Forum for kitesurfers
jokerman
Rare Poster
Gear: FYF
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

new gear

Postby jokerman » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:13 pm

any new discoveries, developments, used-gear-sales with super light-weight boards ?

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: new gear

Postby tegirinenashi » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:33 pm

In a word: "Meet new year stuff, same as old year stuff". The only area where something is going on is hydrofoil. However, the innovation itself there is saturated too, with emphasis being shifted to mass-market and cost. With LF second generation hydrofoil coming up, it is not unrealistic to expect the previous year gear to drop below $500 (mast+fuse+wings). The other vendors who recently jumped in to alum bandwagon (and price their offerings > $1000) are woefully out of touch with reality.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby rynhardt » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:34 pm

With all the advances in hydrofoil I'm anxiously awaiting the time when we can get fart-powered hydrofoils.. :movingbutt: maybe another few years..

jokerman
Rare Poster
Gear: FYF

Postby jokerman » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:44 pm

fart powered hydrofoil? Reminds me of the downwind faster than the wind discussion - does someone remember the result ?

I actually setup a new thread instead of 'reply' within some 'super light board' thread, but, also generally this is an interesting topic.

So specifically anything on anyones mind on super-lightweight boards ? I got an ancient 'Shapes Tarifa' wooden board that is rotting slowly, it's 2kg including straps pads fins. The pads on it are fixed with woodscrews : )))

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil

Postby Lokihel » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:28 am

It is possible, and is often the case in high level racing, that the VMG downwind is greater than the wind speed.

This is not only the case for things on foils (kitefoils, International Moths, AC72 etc), but also under certain conditions for performance skiffs or catamarans.

Return to “Kitesurfing”