Forum for kitesurfers
Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Kite control during big boosted jump

Postby Kitemanmuc » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:05 pm

I just started trying big boosted front rolls and am about to die every single time.
Im getting bored of just boosting so I wanted to do some big tricks, my only problem is I keep looping the kite now and i go upside-down. Does anyone have any advice for me on how now to basically kill myself.

I have tried to keep my hands really close, i also have tried my hands overlapping on the center.
But i keep looping the damn kite. Would be thrilled about any feedback or advise you have.

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite control during big boosted jump

Postby slim_charles » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:14 pm

Try removing your backhand as you initiate the roll.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:22 pm

Before you jump, think about which direction you are going. If your left foot is forward remember "Redirect with my left hand." If your right foot is forward remember before you jump "Redirect with my right hand." You probably get confused when you are spinning in the air about which is your front and back hand. You need to get that sorted out before you go up in the air.

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:45 pm

What EDT said and also start with small front rolls and slowly go bigger and bigger. Also - see if you can get a fellow experienced jumper watch you to tell you whats happening. When I first tried backroll kite loops I was over rotating and actually doing a double back roll and looping the kite and same as you - wrecking myself every time because I thought I was in position to land when my body was no where close. it was a combo of someone telling me I was over rotating and then scaling it back - Remember, you don't need to "go big" on the first attempts at a new trick - rather go small and slowly build up to big(er).

But good on you for pushing yourself to the next level! I went through a lot of crashes, fully bruised hammy's, ball slaps, and near ear drum blow outs - but finally got it down now having a blast with loops and new tricks. Whenever I see someone pulling off cool tricks with loops I have a lot of respect as I know they didn't just magically do that - they too went through the pain chamber to get there.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:00 am

Adding to what the other guys have said, I'll set up for a back roll or front roll and think about and literally LOOK AT the redirect hand that I'll need to use to land. Then, as the confusion and fear kick in mid rotation and the medulla oblongata starts to take control, the fading synapses in my optical and hand nerves still have enough residual spark left to avoid complete seizure. As I gently land the trick and ride away, I wave to the bikini girls and murmur to my lizard brain to, pardon my French, go f*** off...

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:30 am

Maybe it's your preference to not loop but I do big boosted front rolls with a big kite loop because I love the feeling of being yanked through the air down wind before I land. It took me about a dozen really hard landings to get the timing right but I eventually did get it right. The issue was timing when I sheet out and sheeting back in during the hard kite loop. Once I got the timing right it's now my favorite trick.

If you don't want to loop the kite then like someone above said just drop your back hand and this will help. I would encourage you to work on timing the loop because you will love the trick a thousand times more with a nice powered kite loop.

powerpersonified
Medium Poster
Style: wake
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby powerpersonified » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:59 am

Just to add a bit. Boosted fronts for me were easier with a tail grab at first. I think it smoothed out the rotation by bringing the body in a more straight line if that makes sense. Also no need to remeber which side of the bar to pull. I really can land boosted front with speed UNLESS i do a downloop.

For timing it just matters how big you go and how early you want to loop the kite. The earlier the b8gger the yank and more speed. I would say redirect the kite hard just a few feet before you hit the water and let it come all the way around. Worse case is you dont stick the landing and you get drug down wind a little. It is easier to land with speed than not tho

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:59 am

I have a similar problem with my switch front rolls except I don't loop the kite but never can pull hard enough to redirect the kite for the landing and end up with the ole tea bagging. Like others have said remove your back hand. I just do a tail grab or a one footer and that fixes my problem.

All so if you only jump to one side make sure your lines are even you might have stretched lines causing the kite to loop on you a lot easier than you want to one direction.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:19 pm

frontroll or front 360 rotation?

if frontroll where you don't use the kite to jump, you gonna get smacked!

if front 360 you send the kite and keep it in zenith.

Make the kite as slow as possible...inner connection of the bar, slow setting on kite. If you have a smaller bar, use that. if you have a bigger kite, use that.

That will make it much easier to keep control of the kite and keep it in the zenith.

Return to “Kitesurfing”