Nobile NHP Split 138cm 2016
RRD C.O.T.A.N 2015 5.6
Rideengine Bamboo forest Harness with metal slider bar
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

board recommendation

Postby macu2000 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:16 am

Ive been kiting with a used strapless 5.6. RRD c.o.t.a.n. 2015 for a few moths now. In general i actually just started surfing with a wave board, but as it is used and made of foam, it has a lot of damage and i think it will soon make its last ride. I really love this board, it is light, its really easy to ride waves with it and im looking forward to make some tricks with it and maybe even loops in future. Have tried some other boards, still like mine the most. I live in Estonia so good waves only arise with storms. There still is chop, what with i have practised tricks.
I would like to buy a light strong board for Freestyle mainly but also for riding waves. I truly like my boards cut and 5.6. seemed like a good length too. I weight about 55kg and im c 170cm tall
Because im going to buy a new board soon, I need your advise. What do you think, what board would suit me best? Are there any boards, what are light and made of foam, but are strong and not as breakable as my cotan?
Cheers,
Marcus

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Re: board recommendation

Postby Da Yoda » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:03 pm

I need some clarification on a few things in order to give you some recommendations.
First is what do you mean by "cut"? Are you referencing the chopped nose, compact shapes like your COTAN?
Can you list the board models, board sizes, and the fin size and type (flat or inside foiled), and fin configurations of the boards that you compared your COTAN too?
What fins and configuration are you running on your COTAN? Are the front fins flat or inside foiled?
Do you want or need the ability to use straps or is a dedicated strapless (no inserts) board ok for you?

At 55kg, and the fact that you have spent some time already on a relatively high volume board for kiting, you're now going to benefit by getting something lower volume, but it will take a bit to get used to it. The 5'6 COTAN is something that for your weight you could have been literally using it for regular surfing due to it's volume. For kiting, volume is not as crucial, so down sizing 2-4 liters in volume is more ideal for kiting purposes.

If you are looking for a compact shaped board like your COTAN, but lighter weight, your best bet is something without strap inserts. Inserts adds weight. If you're not picky about fin configuration options, then a board with a thruster fin (3 fin) set-up will also be a bit lighter.
If you can answer most or all of the questions above, that would really be helpful in offering some recommendations. I know the fin questions may be too technical, but it may contribute to why you didn't like the other boards. Fins are a bigger equation than many realize, so it's good to know what you have and what you've tried.

macu2000
Rare Poster
Style: Freestyle,Big Air, Strapless wave
Gear: 7m2, 9m2, 12m2 Fone Bandit 2015
RRD C.O.T.A.N 2015 5.6

Postby macu2000 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:10 pm

Iam using a set of 3 RR Pro Active Glass Flex Sets, 2 side fins on the side and one centre fin in the middle. One of the boards i tried and did not really enjoy was Gaastra fLASH, with the same fin layout as i have. Tried it with and without the straps, it was really difficult for me to surf with it.
I dont need to use traps, and im not looking forward, to. I would also like a board with 3 fin set-up.

macu2000
Rare Poster
Style: Freestyle,Big Air, Strapless wave
Gear: 7m2, 9m2, 12m2 Fone Bandit 2015
RRD C.O.T.A.N 2015 5.6

Postby macu2000 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:09 pm

Ive seen really cool videos of TDZ stallion, but never knew what board it was. Kind of dreamed about it, until now my friend told me the name of the board. I know it is really strong board, but what about the weight? What do you think of this board, and would it suit me. Because we have lighter winds mainly, i would consider size 5’4 or 5’2
What about the fins? What fins([3] 1 centre and two side ) would suit this board, my riding style and our weather conditions?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:15 pm

You could get a 4-10 Firewire Evo. I'm 78 kg and 173 cm on a custom 4-10 X18,5 compact with 17 liters, in Southern Sweden, so similar conditions.
There's a shop in Kiel Germany selling Evo.
Here's me on my board on recent trip to Brazil
CB3A5B3AB34E7B9B6C90B81D9AA95F9C.jpg
DSC_0124.JPG
DSC_0125.JPG

Return to “Kitesurfing”