Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Chrono V2 18 meter unstable

For all foil kite riders
Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2
Brand Affiliation: None

Chrono V2 18 meter unstable

Postby Huib » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:31 am

My brand new Chrono flies unstable. Over time, the flapping wings occasionally in . This can happen on the water and on land. :cry:
From the ground looking up, there is nothing strange notible.
I have measure some bridles . These are listed in the attachment.
Can the difference in length explaining the instability of the kite ? Maximum 25 mm.
I reported to the reseller and he has reported to the importer of Ozone in the Netherlands.
However, untill today the importer has not given any reaction. :angryfire:
Can maybe someone here on the forum explain what's going on with the kite?
Attachments
Chrono-V2-Bridle-Check-2 _25 januari2016.jpg

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Re: Chrono V2 18 meter unstable

Postby foilholio » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:28 am

Sorry you have lost me a bit. Purple "measured in mm" is what you measured? and Orange "Fabric" is what it should be? It is important to use the same force when measuring bridles, Flysurfer recommends 5kg. Important to note a bridle can remain in a shrunk state until 15-30kg or more is applied.

To increase stability Lengthen Z or shorten B/C. The chrono1 had a knot on the C pulley line you could move to the kite to length Z. This may have the effect of limiting B slack and with it depower, but would increase stability depowered as well, which maybe what you want as well.

You can change parts of the bridle where the offending instability is occurring. You would do this in the same fashion as adjusting the mixer effects the kite.

It is also possible the kite is not sewn correctly? Does it have more tendency to do this on one side than the other? Or turn to one side more than the other? In such case you will first need to rule out the front lines or bridles being the problem.

I would just lengthen your Z first a few cm and see if you are then happy with the kite. If the problem is still bad lengthen again but less than before, etc.

If I take your purple as your measurement, add up Z/K on the tip at the bottom of pic it has 58mm of shrink not including ZMAIN/KR1 which will make it more than 58mm because it will have certainly shrunk as well. Not a lot but certainly enough to play havoc with the kite. If you measure the center of Z you should see a lot more shrink than the tips. The new chrono use thicker bridles doesn't it? Sleaved as well? Heavy bridles will have more shrinking problems than the thinner chrono1. Ozone often praised for it "magic" bridles which just "never" seem to have the problems of flysurfers, lol, all i can say is, WELCOME TO THE WATER OZONE!

And WTF is with the strange bridle terminology? K this speed system that. Jesus even flysurfer is using BR instead of Z now. It's hard enough trying to understand all this without rewriting the language every year FFS serious?

Huib
Frequent Poster
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:54 am

Yes, orange is what it should be.
I haven't measured with a weight on the lines. It was just to control if not something really was wrong.
I think Ozone has to deliver a kite ready to use. Or not?
But if it was something I could easily do themselves then that is no problem for me.
The kite, my first Chrono, has no tendency to one side.
Attachments
Chrono-V2-Bridle-Check.jpg

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:33 pm

If it's like this from new then maybe you should just return it. I have seen dud kites from pansh, not a surprise, and flysurfer , big surprise.

It could be it will sort itself out after a few uses, the pulley lines will shrink heaps and become more stable. Otherwise just move that Z knot a bit, I would guess from your measurements 4cm taking A into account.

Huib
Frequent Poster

Postby Huib » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:49 pm

THX Foilholio.
But not sure where I can find the Z knot.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:08 pm

OP's measured values mean A lines are shrinked a bit. This decreases stability, because shortening of A is same than lenghtening of B (C). That part of the kite works then at lower AoA than which it is designed, it can not tolerate it.

Solution is to stretch A (get them longer) or shorten the B (C) - or both. I would leave Z untouched because it is far back from where lift/stability problems happen and if it is slacker kite's turning suffer.

Pulleyline shrinkage may add stability, but usually it makes kite fly bad. It reduces camber of the airfoil and relatively loosens the brakes, so upwind ability and turning of the kite get worse.

Huib
Frequent Poster

Postby Huib » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:26 pm

Maybe I have to say that I found upwind not so good.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:43 pm

You must add differences in lenghts together for primary, secondary and tertiary bridle levels. If you have 2cm on shrink for every level and kite has three levels, it is 6cm total which is for sure too much.

In principle if A linerow is shrinked it should not directly ruin upwind performance. But if kite is then too unstable and you have to sheet in to avoid frontstall and overflying, kite will sit deeper in the wind window and upwind potential is restricted undirectly.

It is a high performance kite. There is a compromise you have to make between performance and stability. It makes no sense to try to make Chrono super stable but at the same time sacrifice it's best qualities. Factory settings are very probably the best compromise.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:36 am

viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2390593

Z adjustment ,inside green circle is a knot, picture from the R1.
ozoneZknot.jpg
ozoneZknot.jpg (160.85 KiB) Viewed 2596 times
A out of alignment with BCZ will ruin upwind. Kite will only sit deeper if it is design to depower onto A and B or is doing such. Also some foils will sit deeper on A alone vs A and some B.

Measurements are actual pretty even in their shrink across the kite. The measuring technique would not be correct and it is likely that most bridles haven't shrunk at all. Best to just try adjusting the kite to what is a more stable profile. Longer Z and maybe shorter B depowered. Moving the knot towards the kite will achieve a longer Z and maybe shorten B depowered.

It could be a bridle problem, mixer problem, kite profile sewn incorrect, bridle attachments in the wrong place. It could simply be the Z knot is not in the correct place or the Pulley line is too long.

Have you checked the mixer alignment and measured it's components?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:04 am

How many hours has the kite done? Has it always been unstable or has it gotten worse?

Have you flown other 18m to compare?

Return to “Foil Kites”