Favorite Beaches: Sunset Beach - Cape Town
Style: Wave, Wake
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Cape Town by myself

Postby janeko » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:45 am

Hi guys,

In 2 weeks I will be doing a solo trip to Cape Town. I'm going to stay in a surf hostel so I hope to find some kite buddies there but it may not happen at the day 1.

So I'm just looking for some tips regarding kiting to stay safe, dos an donts. As for my skills I'm pretty advanced, I've been kiting for many years but I'm curious about things like letting your gear and other stuff on a beach (like food, drinks, electronics, etc) or really anything that a guy who used to kite mainly in Europe should know, when going to CT. Will really appreciate!

Thanks!

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Re: Cape Town by myself

Postby Frank82 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:33 pm

Don't leave anything on the beach, if you have to you can leave your pump at the beach but put it in some bag or else the sand will destroy it in 30 minutes. Be a bit more carefull on where you go, especially at night. In bloubergstrand it's quite safe, but some other parts of cape town are not. Don't be an ignorant tourist, be aware of your surroundings and you'll have a great time.

Get a watertight bag which you can put under your wetsuit for your keys, don't leave stuff in sight in your car. Don't rent a car from one of those 'cheap' car rental agencies, rent a new car at the airport for 10% more cost, at least it will not break down all the time...

Barbs
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island (UK),
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Langebaan, Kitebeach (Cape Town),Pointe D'Esny (Mauritius)
Style: Foil/twintip
Gear: Cabrinha switchblades/drifters. Slingshot Hoverglide + Dwarfcraft
Has thanked: 0

Postby Barbs » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:32 pm

Top tips.

1. Take uber everywhere if you aren't in your hire car
2. Don't leave anything in view in the hire car.
3. ClI'm lions head a couple of times - the views can be so different
4. IF you can, hire a car. Go to langebaan via the west coast national park and Cape point is a must
5. If you can get a small team I'd recommend a night in buffelsfontain in tents and a braai is cheap and fun being out with kudu and giraffes running around.
6. Join a group on a wine lands tour

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:40 am

I went alone 3 times ,no problem at all. I rent car at airport from kennings about 11 12 euro a day.on windy days I hide car keys under the sand close to tire ,some use waterproof bag.I leave pump and stuff at beach inside an old bag (put stone on it).
too many kiters on water ...a queue for the wave ...6 meter kite morning .....5 in the afternoon.
blouberg no problem day and night.
shark cage ,table mountain ,platboom..... a must.
in 2014 went one month with my wife and she has been the only problem I had in CPT

janeko
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sunset Beach - Cape Town
Style: Wave, Wake
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby janeko » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:35 am

Thank you guys! Much appreciated!

How about letting a kite gear on a beach when on the water? Example, sometimes I don't know which kite size to take, then I take 2 sets. Or sometimes when conditions change, I set up another kite and let the other one on a beach. Or letting a different board. Is it safe or I should better take only what will come with me on the water (except a bag and a pump)?

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro
Has thanked: 0

Postby Lanc » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:16 pm

I kite alone most of the time, trying to find the most uncrowded spot. There are plenty of kiters/spectators around looking out for you if you worried about drowning or losing a board.

The only thing I leave on the beach sometimes is a pump. However it may be (ab)used by other kiters while you're on the water. Put it in a plastic bag and bury it. Only had one pump disappear in ten years.

I would not suggest leaving a kite or board on the beach. Firstly the wind and sun damage. Second I have heard of cases where some euro visitors "upgrade" their kit in the last few days of their holiday, giving SA the bad name for kites taken off our beaches. Our local criminals mostly steal out of cars when they see kiters heading down to the water they know they have plenty of time to shop. Some car guards are part of the car crime syndicate. It is probably safer to leave kites on the beach but ultimately safest to leave at home, just take the kite you need.

Do not leave any electronics on beach or in the car. Leave it at home or keep it on you. I keep my car keys and phone in a waterproof aquapac pouch under my wetsuit. If you don't have a waterproof pouch put it in a plastic bag and bury it at the base of a dune or under a plant you know you will find later.

Do not walk around alone at night. There is a good chance you could be mugged. Walking in a group you should not have any problems. Crime is not a major problem in CT but a minor annoyance at times.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:33 am

Agreed, don't leave kites or boards on the beach. I've never had a problem with leaving gear in my car at well-frequented beaches like Kite Beach or Dolphin or Sunset, and I always leave my windows cracked, which most South Africans don't do. Pay attention to the forecast for places further east when no SEaster is forecast for Cape Town, like Witsand, Stilbaai, or Struisbaai. And if you really know your stuff, try the points further south towards Cape Point, like Witsands/Scarborough, or even the smallish beach near Cape Point. Use the Spots pages. Have fun, and pay attention to the news on the KOTA, it's amazing to watch in person, if it has happened yet. Wish I was still there!

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:22 am

You may be leaving for Cape Town in the next couple of days but I wrote this blog post a few years back and updated in December with my tips for coming here (this is my 13th year!). There may still be some good points that will help you when you arrive.
It's been a great season so far with wind nearly everyday and the beaches are just getting a little quieter after the hectic holiday period. Hopefully see you on the water :D

https://www.progression.me/blog/tips-fo ... cape-town/

Return to “Kitesurfing”