversing is straightforward, although landing it in the exact spot where I wanted it was trickier than I thought.

In the air and on the foil

Lightish bar pressure but direct feeling through the bar. Suprisingly a little like my edge. I never needed to check where the kite was whilst riding. :D For a big kite it was pretty quick to turn considering the low wind speed. It also climbed very easily to the zenith after a powerstroke or loop. The AR is lower than I expected having seen so many Chronos and R1's. I've not been able to find any data telling me what the AR is, any ideas?

Once up and moving on the foil the V2 came alive but in an amazingly smooth manageable way allowing me to concentrate on avoiding logs and seaweed and generally rip around.

Power through the loop is very smooth and progressive during both the water start and gybes (touchdown for me at the moment). Nice and lifty whilst up above for foiling Tacks too. I think foil tack and gybe progression will be better with the Chrono than with my previous kites.

At times I really was a little afraid as it was some of the lightest winds I've ridden in. I was sure that I'd need to swim/drift in. It was close. It will happen at some point for sure ( just as it did with the LEI's)

Speed and VMG on the foil was good but I'd be interested to compare speed and upwind angle with the original Chrono.

Not tested

Water relaunch and Flagging, fortunately I didn't need to today but I will test and practice when I reach warmer cleaner waters...

Super stoked and can't wait for some stronger winds to see how she boosts and slides.

Jonny

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Huib » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:05 pm

Has anyone compare the V2 15 with the 18 meter on a TT?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:23 pm

I recently rode the Chrono V2 9m, Raced the V2 9m with my 10m edge. Then had a another racer off with my 12m V1 chrono.

All of this was in the kite buggy.

The V2 looses some upwind ability compared to the V1 and some downwind speed,. Infact i'm calling the V1 and R1 are closer than V2, V1.

As guys has said above the kite is way more stable and fun to fly compared to the V1. It just lacks the fire of the V1.

Interesting on a 10km upwind tacking battle between V2 9m and my 10m edge. The kites were identical.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:31 pm

I have 2 weeks on Chrono v2 13m riding only in ocean side shore and onshore mostly in 9 to 20 mph gust with surfboard skim and some TT. The kite is very stable very forgiving no bad behavior no overflying no tip tuck or stall BS. Relaunch is just Ok but you have to be quick and decisive this is not a flysurfer it ingests water pretty quick BUT also dumps it out quick. As ozone says best not to drop this kite in deep water if you can avoid it. I had a Chrono V1 15m I don't think it went up wind much better than the V2 and certainly wasn't great downwind had a lot of tip tuck overflying and other issues the V2 is definitely better downwind especially on a wave ( I know it's not a wave kite) The V2 is easy to recover in the air and less prone to tangle or bowtie. Bottom line for me low end with large fast surfboard is about the same ( 9mph) as the v1 15 because the V2 is much faster turning and easier to develop apparent wind. also the V2 makes smoother power in the loops. depower is excellent loads on tap and kite doesn't lose stability or turning even when half depowered never felt scary or overpowered gusts turn into instant speed but can easily be managed Good job Ozone :) I didn't like it so much with TT hangtime was good and height was good but only so much you can do on a TT in these conditions I think some LEI is better I prefer 8m conditions and flat water for TT anymore who doesn't right?

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:19 pm

I doubt between the V2-15 meters and 18 meters.
According to the wind range chart of Ozone, the 18 meter has a much better low-end than the 15 meters. For the high-end, there is only a marginal difference .
Several posters on this forum recommended in a post the Sonic 18 meters above the 15 meters because of the much better hangtime.
Does this also apply to the V2 for the same reasons?
I (85kg) have now Edge 7 / 9 / 13 meters for a TT.
Can anybody give a good advise?

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:03 pm

go for V2 18m for hangtime on TT

Return to “Foil Kites”