Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

foil kites vs inflatable racing kites for racing + foil boards vs race boards?

Forum for kitesurfers
Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: foil kites vs inflatable racing kites for racing + foil boards vs race boards?

Postby Johhnn » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:23 am

Thank you, Pump Me Up, for your valuable post. You are right in so many ways. I can see how LEI's are far superior for riders who like to kite in limited spots where the wind is always strong, steady and within an acceptable range. For the rest of us, in the real world, we prefer a more adaptive wing that allows us to take advantage of the full range of conditions we may face. I've been out on skiis for the past 6 days, after a solid season on the water with the foilboard. There's no way an inflato would have worked on any of the days. Sure, an LEI would be great if my local spot had steady reliable winds. But it's always shifty, light and variable kinds of stuff. The foils stay airborne even in the lulls. And if there's a compete wind drop out, the relaunch is effortless when the wind returns. The foils make it fun to get out and ride, no matter what the wind is doing. The other day I had to run to get the kite in the air, but once airborne, I could ski as long as I wanted. I've got about 115 sessions this year, the vast majority (100+) of which were on the water, maybe 10 were on the LEI, the rest were all on the foils.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Re: foil kites vs inflatable racing kites for racing + foil boards vs race boards?

Postby grigorib » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:55 am

PMU is like that doctor who's saying "eat less, exercise more, it's really good for you. If you need a proof, look at those pictures"
And bunch of people are like "nah, you're just a troll and foil shamer, your whole existence is just to make us feel bad"

I don't know where PMU takes the energy to repeat all the same, I'd rather kite...
Let's sum up: to win races in 2016-2017 you need a foil kite and a hydrofoil and tons of practicing both.
If you didn't already know that, it might be not a combination for you.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:25 am

Pump me up wrote:
grigorib wrote:I could ride 15m Turbine (INFLATABLE) in less wind that my 19m Speed3 Deluxe partially because I can work the inflatable a bit. Just this October I stayed upwind in 6-7knots in OBX while 2 guys - one on S3 19m another on S3 21m ended up way downwind at the same time.
This is a familiar story. Large inflatables are MUCH better than ram airs in light wind.
That's weird because my 100kg+ was hauled on water + door twintip with previour generation racing foil when Turbines cannot fly nor launch.

But instead of just empty ignorant words I provide proofs.

https://youtu.be/5CxSGhN4iPc

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:20 am

joriws wrote:
Pump me up wrote:
grigorib wrote:I could ride 15m Turbine (INFLATABLE) in less wind that my 19m Speed3 Deluxe partially because I can work the inflatable a bit. Just this October I stayed upwind in 6-7knots in OBX while 2 guys - one on S3 19m another on S3 21m ended up way downwind at the same time.
This is a familiar story. Large inflatables are MUCH better than ram airs in light wind.
That's weird because my 100kg+ was hauled on water + door twintip with previour generation racing foil when Turbines cannot fly nor launch.

https://youtu.be/5CxSGhN4iPc

I so wish i had a video of my last session. Was out in low winds with my aurora2 15m managing to stay up wind of 2 guys that had 17m lei kites. Was smiling ear to ear.

EricSanders
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro Beach Detroit
Favorite Beaches: Tawas, OBX
Style: Freeride
Gear: Blade Trigger 7.0
LF NRG 10.0
Best Kahuna 13.5
Blade Fat Lady 17.0
Royal Rush 19.0
Pansh Aurora2 22m
Spleen door 164
OceanRodeo Mako King
Liquid Force Edge 146
Axis Vanguard 148
Axis Vanguard 136
Been thanked: 0

Postby EricSanders » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:02 pm

Looking back on Memorial day here in Michigan, the wind was blowing 8-10mph and oddly enough, pretty consistently. I was the only one able to ride with my 22m Aurora and Spleen door. Staying upwind was almost a problem in that I had to do some down winders to keep from getting too off track. I had to be really careful to keep enough line tension in order not to fold the kite, (learned that the hard way, luckily I was able to relaunch).

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:17 am

joriws wrote:
Pump me up wrote:

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to ride that Turbine just fine.

Trickyh
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha / Nobile
Been thanked: 0

Postby Trickyh » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:04 pm

Pump me up wrote:
No - apart from windward legs in racing, ram airs are INFERIOR compared to inflatables in ALL other aspect of kiting. I'll post detailed reasons soon.

Pumpy :pump:

F-me! I've been a member of this forum for nearly ten years and you're still spouting this same crap! Isn't it time you found another hobby/girlfriend?

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:20 pm

So if the F-one Bandit holds the world water speed record ' why bother argueing.. :cool2:

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:41 am

ShaveTheWhales wrote:So if the F-one Bandit holds the world water speed record ' why bother argueing.. :cool2:

Because the pilot obviously lacks the skill to fly a foil kite that would be faster.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:51 pm

socommk23 wrote:
ShaveTheWhales wrote:So if the F-one Bandit holds the world water speed record ' why bother argueing.. :cool2:

Because the pilot obviously lacks the skill to fly a foil kite that would be faster.
Well that just makes Alex Caizergues that fastest kiter on the planet over foils and inflatables...

Hes 'Put Up'... so the rest will have to Shut Up...
Until they beat him :cool2:

Keyboard warriors Ohhh my ....

Return to “Kitesurfing”