7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New Zeeko Alloy Foil Green White

Postby tswierkocki » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:29 am

I started foiling in August on the Black and White. Two months later I was still having trouble foiling through transistions so I bought the Carver wing. The Carver wing was so much easier since it comes up onto the foil at a much lower speed and you can almost come to a dead stop while transitioning without dropping off the foil.

After 3 months on the Carver I'm looking for more speed during transitions and just put the Black wing back on my foil for my next session.

I'd recommend starting with the Carver wing. My friends who ride the original Liquid Force foil have no issue jumping onto my foil with the Carver wing since it seems to stay on a plane just as easy.

I'm just a beginner when it comes to foiling but I think the Carver wing is much more stable than the original Liquid Force foil.

I ride only with a NSI front hook mount as far forward as possible but my feet are pretty much dead centered over the foot strap inserts on my 5'4" Slash board.

I would start with the front and rear straps centered on the inserts.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:10 am

Thanks Bragnouff for the feedback.
I am also convinced the extra fuselage length will make the Zeeko more pitch stable than the Double Agent. The experienced riders I've lent the Cab DA for testing also found it less stable than their race foils.
After having tried a prototype of the Double Agent with a 15 cm longer fuselage, I wonder why Cabrinha haven't opted for that length to start with; it's so much more stable, easier and even faster. But I'll keep it as it is because I got used to it, and there is fun in low speed carving too. I'd liken it to a floater hang-glider, or a Super Cub plane.
bragnouff wrote:I've got the Blue/White freeride on the Slash 5'4" and clocked a few sessions on a Double Agent. I think that if you're to the point where you outgrew the Double Agent, you should not fear a bit of speed gain from the freeride wing, you'll actually love that extra efficiency. Once you get your foot position right, it is pretty reassuringly stable at speed, actually more so than the Double Agent, maybe due to fuselage length and extra fin. Your jibes and transitions might become more challenging though, and maybe the Carver wing will be a good intermediate step for that regard. I wish I had that wing for slower speed transitions instead of having to commit to higher speed, sometimes painful ones!

I can't really comment on the footstraps positions. Middle for the back, just behind the mast is a safe choice, but on the Slash, I found that the frontmost position of the front strap should be further forward by a good 5cm, as I'm quite tall and used to a wide stance. And because of that feeling pretty awkward, I've quickly ditched the straps and I've been riding it strapless ever since. (with or without its foil appendage).

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:24 am

You comment confirms my assumption that one should begin with the Carver wing if we have the choice, Tswierlocki. Let me know your impressions when you'll move to the FreeRide B&W wing.
I don't think the Carver wing is more intrinsically more stable than the Liquid Force wing, but it's the length of the fuselage which makes the hydrofoil configuration more stable. I believe the Liquid Force has a fuselage as short as the Cabrinha's Double Agent.
Cheers
Alex
tswierkocki wrote:I started foiling in August on the Black and White. Two months later I was still having trouble foiling through transistions so I bought the Carver wing. The Carver wing was so much easier since it comes up onto the foil at a much lower speed and you can almost come to a dead stop while transitioning without dropping off the foil.

After 3 months on the Carver I'm looking for more speed during transitions and just put the Black wing back on my foil for my next session.

I'd recommend starting with the Carver wing. My friends who ride the original Liquid Force foil have no issue jumping onto my foil with the Carver wing since it seems to stay on a plane just as easy.

I'm just a beginner when it comes to foiling but I think the Carver wing is much more stable than the original Liquid Force foil.

I ride only with a NSI front hook mount as far forward as possible but my feet are pretty much dead centered over the foot strap inserts on my 5'4" Slash board.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:14 am

tswierkocki wrote: I ride only with a NSI front hook mount as far forward as possible but my feet are pretty much dead centered over the foot strap inserts on my 5'4" Slash board.

Can I ask you what size you are? (I'm 6'2"). As I said I'm a bit disappointed that there isn't a position further forward for the front foot. I'll add an insert or two in the near future

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:24 pm

There is a lot of variability to stance. Mine has naturally narrowed quite a bit from what it was at the beginning. Happened pretty gradually, to reduce leg fatigue and smooth out the ride.

If your still in the first year or so, I would resist the urge to throw new inserts into the board and first put the effort playing with narrowing your stance. Moving the back foot an inch or two forward should bring your front foot back to the inserts. I would worry that in time you may no longer want the inserts you went through the trouble of adding. Changing stance feels plenty weird at first, so give yourself enough time to see if it actually grows on you.

I foil strapless, and tend to use a more narrow stance for level riding upwind, and a slightly wider stance when carving around off the wind where there are more dynamic pitch changes. The wider stance is definitely more leg intensive and likely not really as important if riding in straps.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:57 pm

If you are interested here is a comparison of the zeeko carver v std front wing v Spitfire rear wing (the larger one)
IMG_0363.JPG

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:04 pm

Jzh_perth wrote:If you are interested here is a comparison of the zeeko carver v std front wing v Spitfire rear wing (the larger one)IMG_0363.JPG
Wow :o

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
Cloud F28 surf foil

Postby tswierkocki » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:49 pm

Hi Bragnouff,

I'm 5'8". With the single front hook in the forward position I'm effectively riding strapless once up on the board. My feet have naturally found the position centered on the inserts. Only been foiling for 5 months so my stance might change with time.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:31 pm

OK, it looks like I'm the alien here with a wider than usual stance. I can understand that I'm still fresh on the foil since starting in July (a.k.a Winter) and that my foot positioning may evolve and narrow, but even when I'm using the Slash as a kite surfboard (strapless), my front foot is also further forward than the inserts would allow. Pretty much exact same position than when foiling, with only adjustment on the back foot depending on going upwind or being on a wave, which is pretty standard... I have been riding strapless surfboards for years and years, and I assume my stance is quite settled, and wide, and that's where I'd like my straps to be.
I think the foil plate is positioned perfectly so that the foot position on the board is pretty much the same with or without foil, which makes sense.
It doesn't really matter too much at the moment, as I'm riding strapless but I'm tempted to give straps another go, mostly for surfing in some strong conditions, and the Slash being the smallest in my quiver would be a good candidate for strapped riding if only I could put the front strap slightly further forward (and void the warranty).

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
Cloud F28 surf foil

Postby tswierkocki » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:43 am

I''m 5 months into foiling. First 2 months were on the Black and White foil with the stock wings. Next 3 months on the Carver wing. Now that I'm foiling through my transitions and falling only a few times per session I decided to put the Black wing back on.

Rode for 3 hours on the Black wing today and then switched to the Carver wing for another 2 hours. The wind was pretty consistent throughout the session.

No issues riding the Black wing now and did some of my best carves to date.

The Carver wing planes much earlier, points further upwind, and seemed to require less front foot pressure and skill to ride than the Black wing. After riding the Black wing again I think they should have named the Carver the Floater instead. It creates a ton of lift and lets you ride real slow while still planing.

I felt like the Black wing carved better and had a better overall feel but was a bit more work to ride.

I would highly recommend the Carver wing for learning. I think it definitely improve my learning curve.

Return to “Hydrofoil”