Ozone re-ride system 2015 mod

For all foil kite riders
lopor
Rare Poster
Gear: Catalyst 2014 9m, Soul 15 & 10
Brand Affiliation: None

Ozone re-ride system 2015 mod

Postby lopor » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:35 am

Most of Ozone kites users like the re-ride system Ozone introduced with the 2015 product line. It is really nice but it still has a little space to be improved. The spot where the fifth line enters the kite is strengthened a little by something that looks like the material that is used for the repair kit self-sticking cloth. But this hasn´t proved to be enough, you are probably aware that the line somehow cuts into the sail. The 2016 models have this already solved but for present 2015 kite owners (and those who will buy a 2015 model as a second-hand item) there is an easy and cheap way how to protect the sail from being damaged by the fifth line.

As you can see on the first picture, my kite already has some damage caused by the line. That´s why I have bought a pair of rubber bushings (dimensions are in milimeters). These cost me approx. 6 US cents each in my country, I think the price is negligible wherever you are on the planet. You need to cut the bushing (do not cut it in half, cut only one side of it) so you are able to put the fifth line inside. Once the line is inside glue the bushing back together (do it on a cardboard so you do not accidentally put any glue on the sail). Then just gently put the sail into the rim on the cushing. And there you are - your sail will no longer be cut and torn by the 5th line. This only takes a few minutes and costs almost nothing but can help your kite to last longer.
Attachments
DSC_0282.jpg
DSC_0283.jpg
DSC_0284.jpg
DSC_0285.jpg

early bird2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Magdalen Island , Baja
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone , North

Re: Ozone re-ride system 2015 mod

Postby early bird2 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:29 pm

Very good idea , thanks for the tips Lopor . :thumb:

Lucho
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Monte Hermoso
Gear: north rebel, ozone acces
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lucho » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:03 am

this hapen to mi brand new Ozone Acces after i relese the chiken loop unintentionally. just be carefull when you do!!!!
im talking whit the ozone official dealer in Argentina, hope warranty!
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... 19&o=OneUp

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:22 am

Lucho wrote:this hapen to mi brand new Ozone Acces after i relese the chiken loop unintentionally. just be carefull when you do!!!!
im talking whit the ozone official dealer in Argentina, hope warranty!
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... 19&o=OneUp
Hello,

I wish you success in your claim!

It's not like Ozone to fook up like this. It was so obvious the line would cut into the sail material just by looking at the promo pictures.
Be careful Ozone! Plenty of other foil brands and good inflatables now!

I can confirm that my 2016 Ozone Access 4m was sold to me with a very similar modification to what OP has done to his kite, in other words, I believe Ozone have fixed this problem. But I have not flown this kite yet, just looked at it!

-I like to be very clear when someone may struggle to understand :D

lopor
Rare Poster

Postby lopor » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:24 pm

Hey, I´ve done some inspection to my kite and have to tell you there is not only one spot where the re-ride line cuts into the sail. It goes through the inside ribs through rounded openings. However when you use the re-ride system, the line cuts into the ribs. The closer is the rib to the opening in the kite sail where the fifth line enters the kite, the higher is the load and the deeper the line cuts (and vice-versa: the closer is the rib to the wingtip, the smaller is the cut). As you can see at my picture, the most damaged rib opening is already cut to the seam, which stopped it from cutting deeper. Question to you who have experience with sails, kites and paragliders: Should I install another bushing or will the seam hold and prevent deeper cuts and damage?
Attachments
kitereride.jpg
kitereride.jpg (76.25 KiB) Viewed 2810 times

micheleali
Rare Poster

Postby micheleali » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:52 pm

Hi Iopor

Nice solution !

Where did y buy the black spacer ?

Do Y have the link ?

Thanks for the help
Mike

lopor
Rare Poster

Postby lopor » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:18 pm

Search for them in electronic DYI shops, that´s where I got them (I don´t think my link to a central european e-shop will help you :-) ). These are commonly used to allow cables etc. to be lead through openings in materials (for example you drill a hole in sheet metal and the bushing prevents any cable going through it from being cut by sharp edges).

Return to “Foil Kites”