Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cape Hatteras in May

Forum for kitesurfers
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Re: Cape Hatteras in May

Postby marlboroughman » Sat May 10, 2014 11:46 pm

Bingo, thanks :thumb:

KiteDR
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cabarete, Minnesota
Favorite Beaches: Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica; Cabarete Bay
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Cabrinha, Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby KiteDR » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:33 pm

Bringing this back up...

Wife has 2 weeks off of school, the weeks before and after Memorial Day. Wondering what the conditions are like out there during that time... someone told me wetsuit weather, but the NOAA info says that time period should be 68-72... combined with 70's air temperature that should be fine right? Wife is just starting to ride upwind, I think a week in the Sound would give her the confidence she needs.

Worth the drive out?

KiteDR
Medium Poster

Postby KiteDR » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:03 pm

Or better to go for South Padre?

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:03 pm

Hatteras is very nice then. Before Memorial Day, the crowds are not bad and all the rental cottages rent at lower "shoulder season" rates. Prices go up around Memorial Day, so you'll likely feel better about your rental rate during the first week than the second. (Ask your rental company if you can get the pre-Memorial Day rate for both weeks. Since you're staying 2 weeks, you might get it.)

Wind and weather should be very nice then. If the wind shifts to a southwest (summertime) pattern, you'll feel comfortable without a wetsuit. If wind is hard from the north, you'll still want at least a shorty wetsuit and maybe a steamer top. Lots of people are riding then in all conditions without wetsuits.

Hatteras is definitely worth the drive at that time of year. You didn't say where your drive starts, so it's hard to compare S. Padre. If the distances are roughly the same, I'd choose Hatteras over S. Padre any day. Hatteras is much better for beginners and more fun for experienced kiters, too. Just my opinion, or course. :cool2:

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:13 am

I have been going to SPI to kite during the 2 weeks before Memorial day for the past 10 years. I live driving distance from Cape Hatteras but I prefer the conditions at SPI during that time period. It's already in the upper 80's, water temps in the mid 70's. Warm, windy, shallow water. The accommodation rates are still in low season (go up for Memorial Day weekend) No better place for a beginner.

KiteDR
Medium Poster

Postby KiteDR » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:59 am

Thanks to you both!

Driving from Minneapolis so neither is really close - but more people to see if we go to Hatteras... though the warmer waters do sound inviting :) I'll look into both locations, seems like either will be a good spot that time of year!

Return to “Kitesurfing”