JeffD
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

GoPro views

Postby JeffD » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:40 pm

Hi,

So I treated myself to a GoPro Hero 5 for Christmas for various sports & adventures.

Any tips/tricks/advice to get the best out of it for kiteboarding? I used a Chesty today but that wasn't too great. Thinking of getting a strut or line mount.

Thanks.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com

Re: GoPro views

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:04 pm

Strut mount, fin mount and line mount are my favorites.

Werito
Medium Poster
Gear: kites, boards

Postby Werito » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:20 pm

line and mouth mounts are best imo

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:37 pm

where can i find a line mount for the hero 5 black ?
thx!

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:56 pm

K-Roy wrote:where can i find a line mount for the hero 5 black ?
thx!

https://www.kiteboarding.com/proddetail ... ount_HERO3

This one works with the 5, 4 and 3.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:00 am

fullsizeoutput_cba.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_c62.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_c08.jpeg

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:25 am

I only use the line mount and mouth mount. If you wear a helmet you can go that route too. You can try the selfie stick, but you have to be pretty good a riding one-handed to get anything that looks halfway decent. Look at brandon scheid's instagram for some ideas https://www.instagram.com/brandonscheid/, he has some really nice gopro shots.

I would DEFINITELY recommend the beastmount instead of the camrig if you want to get a line mount. The camrig is kind of a pain in the ass to get all the green rubber things on and off and keep the line tension evened out. The beastmount just takes 2 seconds to clip on and your kite can still flag out.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:02 am

Whats wrong with the chest mount I mainly use the chest mount and board mount. bought a line mount but didn't get around to using it yet though. As for filming I have a model 4 and use 1080p at 60fps works the best in my opinion , you get really nice smooth and clear picture. also try to film in direct sunlight , low light and cloudy days are bad for clear video.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:51 am

Use your imagination. Getting a good viddy is a lot like writing a good book. It's not just which word you use in a book it's about how you put them together. Same with videos. You want to have a vision in your mind of what you want to do and then you use this vision to create the video. Strut mounts are fine, chest mounts, mouth mounts, board mounts they are all fine. Imagine yourself where the mount is and pretend you will see what it sees. I usually just grab the gopro in my hand (never use a stick), or throw it on a little boat I made that has a steadicam but that's my vision of what I want to create. Others like what the chest mount does or what the line mount does. Bring out your creative self. Sorry if this is really vague but I think a great video is more about the vision of what you want to create than which particular mount you use. Mounts are really cheap compared to cameras so buy a bunch and see what works for you. I think I have 50 mounts but I end up using the same 2 or 3 the most and like I said, turns out that I actually like just holding it in my hand the most but that's just my vision of what i want to make.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:46 am

Play with the fields of view as well.(FOV) For the Chesty and 3rd person/backpack mount use the Super Wide view. For the strut mount narrow the FOV or you'll look like an ant and see the wing tips of the kite in frame. Line mount is subjective as to how far away you mount the camera.

Buy the wrist remote too.

Return to “Kitesurfing”