Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Elite Ram Air how to/info video from Liquid Force

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Elite Ram Air how to/info video from Liquid Force

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:07 am

knotwindy wrote:are you sure it is ok to comment on how this kite flies after you have tried it? :o
I know, what a weird crazy thing to do, what am I thinking :rollgrin:

Should've been sitting on my ass in front of the computer like the rest, commenting, I know :-?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:21 am

The kite does look like it flys nice in the videos. I'm only commenting on what I see. I get a bit concerned when I see weird stuff or things lacking. I shook my head when I first saw the chrono and I am still shaking it when I see new people using foils . Having used foils for a very long time I know their ins and outs.
Last edited by foilholio on Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:25 am

For my part I have not criticized Elite for its flying but some strange designs in it.

For many years big names in foil kites have tried to decrease unnneccessary drag by optimizing bridles, to shorter, thinner and less total line lenght. Even flying lines are now thinner for racing.

Now LF is taking opposite direction, a lot of bridles and thicker bridle lines.

Line drag is not significant when kite is moving slow, in very light winds etc., or static flying in the wind window. But when maximal performance is needed, meaning high apparent wind speed, trying to make speed records or getting fast upwind eccessive drag is not a good thing.

Too much bridles make kite look messy. It is then more laborous to fix problems (undo bridle tangles and knots) and check/correct bridle shrink/stretch. Eccessive line adds some weight too, but it is minor drawback.

"It pulls like crazy - it was about 3-4 knots and he got dragged when flown fast - so the power is immense like other high AR foil kites."

It is a high AR wing. That observation does not mean too much.

Real question is: Why to choose Elite and not R1, Diablo, Sonic or Joker6? I don't know if it is priced lower, by it's design it looks it should be.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:07 pm

Okay, maybe some of you are just making observations - but it still seemed like an army of critisism before having flown the kite, very odd to read...

One reason not to choose the Diablo instead, could be the price is 35% higher :roll:
Could also be the reason to choose the Diablo though :lol:

8) Peter

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby tkettlepoint » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:15 pm

I agree 110% Peter. people should try It before bashing . I have tried a lot of kites in the last 16 years there are something I like about one and other things I like about others,,

terrie
Peter_Frank wrote:Are you guys for real ?

I have never heard so much beforehand dissing and putting down, even before having flown this kite ?

Like only established foil brands knows anything about these kites :o

It is their first shot, but IMO better success than even the first Sonic that had some issues.

Had this thought when I saw these posts, but would not say anything as what if it was correct and pure useless crap :wink:

Yesterday a friend of mine got a 12m2 Elite - he had never flown a foil kite before, so I was out helping him trim and learning how to handle a kite like that - pack up and down, backwards relaunch and turning in the air - what to try to avoid and so on, everything on land

The kite is very sturdy and tough bridles, good.

It pulls like crazy - it was about 3-4 knots and he got dragged when flown fast - so the power is immense like other high AR foil kites.
AND, it had less wing tip folding when flown low and turned sharp, than any other foil kite I've seen (F-Ones, Sonic, ELF, Chronos), at this first impression.

I have nothing "for" LF and will most likely never own a LF board or kite - but I just found this "dissing" thread so wrong that I had to comment !

No idea how it performs for racing - but honestly, the fact that this reasonably priced kite seem to work so great at first impressions, is astonishing :thumb:

8) Peter

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:17 pm

Yea I think most people like to talk sh@t about things just because they can and its not right. it does look like a nice wing. I just wish manufaturers would stop increasing the retail prices of kites every year so people can actually afford them.

plasma180
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: Hydrofoil / Twintip / Wave / Wing
Gear: too much stuff
Brand Affiliation: Duotone / Flysurfer / Ozone

Postby plasma180 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:18 am

Any news about the Elite?

I found now this:

http://www.iksurfmag.com/reviews/kites/ ... -12m-2017/

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:46 pm

I really like the way he loops the kite in the beginning of the video before water starting. It would be really nice if he created a video on water starting. Looks like he almost stalls the kite and once it is in position, off he goes without being pulled downwind.

He also has good advice on keeping tension on the steering lines while launching. Like everyone else, I find launching the kite more downwind works much better. The nice thing about hydrofoiling is that we can use relatively smaller kites and launching more downwind is less of a problem, the hot launch is not as bad.

It is great that everyone shares their ideas, but let's not be to critical of someone's video unless we are planning on making our own video.

My suggestion would be looping, kite stalling water start videos.

Return to “Kitesurfing”