Rare Poster
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Beginner getting a first board

Postby aftersun » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm

Hi,
I've just started riding after have taken some lessons and already been on a kitetrip.
I'm looking to get my own board along with my 12m + 17m kites.

On to the question, my weight is 190 Ibs and as I'm a beginner plus my weight I need a larger board. I've got good deals on two Slingshot boards that costs almost the same.

Should I go with the light wind specific board Slingshot Glide 2016 159x41 or the allround Slingshot Misfit 2016 146x43,5? :o

Thanks in advance!

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Re: Beginner getting a first board

Postby matth » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:48 pm

I would personally choose the misfit. You may lose a knot or two in early planning with the Misfit, but will have a board that is more fun to ride, better in small chop, transitions, jumping and more. With a 17m kite you will have plenty of low end. Eventually you will want a much smaller board to compliment your light wind board.

ColdWeatherKiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Kakumäe, Estonia
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, France
Kite Beach, South-Africa
Vääna- Jõesuu, Estonia
Style: Freestyle and big air
Gear: Eleveight RS 8m2, 9m2, 12m2 2020
Eleveight Commander 137cm 2021

Postby ColdWeatherKiter » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:50 pm

I would also suggest the mistfit. When you are riding full powered on the 12m the glide will feel like a huge slow boat, the mistfit will be a lot more fun to ride, without sacreficing toomuch low end.

aftersun
Rare Poster

Postby aftersun » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:55 pm

Thanks for the really quick replies. So the larger Misfit size would be perfect as both a light wind board as well as an allrounder my first seasons and maybe later get a smaller board as well?

Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite

Postby Alysum » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:55 pm

When I was a beginner it was my 142 misfit which got me going instantly after using a board you small! So go the misfit. You may want to consider 142 too as 146 is pretty big still.

aftersun
Rare Poster

Postby aftersun » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:14 pm

Perfect, I think that I'll go with the larger size Misfit 2016.

Thanks a lot again for your inputs! :D

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil

Postby Lokihel » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:30 pm

If you have a choice on the board size, go for something smaller.

146x43.5 is huge, no matter your size.
You need something a size or two smaller.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:05 pm

aftersun,
First of all, welcome to kiteboarding! :D

Second, lots of good advice here. The Glide is actually an extremely fast board. It has very little rocker, except a little towards the tips. Also, just a hint of concave on the bottom. It's a surprisingly fun board that would extend your low end significantly over EITHER of the Misfits. However, it should be an ADDITION to your board quiver, not the only one. That Misfit 146 will do much better as a "do everything" board than the Glide. And at 190 lbs, you're much better off with the 146 than the 142. As a larger human (I'm 230 lbs), I would tell you that people, in general, will tend to underestimate how much board/kite you need to ride. My step down board is a 145; anything smaller than that and I have to be LIT to ride.

So, get that 146 and have yourself a blast! :thumb:

SENDIT!

Return to “Kitesurfing”